Friday, 23 January 2009

Muffins

blueberry muffins

Hello, it has been over a week since I last posted! Gosh I hate exams. Luckily they are all over now so I have been enjoying relaxing, shopping and baking! I made some muffins yesterday using Rachel Allen's 30-day muffin recipe. Once you've made this batter you can keep it in the fridge for up to 30 days so you can have freshly baked muffins every morning - when and as you want them! You can also experiment with a varity of flavours. Yesterday I made blueberry ones (above) and honey and nut ones (below). These muffins aren't super sweet like some shop bought muffins - which makes them perfect for breakfast. They use a combination of white and wholemeal flour and have no butter in them, just oil, making them a healthier choice than a cupcake.

honey and nut muffins

Ingredients

3 eggs
125g soft dark brown sugar
100g caster sugar
500ml milk
125ml sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
160g wholemeal plain flour
25g bran (I had no idea what this was, but it can be found in the cereal aisle with the oats, etc. It's like an unprocessed wheat)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4. Place the muffin cases in a muffin tin.

2. Whisk the eggs and sugars together in a big bowl. Add the oil, milk and vanilla and mix well.

3. Sift the plain flour, salt, bicarb into another bowl and then add the wholemeal flour and bran. Combine these with your wet ingredients. This is your basic batter to which you can add whatever you like!

3a. For the blueberry muffins I added 75g blueberries (fresh or frozen - not dried) to 400ml of the batter.

3b. For the honey and nut muffins I squirted in 2 tbsp runny honey and a good handful of mixed chopped nuts to 400ml of batter, then sprinkled some nuts on top.

4. Fill the muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes. Enjoy for breakfast!


I am also going to try these with apple and cinnamon with the remaining batter. From each batch of 400ml I got about 7 large muffins, then over 500ml of batter remaning which I should maybe get about 10 muffins out of? I'm going to try them later.


4 comments:

  1. Wow - you have such an interesting blog! All the best things in life - good food, fashion, and cute boys!

    Cheers!
    Indy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good. It would be nice to have fresh muffins everyday--maybe I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh those muffins look delicious! I think I'll try! haha
    I'm also taking hundreds of exams good luck!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you honey :)
    thanks for the link too, i'll link you back :D

    they look delicious!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails