Monday, 16 March 2009

brownies & rocky road

I have been trying out more recipes from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook!

brownies

Last weekend me and Scott made the brownies. I have been trying to find the perfect brownies recipe. Jamie Oliver's just didn't cut it for me. These though, these are perfect. Maybe they could have been baked for a few more minutes just to firm them up, but it's all personal preference. Gooey or cakey brownies? I take gooey any day! These definitely fulfil all of my gooey chocolatey desires.

Ingredients

200g dark chocolate, chopped
175g butter
325g caster sugar
130g plain flour
3 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 170c, Gas Mark 3. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occassionally until thoroughly melted.

2. Remove from the heat. Pour into a larger bowl with the sugar in, and beat together. Add the sifted flour in and stir together. Finally, beat in the eggs until thick and smooth.

3. Pour into a greased and lined baking tray (mine was about 25cmx12cm, but it recommends a 33cmx23cm tray. Mine took longer to cook but were thicker) Bake for about 30-40 minutes (this depends on the size of the tray you're using like I said, just play it by ear). They should be flaky ontop but still soft in the centre. Leave to cool totally before attempting to turn them out, otherwise they will crack and fall apart! Cute into small pieces when cool and enjoy with some good quality vanilla ice cream ontop.

my rocky road

I didn't exactly follow the rocky road recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery, but it did inspire me to try out my own. Their version needed 1.4kg of chocolate, but I only used 500g which made plenty! I also put mars bars, maltesers, rich tea biscuits, dried sour cherries and marshmallows in it. I simply melted the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, then stirred in 2 chopped mars bars, 1 bag of maltesers crunched up, a handful of sour cherries, about 5 biscuits crunched up, and a handful or 2 of marshmallows. Then I poured it into a baking tin lined with cling film, sprinkled with some sugar strands and left to set. They were so delicious, I couldn't get enough of them! The multi coloured sprinkles made them extra pretty too. :)

31 comments:

  1. Oh man, those brownies look DELICIOUS! This reminds me that I'm really hungry and breakfast has yet to enter my system at 10:00 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good, I'm saving the recipe now since I've given up chocolate for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite brownie recipe without a doubt is Nigel Slater's very good brownie recipe. So rich and delicious. I am the queen of brownies out of my the people I know thanks to that recipe, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah so yummy! I'm definitely with you on the gooey brownie front. I can't stand the crappy ones you buy in shops that are just hard and really more like biscuits! Rubbish. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I'm hungry now! Your blog is so cute.

    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOD, I need to send you the ULTIMATE brownie recipe!! Will email it when I have a spare moment, but it is AMAZING (particularly if you like gooey brownie :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm adding these to my list-of-chocolatey-things-to-bake-and-eat-once-Lent-is-over. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to order that cookbook! Though my brownies will not turn out anywhere as lovely as yours, making (and eating!) them will still be fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those brownies look amazing! My favourite brownie recipe is Delia Smith's; it's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious! There's so many recipes I want to try out once I have access to a decent oven, I think I may have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. DEFINITELY gooey brownies. :D These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I lovelovelove baking brownies. And eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMM yum. you and your header both look SOO delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aah i am always so jealous of your recipes. i wish i can eat them all!!

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so delicious! I'm definitely all for gooey brownies, though really I won't say no to any brownies. The rocky road looks really cool. I've never thought about doing it with anything other than marshmallows and peanuts, but the sprinkles are a genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so delicious! I love gooey brownies... so so very much. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! I'm not one for baking myself, purely because I don't trust the fan oven we've got, all my cooking's done on the hob, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmmm those look delicious.

    I've never made them from scratch before, always the ghirardelli chocolate mix :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay these sweets look like they are to die for! Also, you look amazing below :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yummmmmmmmmmmm those look good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog is lovely. I think I'll have to only read it on a full stomach though, your recipe is giving me some major chocolate jonesing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look absolutely delicious! I'd love to make some, but I know how bad I am when I have something yummy around the house - everything gets eaten too fast, which isn't good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH YUM - these look so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Argh, your blog makes me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. yum yum yum! i like fudgy brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am definitely in the gooey brownie club, and I can see from your picture that those brownies are nothing less than perfect! They look exactly how a brownie should look :P

    And your rocky road looks just gorgeous, I shall definitely give your variation a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. yummy yummy, looks like the baking is going swell.

    have a pleasant Saturday!

    jess s.//hippiefroufrou

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those brownies look extremely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. the hummingbird bakery book inspried me to cook lots more there brownies are delicious, rich and mosht

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails