Tuesday, 13 April 2010

The Grand National

I spent the last weekend attending Ladies Day and The Grand National at Aintree. It was my first time visiting, but it has always been a Liverpool institution, with the girls spending months and months deciding on what to wear. I adore scouse fashion, lots of the girls have so much more confidence than me and wear such outrageous outfits. Looking over the coverage of Ladies Day by the newspapers, unfortunately some just focus on the terrible outfits and the bad tans. Daily Mail and The Telegraph - I'm looking at you. The photos that they choose to write about don't even represent half of the girls there and it annoys me so much! To be fair, there are some terribly dressed attendees, but you're bound to get that anywhere. These newspapers make out that this is what EVERYONE was wearing though and people comment about how tacky and common Liverpool girls are. NOT TRUE! Anyway, mini rant over!

This is what I wore. The Grand National requires 'smart dress', but I'm not quite sure when the traditional for going dressed as if you're going to a wedding began, but I love it! (although I'm sure my bank balance did not). Anyway, my dress is from a little shop in Valencia, because I really did not want to be wearing the same dress as anyone else there. I was looking at a lovely polka dot number in Coast but I'm glad I didn't splash out on that because I lost count of how many people I saw wearing it. I got my fascinator made to match the green colour of my dress. My handbag is one I've had for about 6 years now but never really used as it's too small. My shoes were a last minute purchase from Debenhams, which ended up hurting my feet far too much by the end of the weekend!


Every year, there is a 'style competition' and the winner is announced by Colleen Rooney (wife of footballer Wayne) on the Saturday. This year Sophie Fairclough won, with this gorgeous dress from online boutique Suzannah. We saw her on Ladies Day and all gushed over how nice she looked so she deserved to win. I love the colour and simplicity of it.

Colleen wore BLACK on ladies day and no hat! Shock horror. She looked nice though, although I did notice that less and less people are wearing facinators or hats now. Most just looked like they were dressed up for a night out. I jumped at the chance to wear a big fascinator though because it's one of the few times you can get away with it (other than a wedding).

I think we all enjoyed it so much we're up for going again next year. Better start planning next years outfit then!

34 comments:

  1. You look absolutely lovely! Those newspapers should feature YOU instead of the horrible-dressed girls, I'm sure they'd sell a lot more copies ;)

    I'm glad you liked Shakespeare & Co, too! It was my first time there but I'll definitely return to purchase a few more beautiful books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww how gorgeous do you look!?! Green really suits you :)

    I hate to say it, but I think Coleen looks slightly tacky there, I don't know exactly why I think that though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look gorgeous! Love the whole outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you looked perfect Helen! the dress is gorgeous and the fascinator ads the proportion for perfection!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you lucky thing! you looked better than anyone I saw in the media coverage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look perfect for the occasion and the fashion looks fierce. Like Colennn's dress
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this sounds fun and I love your fascinator it is very Carrie Bradshaw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is beautiful!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look gorgeous!! Glad you had a good time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a fun event. The dress and fascinator are so great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh gosh, don't you just look gorgeous? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look wonderful! that green totally suits you.

    What a great occasion, I'm so tempted to look into doing it next year!

    And hmmm, not sure about Coleens look to be honest :s

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to the national, think I'll try and get some friends to go with me next year! Did you win anything?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look gorgeous! Very old school glamour. Any excuse to wear a fascinator is fine by me!

    I've never been to the Grand National but I've been to Ladies Day at York Races before and loved it. Funnily enough, last time I went I wore a dress in the exact shade of green as yours! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh darling you look amazing I love the quaint hat!! I love the look and you’re the perfect person to pull-it-off♥ I love it…I also love your last post those dresses are amazing they look so classy and am loving your red vintage shoes…..you look so cute I need to buy some dresses with that vintage cut they look so lovely! Oh darling you are definitely fashion inspiration♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your outfit! and any occasion that involves fascinators is fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely dress! I really want an excuse to wear a fascinator now haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your dress, the green is a very nice color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like fun! I'm always surprised at the amount of short skirts at the races ... I don't know, maybe I'm old-fashioned? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. aw, fascinators are basically the whole point of the races!

    don't you have how the media do that?! so rude and horrible, they should feature the well-dressed like you. emerald is such a gorgeous colour on you =] xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh you look stunning! and good on you for praising liverpool girls style! the tabloids need to get over themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a great outfit! Getting the chance to wear a fascinator/hat is rare these days, i'm quite jealous! :)

    http://abookofblair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so pretty :) I love going to Ascot, it's fab to dress up!

    p.s I have tagged you on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. ah you look lovely, your outfit is just lovely. i always go to ours in newcastle, there are some sights to see!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your look and that hat is mine! remember?!

    you look absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look stunning! I went on the Thursday and although I was dressed up by my standards, I didn't aim for any great heights of style. Easing my way into it gently - perhaps next year I'll look as good as you!

    The media commentary annoys me greatly. I blogged some photos from the races last week and I hope I wasn't too critical - I was, on the whole, so impressed with the effort all the girls put into their outfits. A little less fake tan (embrace the paleness people!) would have been nice but you can't have everything.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love that colour on you, you look very glamourous and tres sophisticated.. Green is one of those universally flattering shades I think! I agree about the fascinators/hats though...I take ANY opportunity to dress up! :P

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. your fascinator is just excellent! I don't think I have any occasion to wear one that grand, not even a wedding would call for such a thing.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so in love with your fascinator!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, looks like a great time! I'm so jealous :) You look lovely and how I adore your fascinator.

    inbugsdrawers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ever since I went to the Aintree three days fixture fifteen years ago I have been fascinated by Ladies Day. In fact me and the guys resign ourselves to the fact it's too difficult to study the form whilst studying the stunning women who attend.Some gutter papers do give the event some bad press but many of the broadsheets now acknowledge a very stylish day.

    P.S- Anyone with facebook search for Aintree Ladies Day Appreciation and you will find a group.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the hat!!
    http://www.donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

    follow if u like what u see?

    happy day!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. You look lovely and definitely any excuse to wear a hat or fascinator is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails