Sunday, 17 May 2009

Always & Never

I have finished Uni now! I will probably never have to do another exam in my life. Now I am relaxing and job hunting. Unfortunately there aren't many jobs out there and the ones that I would like all require years of experience, so I may have to start searching for internships instead, and carry on working part time in the Cafe.

Anyway, I was tagged by Kater of All This Happiness to choose 5 style Always and Nevers. It was quite difficult but also made me realise how 'untrendy' I am really! Some of my 'nevers' may shock people, because they are so trendy, but they're just not for me.





1. Red Lipstick. I read in Glamour magazine this month, a quote from Audrey Tatou which said 'I like make up, but it's always discreet. Just a bit of lipstick and that's about all'. This sums up my approach to make up completely. You can forget about fancy eyeshadows and mascara, all I need is a bit of red lipstick and some blusher and I feel instantly made up and smart. Too much make up can make me feel over done and uncomfortable, but red lipstick makes me feel instantly sophisticated. My favourite is Chanel Rouge Allure in Audace, but my everyday one is just a cheap Collection 2000 one. 
2. Red ballet flats. I always have to have some red ballet flats. They go with pretty much everything in my wardrobe and are so comfortable for walking in. My most recent ones are these Jones The Bootmakers ones, I love the shape of them with a slightly pointed toe. They make a simple boring outfit of just black jeans and a t-shirt feel more feminine than say, Converse, but are just as comfortable.
3. Polka dots. I've always loved polka dots. I have 3 polka dot skirts and a few polka dot dresses. I think it's such a fun patten yet can still seem sophisticated. 
4. Bows. Not just hair bows, but any bows. For some reason I am drawn to them. I love dresses that have wrap around belts to tie in bows, bow necklaces, bow hairclips and bow brooches. They are playful yet feminine I think.
5. BIG BAGS! I love this Miu Miu bag but of course could never afford it...not yet anyway. But large bags are a must for lugging around all my essentials: umberella, camera, books, moleskine, few bits of make up, big purse, etc. Even when I go on nights out and people use itty bitty clutches, I can't.
Never
Never by afeitar featuring UGG Australia Boots
 
1. Ugg boots. I know a lot of people are very anti-ugg boot and it probably isn't a surprise to you that I am too. Okay, they're comfy. Okay, they're warm. I get it. But they are UGLY. My leather topshop boots are just as warm and comfy, plus they don't get soggy either. Bonus. 
2. Bodycon. Probably because of my muffin (or cupcake?) top. My tummy is my least favourite part of my body so the thought of me in bodycon dresses makes me feel very uncomfortable! I like it on other people (ie. stick insects with flat tummys), because it does look very sexy and classic, but on myself? I think I'll pass thanks. I'm all for showing off my curves but not my lumps and bumps too!
3.Gladiator sandals. Like bodycon, I can appreciate these on others but they just wouldn't go with anything in my wardrobe. I'd rather have a classic sandal shape or flip flops. 
4. Tacky logo t-shirts. No, I will not kiss you quick. I don't care to know that you can hear voices. They all make me cringe, especially ones that profess how sexy you are - when infact you're not, you're just arrogant. I probably have worn these, when I was about 13, but once you get past a certain age they're no longer funny.
5. Wet look leggings. Okay, maybe they look alright on the Olsens, but whenever I've seen people in real life wearing them, they all look terrible. I would never wear them - they bunch up at the knees and sag and just look very cheap. Plus, they must be very, very uncomfortable. And sweaty.

44 comments:

  1. I must be untrendy, too, because I don't care for bodycon (tummy flab!), gladiators, uggs, or wet look leggings either! And I do love bows of any kind, polka dots, and red lipstick, although the latter I don't wear on a daily basis as it feels a bit too made-up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your choice of always and your never choices i can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, stomach!??!

    Secondly I had the same fears about the bandage dress - but then a friend pointed out that I'm young and should take advanatge of my body while I've "got it" (hmmm...). The bandage dress holds in the figure, due to its thicker elasticated fabric!

    I do agree with the rest of your style nonos though! Congrats for finishing uni and not having any more exams in the near future - I'm jealous! One day, that'll be me (I thought it would be me last year but stooopid chose to do more courses!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire - I just dress to hide my tummy well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I totally agree with all of these and that miu miu bag is gorgeous! Apart from maybe gladiators, I wore mine nearly every day last summer!

    And congrats on finishing uni (: Do you have any idea what you want to be doing ? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably could have guessed what would go under "always" for you--you have such a distinct style! I think red flats are the best and I could always do with some more polka dots. That Miu Miu bag is cute, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like bows and polka dots.. But I also love body-con and wet look leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree with you more about the UGGS.

    Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahahahha =) i liked this post! i completely agree with your "nevers". so so true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh I agree with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving your choices, the Miu-Miu bag is gorgeous ! I agree with the "never" look, wet look leggings is the worst for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree about wet look leggings, they look awful on pretty much everyone except Mary Kate and Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im in exactly the same position: no more exams ever and no job either.
    I've recently fallen head over heels for red lipstick - it looks amazing.
    Uggs: I can not stand them. I'm not a huge fan of gladiator sandals, but my mum bought herself a pair recently and I've been staring at them constantly and they're slowly growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally agreeing on the tacky logo t-shirts, especially 10year-old girls with slogans like 'I'm still a virgin' - oh god. They better be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your blog! and i completely agree with your five hates, i think i am the only girl in my school to not own a pair of uggs! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats on finishing your exams :) i've got one more week of exams to go! LOVE that miu miu red bag, I love big bags too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would pick out the exact same things! So funny to read

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great picks for both categories! I have to say that I agree with you about the wet look leggings looking not-so-hot on people in real life. Also, I find that most people don't look as great in gladiator sandals as they think they do either. And Uggs are hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a pair of red ballet flats that I wear nearly every single day. They're getting a little worn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your choices:Dnow that you've finished Uni...hope you'll be around here more often:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on finishing uni! I agree with you on uggs and wet look leggings, and I always have to carry a big bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, I love these sets!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like all of your nevers :O hahaa xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on finishing uni!

    I very much agree with your "always and never". Yes to polkadots, lipstick and ballerinas! I've always refused to wear uggs, it doesn't matter to me how comfortable people say they are.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I wish I knew how to wear lipstick but it still looks all crazy on me! I just can't seem to do it right.

    Congrats on finishing uni!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmmm wet look leggings, yes, those are quite bad! I love seeing these lists, I started this tag and am blown away with how far it's gone, and still going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with all of these! Especially wet look leggings, they suit no one. I would also have included harem pants, now that's one trend I will never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hate most tee-shirts with messages.. yesterday I saw a guy with a shirt that said 'Wanna hook up?'.. uh, no, not really!! Total turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haha, Love your list of Nevers! Especially the logo t-shirts and wet look leggings. I couldn't agree more ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  30. Uggs are so ugly! I have no idea how people can go out of the house wearing them and feel good about themselves. I do like gladiator sandals but I don't own any - I'm sure everyone will get bored of them within a year.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You seem very 50's - which is a great way to be! I agree with wet look leggings, although I will say gladiator dandals have cured by yearly aflliction of terrible pain induced by flip flops. I agree with all your other nevers though!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i've given your blog an award :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. just wanted to say the same as Annie, actually! I gave you an award ^^ see my blog for more details x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations on finishing uni! That's fabulous. Good luck finding a job.

    I completely agree with your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have that Chanel lipstick too...great color, though I normally wear MAC.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I found you in a search and thought your blog looked quite interesting! Your style is amazing.

    For myself I agree with you on your No's with fashion. Who ever thought of shirts with writing on it or letters on the bum, Uggs, and gladiator sandals. They are very non-classic. No style whosoever!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i pretty much agree on everything !

    ReplyDelete
  38. I agree with Amelia-- you have such a signature style, that I probably could have chosen your "always" for you!
    Ooh & it's all about big big bags. Although I tend to fill them up with junk quite easily!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Added you to my blogroll (finally!) today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hahaha, I laughed at the tacky logo t-shirt never and your comment about not caring if people can hear voices. I really loathe these tees, too - I just don't like t-shirts that you have to stare at for more than a couple seconds to get the gist of (like 99% of Threadless tees! Even though most of them are just graphics, you have to look at them too long to figure out what the "message" is).

    ReplyDelete
  41. completely agree with every one of your nevers. i hate gladiators! My boyfriend always makes sword-fighting motions whenever he sees girls wearing them, he hates them with a passion. and slogan t shirts make me so sick, ugh.

    xx

    ps, i love red ballet flats!

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE all your always!!! So with your never #5!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I quite liked wet look leggings when they were around at xmas. They're not made of plastic, so they don't make your legs sweat. They're just normal material, but shiny.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails