Sunday, 7 March 2010

Chocolate cupcakes

I just wanted to share with you the recipe for the Hummingbird Bakery's chocolate cupcakes. I have made these so many times and they never fail. The cake is so soft and moist, and the icing is perfect.

64/365

I made these on Saturday, for Scott to take to his friends. Hence the blue cupcake wrappers and non-girly sprinkles haha. I love that shade of blue though, I think it looks very pleasing next to the deep brown. These cases are my favourite ever, they are from Squires Kitchen. They may be more pricer than regular cases, but they are so much thicker and the colour does not just disappear once the cakes have been baked. They've just started doing mini cupcake cases, something that I am also just venturing into, so I MUST buy some.

chocolate cupcakes

chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles

I have made this recipe numerous times and it never fails. The results are always consistent (the icing may look like different shades, but this is because of using different cocoa or the lighting, the taste is always consistent and beautifully chocolatey)


Cakes
Ingredients


100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter
120ml milk
1 egg
few drops of vanilla extract


Method


1. Preheat the oven to 170c, gas mark 3. 


2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt & butter in a bowl and beat together on a slow speed (either using a handheld electric whisk or a stand mixer) until everything is mixed evenly and it has a sandy texture. 


3. Whisk the egg, milk & vanilla together then pour half into the dry mixture and mix together on a slow speed. Then add the remaining mixture and beat on a medium/high speed until the mixture is smooth. Scrape down any remaining dry mixture from the sides, then beat together one final time. Be careful not to overbeat the mixture, as this will make the cake stodgy. 


4. Spoon into 12 paper cases, then bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. They are done when the sponge bounces back when touched, or you can use the old skewer cake test just to check they're completely done. 


Icing
Ingredients


300g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temp. 
40g cocoa powder
40ml milk


Method


1. Beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together in a mixer or with an electric whisk, until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. 


2. With the mixer on a slow speed, add the milk a few drops at a time. Once the milk is all incorporated, turn the mixer up onto high. Beat the icing for at least 5 minutes (the longer you beat it for, the lighter and fluffier it will become). 


3. Pipe onto cupcakes and enjoy!


P.S. For those of you who asked for an icing tutorial, I will try to do one over Easter when I have more time. For now though, I recommend Lakeland's professional piping set and their get a grip piping bags. Definitely worth the small investment


25 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the squires tip, am getting so annoyed with pretty cases that just look rubbish when baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make the most beautiful pictures <3 they make me happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to bake today and am going to make these after seeing this post! Thanks for the recipe!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so nice! I got the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook for christmas and *still* haven't made anything out of it, I am definitely going to do so at the next opportunity though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these on your twitter the other day but looking at them a second time doesn't make them look any less yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm yet to bake anything from my hummingbird book; these are so top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must try a gluten free version of these (hence why I bought the Hummingbird book, so I could convert them!). I love those paper cases! And the chocolate does look good with the blue...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely trying these next time I have a bake day. They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so so so so much! i wanted to try out a new recipe, but i didn't know which i should use! i will use this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well these look divine! I am going to save this recipe for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much for posting this!! after looking at all of the amazing pastries you make I've been dying to try one myself, and this recipe seems do-able for an inexperienced chef :) totally going to do this with my friends soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm gutted I've given chocolate up for Lent. I keep flicking past these in my Hummingbird book - must.not.look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowwee! Yours look amazing! I made these the other day and they turned out very sticky, so not sure what I did wrong but very yummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm, you make me want to try these out too! i love the shade of the blue cases next to the chocolate colour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word, these all look so scrumptious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, these look amazing. You always get your icing so perfect!

    I've had a very cupcakey weekend, I'm gradually working my way through the Hummingbird book. Still haven't tried the chocolate ones though! Although after seeing this post am very very tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chocolate on chocolate is the best sort of cupcake as far as I'm concerned. Suddenly got really hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  18. These just look delicious! I might just try out the recipe myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seeing your beautiful desserts I bought the Hummingbird bakery book and I love it ! Those chocolates cupcakes looks so yummy, you did a great job !

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh hummingbird bakery you are so divine! thanks for posting the recipe. i think i shall try and make these tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look beautiful!

    Love Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for the recipe! It looks difficult to do (for me) but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Omg!So many sweets at the same blog!
    Definitely a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, so yummy looking! I love the little blue wrappers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails