Sunday, 3 August 2008

Yummy carrot cake


I was bored on Friday night so of course I decided to bake. I settled ona carrot cake because you really cannot beat a nice, lightly spiced carrot cake. Usual recipes have a cream cheese frosting but this recipe from the Asda magazine used a buttercream frosting which I personally prefer. Cream cheese frosting can be hard to get right and can either be really sweet or really cheesy. The original recipe was for a pumpkin cake but as pumpkin is now out of season I thought I could just as easily do it with carrots. The carrots aren't grated, but pureed, so it makes the cake very moist and lovely. It's also a good way to disguise the carrots if people say they won't like it because they don't like carrots!

You need 300g carrot puree, which was about 4 or 5 medium carrots chopped up, boiled until ready to mash and then pureed. Then you just follow the recipe, courtesy of Asda

  • 300g plain flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼tsp grated nutmeg
  • ¼tsp ground cloves
  • 125g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
  • 275g soft brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 300g pumpkin purée
  • 75g currants (optional, I omitted them)
  • 75g walnut pieces, chopped (optional again, but I like nuts in carrot cake. I also sprinkled some ontop instead of orange zest)
  • 3tbsp full-fat milk (I totally missed this out by accident but the cake turned out perfect anyway)

For the icing:
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 2tbsp orange juice
  • grated zest of 1 small orange
Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease the bases of two 20cm round, shallow cake tins, and line with baking paper. Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.

2. Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding 1 tablespoon of flour mixture with the second egg.

3. Fold in remaining flour mix, pumpkin purée, currants and walnuts. Put into cake tins and bake for 40 minutes.

4. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out to finish cooling on a wire rack.

5. To make the icing, beat butter, icing sugar, orange juice and most of zest together until fluffy. Use to sandwich cakes together and spread on top. Sprinkle with the rest of the zest.


1 comment:

  1. Recipe Stolen. Thanks.

    BTW: you owe me a monitor. Mine got corroded from my saliva. :P

    PS. I may post my monstrosity once I'm done with it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails