Wednesday, 14 January 2009

Chocolate orange cupcakes

chocolate orange cupcakes

I had my first exam yesterday, and my last one isn't for another week so today I decided to take it easy (especially after I'd been a bit poorly again). I had a leisurely bath and then decided to bake these cupcakes. The recipe is a Rachel Allen recipe for chocolate cake, but it suggested adding some orange zest and since I love chocolate oranges I thought I would try this. It is also a text run for Scott's birthday cake in 2 weeks which will be a big chocolate orange cake!

Ingredients

125g dark chocolate, chopped up
3 tbsp milk
150g butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
200g plain flour
1 tbsp good quality cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
Zest of one orange
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice


Method

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. Place cupcake cases in a muffin tin.

2. Melt the chocolate and milk in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Keep stirring until it's melted thoroughly, then remove from the heat. Leave to cool slightly.

3. Soften the butter with a fork, then add the caster sugar and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. It may look curdled a bit at this point but don't worry! It'll look like a cake batter more at the next step.

4. Stir in the melted chocolate and milk mixture. Then, sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into the mixture and fold in gently. Do this in about 4 stages, folding everything in thoroughly, then adding more of the dry ingredients. Stir in the orange zest and juice at this stage.

5. Pour the cake mixture into the cake cases and bake for approximately 20 minutes. I used rather large cupcake cases and it look slightly longer, but smaller cases may need less time. Remove from the oven once the top feels spongy when pressed lightly or a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool and make the icing.

chocolate orange cupcakes

For the icing

150g butter, at room temperature
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp cocoa
250g icing sugar
Zest of 1/2 orange
1 tbsp orange juice

1. Soften the butter gently until it is very soft and easy to stir. Then, gradually mix in the icing sugar.

2. Add the cocoa powder, milk and orange zest and juice and the remaining icing sugar, then mix until it is a smooth mixture. Pop into a piping bag and pipe onto your cupcakes, or simply spread it over them with a pallette knife and decorate as desired.

P.S. This is my 100th post! Wahey!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on 100th post! The cakes look lovely, sooo cute! I need to make some cupcakes like that (although I'd like to do them fairy cake sized, much more English than the suggested "muffin size" featured on The Times website!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, your baking posts always make my mouth water! I'll definitely be making these soon. Yum yum yum! I just need to remember to hunt down a piping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for the 100th post. I am drooling on my keyboard ;)
    Maybe you can make a cupcake pyramid for Scott birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nom! i had a chocolate orange cookie that really whetted my appetite for chocolate orange desserts. making these!

    and congrats on the 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cupcakes are the darlingest.

    And as I've completely given up on LJ and have moved to Blogger, I suppose now is the time to say, Hello, your blog is fantastic, all 100 posts of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks absolutely delicious!! and happy 100th post =)

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack, those look amazing. I've has such a sweet tooth lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! Do you happen to know what temperature "gas mark 4" is? 350 degrees? I really want to make these. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebee- Yes it is 350! I just checked here http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/oventemp.htm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmm... those look so delicious. I might have a go at baking some myself at the weekend.

    I've just started reading your blog, and I think it's lovely :D Especially the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on ur 100th post! They look so delicious. SImple yet elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wooah I am really hungry right now and those look DELICIOUS. Throw one to me? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails