Monday, 13 October 2008

Apple Crumb Cake

I made this cake to use up some of the apples I picked last week and it was so lovely. It was totally different to the other apple cake that I had previously made. The apple was actually inside the cake and it was so deliciously moist. The perfect dessert after a lovely roast dinner with pork and apple sauce! Of course we had to serve it with custard.
The recipe is from a book that my Mum bought me and is actually the first thing i've baked out of it. One of the things that irks me about it is that there aren't many pictures, so you can never know what stuff is going to turn out like. I know it's shallow but I usually only bake recipes with photos! This turned out very nice anyway so maybe I should stop judging a recipe by it's photo (or lack of)

Ingredients

140g unsalted butter
450g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped (this was about 2 1/2 large bramleys for me)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1tsp ground cinnamon (if I made it again I would probably add more, but that's cos I looooove cinnamon)
225g plain flour
150g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp soured cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb
Pinch of salt


Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4. Grease and flour a 20cm cake tin. Melt 25g of the butter in a suacepan. Add the apples, sprinkle in the nutmeg and half the cinnamon and stir together. Reduce the heat and keep cooking the apples for about 5 minutes, until tender.

2. Rub together 25g each of the flour, remaining butter and sugar together to make the crumble topping mix.

3. Cream together the remaining butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs. Beat in the soured cream and vanilla extract.

4. Sift together the remaining dry ingredients, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Fold together gently.

5. Stir in the warm apples and then spoon into the prepared cake tin. Sprinkle over the crumble topping then bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin, then slice and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Nice cake.
    If you like savory dishes, you can try apples with blood pudding.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails