Sunday, 22 February 2009

Bettroot cookies!

beetroot cookies

What are these weird, bright pink cookies I hear you cry? Beetroot cookies! Yuck, some of you may think, but think again! I have used beetroot a few times in baking and I love the results everytime. Remember my beetroot brownies? I made these cookies to use up some extra beetrot from baking a beetroot cake for my Mum's birthday (I will blog that later! It is so special it deserves it's own post!). I was thinking of how to use up these 3 beets I had left over. I could've made soup, roasted them, pickled them, but no, I had to bake something of course!

The cake I made uses beetroot in a similar way to carrot, just as my pumpkin cake also does. Then I thought, beetroot/pumpkin/carrot, they're all quite interchangeable root vegetables! So I decided to adapt a pumpkin cookie recipe to make a beetroot cookie recipe!

Recipe

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup beetroot puree
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of hazelnuts
  • 1 cup dried sultanas

1. Preheat the oven to 350f, gas mark 4.

2. Beat the sugars and butter together until light and fluffy.

3. Add the egg, vanilla extract and beetroot puree.

beetroot cookies

3. In a seperate bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, spices and chopped nuts. Add to the rest of the ingredients, folding together slowly.

4. Fold in the sultanas, then drop onto a lined baking tray with a spoon, and bake for approx. 10-15 minutes.

beetroot cookies

My friend saw this photo and said it looked like raw, bloody beef burgers! Tastes so much better when cooked though :)

beetroot cookies

18 comments:

  1. Those are very strange-looking. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! I'm trying to erase the "raw bloody beef burgers" image from my mind though. They kind of remind me of macaroons for some reason.
    I love the photography of it all as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, pink cookies! they look gorgeous :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello! found your blog <3
    that cookies are strange but amazing i would like to taste them :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Looks yummy! Is it chewy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. Looks yummy! Is it chewy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of beetroot but the colour of those cookies really makes me want to scoff them all. Also, I was reading your other posts and I Loved Loved Loved Benjamin Button too, it was such a good film! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very intrigued. I definitely want to try one!
    P.S. I think it's very neat that you are intentional about color like that. Reminds me of this article (which is really old and I posted on about a year ago) http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/44210/
    Only, I don't think you're obsessive like these people! But I find them rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They really look like raw meat, but I'm sure they taste delicious :) I noted down all the places to visit in England you told me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the color & I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. I've never heard of beetroot cookies, so I must try it. Plus, I LOVE beets =D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are bright! Slightly scary, but they look delicious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum yum!! those cookies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - those look amazing. I want to check them out. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, I thought it was raw hamburger.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails