Friday, 19 December 2008

My favourite christmas songs (in no particular order)


So I am feeling fairly festive now after finishing uni for the year! I've still got lots of work to do, but I am taking a slight break from it to do some baking and listen to christmas music. I love christmas music! These are some of my favourites - they are a mix of traditional, goldie oldies and alternative christmas songs. I love them all though and they never fail to make me feel christmas.

The Pipettes - White Christmas
I can't hear that 'ooh ahh ooh ahh ooh' without thinking of snowflakes falling and christmas. Such a lovely little version of this song.

Sufjan Stevens - Come on, let's boogey to the elf dance!
This is my favourite Sufjan Stevens christmas song I think. He has lots and versions of traditional hymns too, but I love this one the most. Have a listen!

Slade - Merry Christmas everyone
This, along with the Wizzard song below, will never fail to make me smile! It reminds me of being younger and my Mum and Dad always saying 'oooh remember this song, they don't make them like they used to!'. Favourite bits - 'IT'S CHRISTMAAAAAAAS' and 'what will your daddy say when he sees your momma kissing santa?'. Teehee!

Death Cab For Cutie - Christmas (baby please come home)
Ahh Benjamin Gibbard. This is quite a sad song, yet very christmassy too in a weird way. I love this, it reminds me of that past 2 or 3 christmases.

Dean Martin - Let it snow!
Of course, you can't beat the classics.

The Hives & Cyndi Lauper - Christmas Duel
The complete opposite of a classic I think! Yet very funny. 'I bought no gift this year and I slept with your sister. I know I should've thought twice before I kissed her....' then the jingle bells kick in and woo! Cyndi Lauper bites back.

Bing Crosby - Santa Claus is coming to town
Yet another classic. Everyone can sing along to this and feel merry!

The Knife - Christmas Reindeer
Not really very christmassy, but hey, it has jingle bells.

Wizzard - I wish it could be christmas everyday
I always get this confused with the Slade song and I don't really wish it could be christmas everyday, but it's so merry and glam!

El Perro Del Mar - Oh what a christmas
Jingle bells twinkling...beautiful vocals. This could be a new christmas classic methinks.

Elton John - Step into christmas
Oh the 70s. They produced a plethora of good christmas songs (like Slade and Wizzard's) and this is another one of them.

Hope you all enjoy all of these and get feeling festive! I'm going to do some christmas baking now and listen to these songs!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time off!! Impossible not to, what with Christmas baking around the corner!! I also love Slade and Wizzard's songs (and the Sufjan track too) - they're ideal for the Christmas spirit!! Sad you missed off Wham! though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I like all of the 70s ones, but thanks for linking these. I really needed some more Christmas songs in my woefully small music collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list of songs! I made a similar playlist on my blog. Check it out.

    I love the Pipettes AND I'm definitely going to listen to the song by The Hives & Cindi Lauper.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails