Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Recent baking

This is a quick roundup of the goings on in my kitchen lately.

47/365

Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Pancake Day....whatever you call it. Generally we call it Pancake Day here, which kind of makes everyone forget the true meaning but hey, any excuse for pancakes is okay with me. We decided to make some American style pancakes, using this really simple Martha Stewart recipe. They were so good! I studded a few with blueberries while they were in the pan. Then we realised we had no maple syrup, so we drizzled it with a bit of golden syrup to give it a British twist. I don't think I'm giving up anything for Lent, I was never really brought up doing it plus I have no self-restraint! Are you giving up anything for Lent?

44/365

Whoopie pie!

For Valentines Day I made whoopie pies! I had tried whoopie pies ones, pumpkin ones, but I expected them to be like cookies for some reason so was disappointed when they were all cakey. However, I recently saw whoopie pies in Brew Tea Bar and also in my Olive magazine, claiming to be the new cupcakes. Then, when I saw this recipe on Annie's Eats, I knew I HAD to try them. Rather annoyingly, my local supermarket has decided to stop stocking buttermilk! I must have been about the only person who bought it anyway. In a rash decision, I decided to substitute the buttermilk for soured cream. It actually worked out pretty well, although maybe they were stodgier than if I had used buttermilk. It was also SO HARD to pipe the pies into heart shapes! I think they slightly resemble hearts right? And they're red so they're perfect for valentines day.

For World Nutella Day, I gave up on my Uni work, which wasn't going too well in the library, to go home and bake nutella cupcakes. I've made these before, but this time I think my presentation is better. I think that style of icing piped on is becoming my signature.

Nutella cupcakes

If you follow me on twitter, you will have seen how annoyed I was about not getting to try any of these! Nutella is one of my favourite things on earth, I could happily eat it from the jar. I love how they try to sell it as a 'healthy' breakfast though - it really isn't! It is delicious though hmmmm. I have previously posted the recipe for these amazing cupcakes here, if you want to try them. (Did I mention they are STUFFED with a big dollop of nutella? Nom)

37/365

I also made these cupcakes for a prospective customer for wedding cupcakes. They wanted a sample and they were so pleased with them. I have also had enquiries about wedding cupcakes for a wedding in July and I am so excited and flattered that people actually think my cupcakes are good enough to be their wedding cake! How cute are the sugar flowers too? I get all of mine from this website, Cake Craft Shop. Their cupcakes boxes are also really good and sturdy. I could spend a fortune on that site!

31/365

Brownies, nom nom nom. I made these using a recipe from the fabulous Smitten Kitchen. It uses only cocoa powder and no melted chocolate at all! I was a bit dubious about this but still eager to try it. Plus it gave me another excuse to use my delicious chocolate orange cocoa powder from Paris.

Did I mention I've also been trying to eat healthily lately too? Haha! I treat myself at the weekends but during the week I have no snacks inbetween meals at all. I palm off all my baked goods onto unsuspecting victims like Scott or my brother-in-law. What have you all been cooking lately? Anything nice for Valentines Day, pancake day or just for a naughty treat?

45 comments:

  1. love it,it all looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi helen!

    loving your recent baking goodies!

    i frequent that very SAME cake supply shop regularly! i live about 10 mins drive from their shop in bromley.

    its a teeny tiny shop but its full of such wonderful baking treasures! and i DO spend a fortune there! i asked if they do loyalty points... they dont!

    sams

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my oh my :D looks soooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. What would I give for you to come and make me some of those gorgeous looking pancakes! Yum!

    Lucie
    tasteslikevogue.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh they all look amazing! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baking photos always make me so hungry! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oo the whoopie pies look delicious and adorable! if you cannot find buttermilk again here's a way to cheat: pour a cup of milk and add a few drops of white vinegar, it will turn it into something similar to buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum...everything looks so good! And that is so great that people want you to bake for their wedding, what a compliment. I haven't been baking recently but for my mom's birthday which is coming up, I think I'm going to make brownies with some coffee in them to use for brownie sundaes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have whoopie pies on my to bake list, though I'm not sure if they'll be a hit or not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely not going to be able to look at your blog during lent! All of the goodies make me want to break all of my lenten promises... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. all of those look wonderful! i love nutella and will have to try those cupckaes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it all looks so good. (I can't really believe that ANYTHING martha stewert does is "simple" though") I love the fact that you are up on things like "World Nutella Day" (one of the best substances on earth). And your presentation is gorgeous, the whoopie pies are adorable and the piped icing looks really professional.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww yay whoopie pies!

    it is really amusing that adverts try and pass off nutella as a healthy breakfast food. though it's never been much of a thing in the states, recently i've noticed these commercials on tv for it and i was laughing that they were saying how incredibly healthy and nutritious it is, aside from being "fun" for the kids to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh gosh these all look so professional! amazing about the wedding orders, congrats.

    I must make whoopie pies soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely give the professional baker thing a go - you're utterly talented! I love the Nutella cupcakes, the whoopie pies... actually, everything!

    We had pancakes on Sunday rather than Tuesday and dropped a bit of red food dye into them so they came out all pink and pretty. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looks delicious, as usual!
    If you don't have buttermilk, you can also add one tablespoon of lemon juice to one cup of milk, let stand for five minutes. I've used many times before and it works. You can also get away with plain yogurt in many recipes. You were smart to think of sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a master in the kitchen! I would love to try those cupcakes myself! Can you believe that I have never before tasted Nutella. What's it like? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just writing my pancake day post at the moment and yours are so much prettier and more polished looking than mine! They look amazing as do all your cakes!

    That cracks me up about nutella too. What really makes me laugh is that they originally ran the ads with the message 'We all want our kids to have something healthy for breakfast like toast...' and then they brought them back and now they just say 'something for breakfast, like toast...' - the word healthy has somehow disappeared! I think people complained... I mean it's chocolate on toast, you don't eat it for health food!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe how much you've baked and I'm so gutted I missed out on World Nutella day!!
    Everything looks so lovely - you're really talented! Do you have a website where you advertise all your cakees for weddings etc?
    Will add you to my twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm! Everything looks so yummy, as always.

    You've got to post an icing tutorial! I'm always too impatient to make mine as pretty as that, I just whip it on with a palette knife.

    Thats such brilliant news about your cupcake orders too!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want those little cookie cake things. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my. EVERYTHING looks delicious. especially the nutella cupcakes. you are a genius. i loveLOVE nutella, but like you said it is horrible for you.

    thank you for the recipes, i will be adding them to the recipe box!

    i do wonder how you've been able to create a mini business out of your baked goods? i love to bake as well, but like you I never want to keep the stuff in the house so i just give it away. my friends yell at me all the time and say i should sell it, but i would hate to sell it to my friends. so i guess my question is: how did you manage to sell your goods?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those whoopie pie look fab, might have to give them a go, too.

    I brought the hummingbird nutella cupcakes to work today, they have gone down a STORM.

    ReplyDelete
  24. mmm...too much goodness in one post :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, everything looks so delicious! :D And your cupcakes always come out so nicely! Mine always look like a big blobby mess, so I admire your frosting skills! :)

    http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't believe I missed world nutella day! Nutella is basically my favorite food ever. I love the cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please post a blog soon teaching us all how to do your icing?!

    x <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooo I just discovered your blog and its really amazing.

    Those heart shaped mini cake things look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks AMAZING
    love the blog!!
    stop by some time xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whoopie pies are my very favorite! I brought them to a party one time and people were scared of them - I think it was the layers of cream that scared them away. You are a very talented cook. All of it looks great! Have a nice weekend dear :)

    inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. they all look so delish! i'm putting the nutella cupcake on my 'must experiment' list. i love nutella :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness! This all looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! These all look scrumptious! I love the heart pies!

    Happy vday, Helen! Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. yumm Helen! those cakes for valentine's day look adorable and delicious! I wish I could be so handy for cooking as you are!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  35. It all look so delicious, get hungry because of this post.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my god those all look fabulous! I have a baking query for you: in one of my seminar classes we've decided to make cakes the week following our presentation, mine was last week, so I have to bake for this Thursday. Only problem is one girl is a Coeliac, and I don't know any good gluten free recipes. Do you have any ideas of what might be good? (and fairly easy!) Would really appreciate your advice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my god. It looks like you're a kitchen goddess! These photos are beautiful.

    I made pink cupcakes today because my sister had a baby girl yesterday :) Proud cakes!

    iliketweet.blogspot

    x

    ReplyDelete
  38. gosh, did you make all of these? they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. oh my gosh! everything looks so delicious. your whoopie pies are charming, i've never had one before but these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow this is just awesome!I found your blog from tastespotting and this post has really left me craving for something sweet.If you won't mind, I'd really love to guide foodista readers to your site. Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and you're all set. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yum! Your cupcakes always look delicious. You really have a talent for it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails