Monday, 30 March 2009

It's that time of year

No no, not spring (which keeps on coming and going here!) but the time of year when I am swamped under with work for uni. Hence why I haven't updated in over a week. I am off for 3 weeks after this week though for Easter, but most of it will (or should...) be spent finishing off pieces of uni work. My last exam ever is scheduled for the 15th May, then I shall be free!

Since my last update, I have hada tea party in honour of my Grandad's 85th birthday. Of course, I was in charge of all the baking. We had savoury food too, but really we couldn't wait to bring out the cake trolley! I get my sweet tooth from my Mother's side of the family, the Spanish side. We do love our cakes.

scones and cake

shortbreads and brownies

mocha cake

mocha cake

His birthday cake was a lovely mocha cake. The icing was amazing. I love cakes with contrasting icing, it looks so striking when sliced. Because I am too lazy to type up the recipe, I decided to scan it in and you can all see it here. I made it in 2 20cm round cake tins though, because I think it is an unwritten rule that birthday cakes must be round!

I also made my favourite hummingbird bakery brownies, simple scones and shortbread biscuits. Most of the sweet stuff went very quickly, yet there were savoury foods left for a few days! Do you have a sweet tooth or a preference for savouries?

31 comments:

  1. wow! these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cake!

    I'm definitely more of a salty/crunchy kind of gal. I don't do candy so much, but desserts are always worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks delicious! & I'm definitely a sweet person. I would eat cakes and biscuits every day if I could!

    PS. You're spanish? That's cool (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm, everything looks delicious.

    I love your heart shaped shortbread. Its the one thing I can not, no matter how hard i try, bake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks so delicious, you made me hungry!
    good luck with your uni work, I am loaded too unfortunately!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. of course they should be round! I am going to be locked inside all of easter too...sucks to be us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! That looks so good. I'm definitely a sweets person. I wish we had had a spread like this for my grandpa's 85th birthday, but he's diabetic, so we just had a little sugarless cake and ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I hope school lays off you soon. At least the end is in sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh. i would love some of that mocha cake. yuuuum!!

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!!!! I am loving those cakes and brownies!!!!!!
    Hello there,
    I just came across your blog and very much enjoyed.
    Please come and visit mine too, It's a fashion blog inspired by POrtobello Road, London.
    I hope you enjoy it and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    I added you in my blogroll, i hope you don't mind!
    You're lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, so so many delicious things here, i feels slightly lightheaded! :)

    ps, currently updating my blogroll, would love to exchange links if you're interested? xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. those look so yummy! I wish my cake was as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a ridiculous sweet tooth, I'm a danger to all who befriend me!
    That cake looks gorgeous!

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! How cute! I want a tea party... And just so you know, I'm probably going to steal your cake recipe!

    XO,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm those cakes look delicious!!

    i will look into getting a flickr because this is so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum - looks like you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! The food looks delicious and the table setting is so nice too. I love tall cake stands like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, this all looks amazing. I have such a huge sweet tooth. It's weird because as a child I really didn't like sweet things. Now I can't keep away from candy and cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those all look sooooo amazing, especially the cake. I am seriously craving it now haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my goodness my mouth is watering

    ReplyDelete
  22. ohhh, now i want cake :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, i absolutely love the recipes on your blog!
    and am a massive fan of all cupcakes
    your outfits for uni are too cute :)
    what year are you in?
    xx zee

    ReplyDelete
  24. oeh yummy
    I have a sweet tooth! I love all kinds of cake I just wish I could bake as good as you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhh! I just found your blog and I am so in love. Can't wait to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You AMAZE me. Why does nothing I bake look so beautiful and scrumptious?
    And ah yes, the sun is finally out in my hometown, but just for the week. You're definitely not jealous of this sunburn though! I can't walk up stairs...ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i really like your pictures! i've been dying to become a food photographer. your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. could you scan the icing recipe as well??
    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails