Friday, 27 February 2009

Malteser Cake

malteser cake

malteser cake


This is another one of my favourite ever cakes. Who doesn't love Maltesers? (Or whoppers as I believe they are called in America).I honestly don't think I have ever encountered someone who wouldn't glady eat a packet of maltesers, with their deliciousy cruncy, then chewy honeycomb and milk chocolate. Yum. Nigella Lawson, the genius that she is, decided to put it into cake form! Cake and maltesers = win. I have made this cake quite a few times and it always goes down well. I never actually got to sample this cake because I was making it for Scott's sister's boyfriend's birthday. It's his birthday today so I hope it goes down well!

The version that Nigella makes simply has icing in the middle and ontop, but that doesn't look like a birthday cake to me. Birthday cakes need to be fully iced and look amazing when cut into! Obviously I haven't got a photo of the cross section, but I can assure you it will look amazing and striking. The cake is a dark, dark chocolate colour, then the icing is a delicate pale brown, making it look impressive when sliced. Nigella just decorates it with a few maltesers ontop, but I decided to crunch some up and decorate the sides with them (also, it helped to cover up some of my messy icing skills!). I thought this would give it a pretty amazing texture, the fluffy cake, smooth icing, then crunch maltesers. Wow. I wish I could have a piece right now!

Recipe

For the cake
150g soft brown sugar (muscavado sugar is best for flavour)
100g caster sugar
3 large eggs
175ml milk
15g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons Horlicks powder (or ovaltine)
175g plain flour
25g cocoa, sieved
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

For the icing and decoration
250g icing sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa
45g Horlicks
125g soft unsalted butter
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 x 37g packets Maltesers

Take whatever you need out of the fridge so that all the ingredients can come to room temperature (though it’s not so crucial here, since you’re heating the milk and butter and whisking the eggs.

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170C. Butter and line two 20cm loose-bottomed sandwich cake tins with baking parchment.

Whisk together the sugars and eggs until light and frothy. Heat the milk, butter and Horlicks powder in a small saucepan until the butter has melted and the mixture is hot but not boiling. Beat the milk mixture into the eggs a little at a time. Fold in the dry ingredients thoroughly. Divide the cake batter evenly between the two tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, by which time the cakes should have risen and will spring back when pressed gently. Let them cool on a rack for about 5-10 minutes and then turn them out of their tins.

Once the cakes are cold, you can get on with the icing. I use a processor just because it makes life easier: you don’t need to sieve the icing sugar. So: put the icing sugar, cocoa and Horlicks in the processor and blitz to remove all lumps. Add the butter and process again. Stop, scrape down, and start again, pouring the boiling water down the funnel with the motor running until you have a smooth buttercream.

Sandwich the cold sponges with half of the buttercream, and then ice the top with what is left, creating a swirly pattern rather than a smooth surface. Stud the outside edge, about 1cm in, with a ring of Maltesers or use them to decorate the top in which-ever way pleases you.

Makes 8-10 slices.

malteser cake and pepe

Pepe also wishes he could have some!

25 comments:

  1. Wow this looks great! :) I think this is this first time I've posted a comment here, so hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dog! My dog likes watching me when I ice cakes, she thinks she's going to get lucky.

    Does this cake taste really malty or is it not that strong? I dislike horlicks but I might have to try this cake for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Am adding this to my "to bake" file!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i love maltesers! (and whoppers :)
    actually any kind of malt/chocolate combo is okay in my books.
    i am so going to try that recipe soon.
    yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shoes are from Peacocks, only £6 and SO comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already posted on flickr, but thanks for posting the recipe! I shall be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I LOVE maltesers. This looks absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you very much for your lovely, helpful comment, honey!!
    i'm feeling much better now, so thank youu :)
    and good luck with university, I hope everything goes really amazing for you!

    wow, that cake looks amazing, you are such a good photographer too!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Whoppers. They're not something I ever crave, but as soon as I have one, I finish off the box!

    I intended to spend the entire weekend setting up a garden, but I think I may need to fit in some baking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow it looks so greaattt, I think I'll try this one to!
    Thanksss
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yummy! I could eat any chocolate candy but this is very good! pepe looks like he is waiting for his part hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious. I love the texture of it. Hmm, I think I like the name Malteser better than whopper. Maybe I'll confuse everyone I know by calling them that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am bookmarking this! I get brownie points for making my boyfriend cakes, especially ones that are as awesome as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You cannot believe how much I want to start cooking now, this cake looks SO delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh mine, how happy am i to see this post! i absolutely love Maltesers, the cake must be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I must be an exception, but I really hate whoppers, they always seemed wierd and tangy.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did it! :D
    picture here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Heleentjh/DSCN5912.jpg (I hope you can see it)

    I had to do some adjustments because we don't have 'Horlicks' in Belgium and my cake wasn't as big as yours so the icing kept dripping off (such a mess) but I think it turned out quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey there! awesome recipe. i made one myself for my sister's birthday and it turned out very well! the taste is unique and exquisite too! but i did quadruple the measurements and the cake was huge! it fits my big, big family though ;P visit my blog for the picture =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh and i did the magnolia vanilla cpcakes and chocolate orange cupcakes. they were divine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. since I saw this post I wanted to cook this pie. Finally I did it yesterday I bring it today to the office and it has been great! :D thanks for the receipe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Currently baking the cake base in the oven. Smells great. Cheers for the recipe :)

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whenever I have Maltesers in the house I always eat too much. They're just too good. I have to make this some time!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails