Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Chocolate chip cookies

Okay, so I haven't really been posting as much baking as I used to but now I've made 2 posts on the run of things that I've baked! I have been so bored being stuck in the house - I may even venture out tomorrow as I'm feeling better. I need to get dressed at least - I have been in my pajamas since Sunday afternoon. (Disclaimer - I have had a shower and put clean pajamas on within this time frame...but still.)

Anyway, boredom got to me today so I was going through my old print-out recipes from when I first started baking and started writing them up in a cute notepad my sister got me - it is A4 and has lovely cupcakes on it, with pink pages, perfect for recipe keeping! I found a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that was one of the first things I ever baked properly, by myself. I started off just on vanilla cupcakes, then progressed to these. They are amazing. I made different variations on them too, such as with peanut butter or with white chocolate. Then for some reason, I just stopped making them. I have no idea why, they are so delicious. So I made them again since I had all the ingredients in.

the best choc chip cookies ever

Look at how delicious they look! All piled up like that - yum. However, I don't think I could manage to eat all of those really, they are so rich and more-ish. They make you want to have a cold drink of milk afterwards - the sign of a perfect cookie, no?

The recipe is from A Spoonful of Sugar, who calls them the ultimate choc chip cookies - and they really are.

300g plain (all-purpose) flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 teaspoon fine salt
170g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
215g light brown sugar
120g granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
300g milk chocolate (I use Asda's own milk chocolate bars, chopped up to get nice chunks and smaller bits too)

1. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set to one side.

2. Mix together the melted butter, vanilla and the sugars. Add in the egg, followed by the egg yolk.

3. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients and the chopped up chocolate (you may have to get your hands in here and get messy!)

4. Once it becomes a yummy dough, cover the bowl with clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, to let the dough firm up. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190C.

5. Place the dough in small balls on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake in the oven for approx. 10-12 minutes, until the edges just begin to turn golden. They make seem soft and doughy still in the middle - but don't be tempted to put them back in! Once they cool they set and become lovely and chewy, rather than hard and crunchy.

6. Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!

the best choc chip cookies ever

4 comments:

  1. It's a pajama sort of week. Those cookies look wonderful. The huge chocolate chunks are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh. whatever it is that you make, always looks soooooo good!!

    HAAPY NEW YEAR!!

    ♥sb

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you honey :)
    gorgeous cookies, yum!!
    happy 2009!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails