Monday, 14 July 2008

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (or Death by Chocolate)


I didn't show you the cake that my Mum made for me did I?! Usually for birthdays I always make the cakes in our family, but of course my Mum wouldn't let me bake my own. Plus, I was already baking a cake for Scott's sister whose birthday is the day before mine. Well, there it is. Everyone who knows me knows I love chocolate, so of course a chocolate cake was the natural choice. It was actually a recipe from one of my own books, all chocolate recipes! We renamed it Death By Chocolate, we were all so full afterwards! So delicious though.

Ingredients
For the cake
180g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
330g caster sugar
4 eggs, seperated
110g self raising flour
35g cocoa powder
180ml buttermilk

For the chocolate filling
400g dark eating chocolate, melted
250g butter, melted
80g icing sugar

1. Preheat oven to gas mark 4/350F. Grease a 20cm cake tin and line with baking parchment.

2. Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks on e at a time, until just combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk.

3. Beat egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the cake mixture in 2 goes. Pour cake mix into prepared tin and bake from about 1 hour. Cool in cake tin.

4. Mix together ingredients for the chocolate filling. Split the cake into 3 layers (or two as we did!). Spread mixture onto middle and layer up and spread remaining filling over the outside of the cake. Refrigerate before serving, but allow to return to room temperature before serving.


Enjoy with a drizzle of cream! Don't eat too much though, this is a seriously chocolatey cake.




2 comments:

  1. Sarah at TasteSpotting15 July 2008 18:01

    i guess if you're gonna go, go big, and go with chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate Buttermilk sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails