Monday, 9 February 2009

Magnolia vanilla cupcakes

vanilla cupcakes

Today I decided to make some cupcakes for Scott to take into Uni to share in the tea room. I have so many recipe books with so many cupcake recipes, but some of them are too faffy and include ingredients that aren't exactlt store cupboard essentials, like sour cream or canola oil! However, I looked at my poor neglected Magnolia Bakery recipe book (usually I only like recipe books with lots of pretty photos which this one lacks...) and decided to try out their vanilla cupcake recipe. It seemed simple enough and I had everything on hand. They are so delicious too! I think they will be my staple vanilla cupcake recipe now. I used to use the standard victoria sponge recipe for them, but this one is more moist I think.

vanilla cupcakes

Ingredients for cupcakes


1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350f/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners

2. Cream the butter until smooth with an electric whisk. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 mins.

3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. Combine the flours and add in 4 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Beat well after each addition.

5. Spoon batter into cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove once the tops are just turning golden. Leave to cool completely before frosting.

For the icing

1 cup butter, softened
5 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pink or red food colouring.

Cream the butter with an electric whisk then add the icing sugar a cup at a time and the remaining ingredients. Add more icing sugar if you want (the magnolia recipe said between 4-8 cups, but mine was at the consistency I wanted after 5 cups)

Pipe onto cupcakes, sprinkle with hundred and thousands and enjoy!

vanilla cupcake

12 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy!

    I pre-ordered the Hummingbird book and now I'm literally counting down the days until it arrives.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look amazing!! gosh.. you're really good at this =)

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the prettiest cupcakes I've ever seen. I love the pink frosting with the blue paper.

    Yeah, people do pass when I'm taking outfit pictures. It used to be really awkward, but now I'm just used to it. I try to avoid taking pictures in places where people I know are likely to be, though. You should try more pictures--it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, these look lovely!! I'm going to make fairy cakes (red velvet ones!), but I don't have a piping bag... do you reckon a plastc food bag would work if I cut off the corner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummm, i'm going to try these tonight! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really yummy. I've never tried making cupcakes before and I'd love to, but it seems hard to bake them as good-looking as you do...

    xxx
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, they look like they're out of a cooking magazine, so cute & picture perfect! i'm attemping to make some cupcakes this Sat & will def follow your receipe! thanks for sharing, x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I read your food entries it makes me want cake so much! I need to buckle down and just make some. :D These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MWAM, CUPCAKES FOR LIVE haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am making these right now. I liked how well spaced out the recipe is, nice and easy to read! I hope they turn out as pretty as yours did :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, this is a belated comment! But I am kind of excited because I made the exact same cupcakes last weekend!! They were delicious, but I had to settle for white frosting because I ran out of food dye. Yours look super!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so much better at piping than I am. I always end up with a mess... Maybe I need better piping bags?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails