Monday, 13 April 2009

Easter cupcakes!

easter nest cupcakes


Yet another hit from the Hummingbird Bakery cook book! Scott suggested contacting the owner and asking to open a franchise in Liverpool haha. All of the recipes have been hits though. If I could live with just one cookbook for the rest of my life, it would be this one. The icing is amazing too, even better than Magnolia's! When you whisk it all together is goes perfectly white and it is so so fluffy. There isn't much butter in it, so it is just mostly sugar, yet is so smooth and delicious. Easter wouldn't be easter anymore without cupcakes decorated with mini eggs!

Recipe

120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, room temperature
120ml milk (recipe says whole, but I used semi)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (recipe says 1/4, but I wanted more!)

1. Preheat oven to 170c/325f/gas 3.

2. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together with an electric whisk, until it achieves a sandy consistency.

3. Pour in half of the milk and beat until combined.

4. In a seperate bowl, whisk the egg, remaining milk and vanilla extract together, then add to the flour mixture until just incorporated (Do not overmix! Overmixing will give you a stodgy cake)

5. Spoon into cupcake cases 2/3 full and bake for 20/25 minutes, until just turning lightly golden ontop. Leave to cool completely before icing.

Icing

250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, room temp.
25ml milk
few drops of vanilla extract

Soften the butter, then slowly add the icing sugar, beating together with an electric whisk. Keep beating until it all comes together. Pour the vanilla and milk together in a seperate bowl, then add to the icing mixture, beating on high. Beat for at least 5 minutes, until mixture is pale, light and fluffy. The longer you mix, the fluffier it goes!

I then seperated the icing into 3 seperate bowls and mixed with a few drops of food colouring. I grated some white chocolate to sprinkle over the eggs to look nestlike and sat 2 mini eggs safely in the middle of the nests!

I hope you all had a lovely Easter!

37 comments:

  1. You should make a trifle! I know you can't bake a trifle but still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so delicious and cute (almost too cute to eat)! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww how beautiful. I have been meaning to make cupcakes sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love how you decorated them! I'm always on the lookout for the perfect frosting recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love all your baking pictures! So pretty. Although after eating so much chocolate over the weekend I really couldn't stomach a cupcake oops! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. those look awesome! great job! =D
    and happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have no idea how jealous I am of people who can bake. :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cupcakes look so delicious that i'm starting to get hungry! I'm tempted to whip some up myself, thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness those look SO DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm I love Hummingbird's recipes. Only problem I have is when I whisk the first lot together to achieve that "sand like" consistency it goes EVERYWHERE?!?! argh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. goodness me they look gorgeous!
    thanks for the recipe, I'll try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. im in love with those cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you always make the most amazing cupcakes!! seriously.

    ❤sb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I think I might buy that book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those mini eggs are sooo cute! And the cupcakes sound perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohh yummy!
    hope you had a lovely easter too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy they look so tasty.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog, just looked at your profile and you live near me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good lord! Those look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my god i need this cookbook. they look amazingly delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading your posts about baking make me absolutely swoon. Everything looks so delicious!

    Since you're studying English lit, who are your favorite fiction writers?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary - Some of my favourite writers are George Orwell, Jonathan Safran Foer, Salman Rushdie, George Eliot, Sylvia Plath, Hemingway, Haruki Murakami...the list goes on! I'm always reading new things though so this list changes quite a lot haha.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey! Thanks for dropping a comment. Sorry it took me forever to reply. I'm linking you to my blog by the way. =)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. how cute!! I bet they taste fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooooh, those look so delicious. I love cupcakes.

    http://anniediamond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those cupcakes looks so yummy ! I love the Hummingbird bakery didn't they had a cook book !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look so yummy! I haven't had a cupcake in months.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those sound (and look) delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have heard nothing but good things about that cookery book - and you make the end product look gorgeous. I am salivating now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I tried to bake these and only realised once they had gone in the oven that I forgot to add baking powder! They came out ok. I'm making the icing now but basically I am wearing more icing sugar than is actually in the bowl. Oh dear. Yours just looked so good I had to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ah I just made these and they're positively DELICIOUS. And they look so good, too! I kept my icing white, but added a strawberry on top. Hm they look so cute, I can barely manage to destroy them with my teeth.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails