Saturday, 3 October 2009

peanut butter cookies

peanut butter cookies

Who doesn't love peanut butter? Whenever I do encounter people who say that they don't like peanut butter, I always approach them with care, because only weirdos don't like peanut butter, right? Crunchy or smooth is a whole other debate, but peanut butter is universal in it's adoration I do believe. I like smooth peanut butter for eating straight from the jar, or to spread on toast. However, for in baking, crunchy is far superior. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, with little chunks of dark chocolate and crunches of peanut buttery goodness. Hmmm. It's a hummingbird bakery recipe that I've been wanting to try for a while now. It was pretty good, but next time I would try to halve the recipe as this made 24 HUGE cookies, which is too much for me to eat before they go stale, no matter how hard I try! I actually froze half of them so I can have cookies whenever I want now, as they take seconds to defrost in the microwave.

Ingredients

225g unsalted butter (I actually used salted because I like the saltiness with peanut butter and chocolate)
200g caster sugar
200g light soft brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
240g cruncy peanut butter
340g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons bicarb.
1/2 teaspoon salt
75g dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 170c/325f/gas 3. Grease and line a few baking trays with greaseproof paper.

2. Mix the butter and 2 types of sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure all the ingredients are well incorporated. Turn the mixer down to low, and add the peanut butter and vanilla extract.

3. Then add the dry ingredients, flour, bicarb and salt, and mix until the dough is smooth. Stir in the chocolate until it's evenly mixed.

4. Arrange on a baking tray in small balls (about 5-7cm big), with big spaces between them, as these cookies spread out to be HUGE! Bake for 10 minutes, or just until they start to turn golden at the edges and cracked in the middle. If they feel soft in the middle, still take them out, as they continue cooking after being taken out of the oven and this makes them perfect and chewy after they've cooled.

5. Enjoy with a glass of milk!



peanut butter cookies

29 comments:

  1. I am going to make some of these - you have inspired me! :)

    Lol - I agree.. everyone should love peanut butter! esp crunchy. Yum!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to try these! The last time I attempted peanut butter cookies they went horribley wrong, hopefully this time will work out better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious! :)

    http://iloveilovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this.. very wholesome! indeed peanut butter lovers unite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking reminds me of the holidays! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my cousins don't like peanut butter-----so weird.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, now i feel like cookies and baking! Haha baad infuluence =P


    Goodle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've never had them with chocolate chunks before. I need these right now! Peanut butter is probably my favorite food in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I agree! They are just so delicious, have one bite and it just melts and softens in your mouth. mmm, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY! I love peanut butter and these cookies look amazing!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE PB, I'm so making some of these

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look so delicious, oh my! :) thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so yummy:)oh,and i so like the new header:)nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum yum yum, i'm definitely trying these xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. those look so good! You're right, only weirdos hate peanut butter.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness those look sooo delicious!

    www.britishindiedarling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. these look SO good - will definitely try these one day!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are making me so so hungry! I'm trying to be good and eat less biscuits, but do you know what, life is too short for that nonsense! Pass the peanut butter cookies! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww I love peanut butter! I've got to try that recipe out, sounds delicious:) Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, I loooooove peanut butter. I can eat it straight out of the jar! A few days ago I made a cake and was proud of myself. :P Maybe I'll make these too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM! I have to try to make these one day soon.. thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Helen
    I bought the book and got all the ingredients and promptly left the recipe at work. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails