Thursday, 29 January 2009

Scott's birthday cake

scott's birthday cake

It was Scott's birthday on Monday so I spent most of Sunday making him this amazing 4 layer orange chocolate cake. I used a Chockylit chocolate cupcake recipe as the base for the cake, because it is my favourite ever chocolate cupcake recipe. It's so moist. It also turns into a pretty good 'normal' sized cake too! I just added some orange juice and zest to it. Then I used a Rachel Allen icing recipe but triples the quantities! Yes, I needed a LOT of icing. Yum yum yum. Anything less than 3 layers just seems pathetic now...haha.

Ingredients

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
Juice & zest of 1 orange

Method

Mix together all the ingredients, except for the eggs. Beat on high for about 2 minutes.

Slowly beat in the eggs. Then beat again on high for about 2 minutes. Pour into lined and greased cake tins and bake for about 20-30 minutes on gas mark 4/350f. They are done once they feel spongy yet still slightly sticky ontop and a skewer comes out of them clean.

Leave to cool in the tins, then remove the cakes onto a wire rack and cool thoroughly before icing.

scott's birthday cake (cross section)

For the icing-

225g butter
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp cocoa powder
525g icing sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange

Beat the butter until it is very soft, then slowly begin to add the icing sugar & cocoa powder. Add the milk, zest and juice and combine until you get a glossy buttercream icing.

scott's birthday cake

To assemble the cake, I find it easiest to put a blob of icing on the plate or cake stand that you're using, then place the first layer ontop of this. This stops it from moving about as you're icing! Then spread the icing very liberally across the first layer, making sure it is covered right to the edges.Then place the second layer ontop, and comtinue layering like this. Then ice the edges last. I use a spatula first, then a pallette knife to go around the edges with and smooth it all.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my god!!!

    That looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so yummy, i can't resist chocolate cakes, they're just too good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That. is. AMAZING. i have written down this recipe and shall try it nex week! (this week it mufdfins for me!)

    You are a very talented cake maker..homemade..not too perfect cakes..just the way they should be!

    Looby xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh that looks so nice!
    nothing chocolatey can ever be bad

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness!! i am envious of you =) i wish i can bake.

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummieeee!! I'm going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks gorgeous! im not a fan of chocolate orange but I definitely need to make a cake that large sometime soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, thats gorgeous!
    you're such a good cook - mine tend to be disasters!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog... that cake is super cute and looks so yummy!
    x Trina

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dots are so cute! I love the last picture. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm honestly drooling on the keyboard right now.

    Wow, that looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmmmm.... That is some kind of love! I've been trying to think of something nice for my mom's birthday next month and I think this is it, thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy yummy I'm getting hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cute. I don't want to eat it, I just want to sit and look at it.




    No I lied, I want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooooh myyy god! give me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh eM Ge that cake is AMAZING !!! How did you do the orange spots?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails