Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Step by step cupcakes

On Sunday I had the urge to bake some cupcakes so I though it would be the perfect opportunity to make some using my orange cocoa from Paris.

orange cocoa powder

I had been trying to save it for a special occassion, but a little goes a long way. The aroma when I opened it was AMAZING! I really want to try making hot chocolate with it once the weather gets cooler. I used the classic hummingbird bakery recipe for their chocolate cupcakes, but simple replaced the cocoa powder with the orange cocoa powder.

ingredients ready

Here are all the ingredients you need. 100g plain flour, 20g cocoa powder, 140g caster sugar, 40g butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, a pinch of salt, 120ml milk, 1 egg and a few drops of vanilla extract. (oh and preheat the oven to gas mark 3!)

First you put all the dry ingredients and the butter into your mixer and mix well until it resembles sand.
adding the ingredients


dry ingredients and butter mixture


Then, whisk together the milk, egg and vanilla and add to the mix. Mix well until smooth (but be careful not to overmix!)

after adding the milk and eggs

Spoon into a muffin tin lined with 12 cupcake cases.

ready to go in the oven

Bake in the oven for about 22 minutes.

out of the oven!

Ta-da! Then make the icing. I used the magnolia bakery's recipe this time, which can be found here . I also mixed in a little red and a little yellow food colouring to make it a lovely orange colour. With the orange and brown cases, they looked kind of like halloween cupcakes!

piping the icing

finished cupcakes!

The cake was lovely, with just a subtle hint of orange with the chocolate. The icing slightly over powered the flavour of the cake though, so I think that next time I would make add a bit of orange zest or orange juice to the icing to complement the sponge cake.

36 comments:

  1. I love orange and chocolate together! These look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are such gorgeous cupcakes! Mmmm, I want some now! Might have to make some tonight or tomorrow! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. it look delishhh. anyway, how come you dont make a mess like i do in kitchen? youre a pro :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious! I'm in the mood for baking some cupcakes too, it's national cupcake week after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I bet these were lovely. Where abouts in Paris did you get that orange cocoa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I'm definitely going to try something like this! They look yummy, and very professional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange cocoa powder?! I'm so jealous that I can't find anything like that around me! I'd find so many uses for it!!! The cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those look scrumptious! i'm definitely getting some orange cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so impressed by how beautiful your cooking process is! mine is usually just really messy and all over the place and taking pictures of it wouldn't be nearly this pretty! :D
    but those look deeeelish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm they look incredible! Definitely going to give the change in mocha powder a go - I have some raspberry chocolate somewhere...!

    Amy xo
    http://www.desirable.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, now I want cupcakes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so good! I love how you piped the frosting. i've never tried orange cocoa, but I can imagine how amazing it must be.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  13. *_______* this is great! now I wanna cook some sweets at home, yaw!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, these look so good. I'm seriously wanting to make some cupcakes now. Maybe I'll do that tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where did you get that aamzing piping bag?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cupcakes are so cute! And they must taste great!~

    ReplyDelete
  17. anonymous - the piping bag is from lakeland, they're disposable ones. i also got the piping tips from there too, i really recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this sounds amazing, i have always adored orange and chocolate together :) i will sure try it out, even though i don't know where i could find that kind of cocoa powder. i'll see.

    you have a lovely blog here dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the photography here! So gorgeous! And tasty... they look delicious as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. -they look lovely,
    cute blog(:
    cx.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah love this post! Cupcakes are yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh, my.This looks so good.You should ddefintely have your little bakery.I would come to England only to visit it.It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yum!! looks so good! I love the way you photographed everything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww these look delicious, and completely food-adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. come the cold season, i think i will be seeing a lot more citrusy chocolate in my kitchen. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These looks absolutely delicious! I love chocolate and orange :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love this!!!
    you can make it.. perfect! adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, you should open a bakery someday because they truly look amazing! I also love the composure of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love the combination orange-chocolate, heaven to my palate, lovely cupcakes, very well done!

    excelent blog, will be back!

    cheers from london,

    pity

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome! You inspire me to bake even more! : )

    Eireann
    http://eireannsugarandspice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my god YUMMMMMMMM! They look so delicious x Sushi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails