Friday, 20 February 2009

Nigella's chocolate guinness cake

chocolate guinness cake

I made this cake yesterday for my future brother-in-law's birthday. I have made it before yet this time I encountered a few problems...all self inflicted. Firstly, because one time I made it, the cake was huge and sagged in the middle and didn't look too pretty, I decided to not put as much batter in the cake tin to make a smaller, unsagged one. However, when it came out the oven, it was, er, tiny. Too small! I thought, I can't use this for a birthday cake! I'd used the rest of the batter up on cupcakes too so the only other option was to bake another layer. So I did, but halved the recipe.

So far, so good... Then I start to make the icing. I'd only got low fat cream cheese - bad idea Helen! It was so runny and watery because the cream cheese was watery. Terrible. It wouldn't thicken up no matter how much icing sugar I put in or how long I beat it for. So I gave up on that...

Then, we're in a rush to get it to my Sister's. The second layer of the cake isn't quite cooled enough, but I'm in a rush and my Mum is on my back too to get it done! So I move it ontop of the first layer after icing it...and it cracks. In half. Well, not perfectly in half, more like in a 1/3, but it was huge. I tried to keep it together. My Mum suggested I put more icing on it...but that makes it worse! Next thing I know it looks like the grand canyon with pure white icing seeping down it.

It wasn't as big a disaster as it sounds though! Honest! As you can see from the photos, it looked half decent and managed to stay in one piece, kind of. None of it fell off or anything anyway. Of course, the most important thing is the taste, and the word on the street is that it was delicious and went down very well.

chocolate guinness cupcakes

The recipe is available here and even if you don't like Guinness, you should try this cake. It's a deliciusly moist, tangy deep chocolate cake. Hmmm.

19 comments:

  1. I really want to bake this one day. I'm not a huge guiness fan, but I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've baked this cake so many times and it's always been a success, such a great recipe. Although I have had the too runny icing before. It makes really good big muffins too. I use plan natural yoghurt instead of the sour cream and I've started experimenting with different bitters, recently I used Theakstons Old Peculiar and it was sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it/they look truly delicious!

    I've been meaning to try that recipe out for ages, How to be a Domestic Goddess is my bible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm! looks interesting! i think the guinness bit puts me off a little. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm!!!
    Mouth-watering goodness.
    I LOVE baking and these look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm drooling all over my keyboard, the cake looks perfect to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds amazing too me--despite some of the minor technical issues. I simply adore cream cheese frosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMM omgosh I'm going to bake this the minute spring break begins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that cake looks absolutely delicious! I'm not sure about the guiness either though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Augh, that looks SO GOOD! At least it was really delicious. And the cakes look very nice, despite all the mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. u take amaaazing delicious pictures! haha
    i can't wait til i get a lil bit of free time so i could bake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an ordeal! It all looks so pretty and delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your posts when it comes to food!!

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fine. And since most of Nigella's recipes are so vague you shouldn't blame yourself for any problems.

    I think you had some great learning from this. Next time, I'd try increasing the total recipe by about 1/3 and then bake 2 layers to start with.

    Also, consider using another favorite cream cheese frosting. I'm not sure where you're located, but I often find that English recipes using dairy products won't work in the US because the yogurt, cream, sour cream, fresh cheeses, etc are all so different.

    And good for you for baking this lovely cake for your future brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this cake is making my mouth water! it looks absolutely delicious. i need to take down the recipe and bake it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made these a couple of weeks ago into cupcake versions. They were absolutely delicious and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chocolate cake with Guinness...mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blog and will definitely attempt to try your recipes out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails