Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Wild blackberries


Wild blackberries are in season here and there are lots of them now growing wild on bushes near where we always walk Pepe, near some farmers fields. Last week my Mum went picking some and we gobbled them all down so quickly. Free yummy food!! In this 'credit crunch', free food is something very special, especially when soft fruit is so expensive in the supermarket. Over the weekend my Mum & Dad went blackberry picking and brought home 4lbs 7oz of blackberries! All free! When in the supermarket, we looked at how much blackberries were. £1.99 for 150g, so we had picked about £13 worth of blackberries, for free!

I decided to make some jam with some of the blackberries and oh my. It is so delicious. I think it's even nicer than the strawberry and raspberry jam I made a few weeks ago.


I used the same recipe that I did last time. The blackberries stayed together a bit more so the jam was lumpier but I like a lumpy jam personally. They are so delicious. We still have 2 huge punnets of blackberries left in our fridge so I'm going to make these from Smitten Kitchen but obviously use blackberries instead of blueberries. They will be so delicious. And in a few weeks, there will be even more blackberries to go and pick! I might make a lovely autumnal blackberry and apple pie, even though it is only August.

3 comments:

  1. You made me SOOO hungry.
    You make that look OH so delicious.

    The only kinda' jam I have in my house is store bought. It's boring jam. :(

    I'm envious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum...
    I was in California a couple of weeks ago and there were blackberries in the garden. So sunny and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails