Monday, 26 April 2010

Icing cupcakes tutorial

So, lots of you have commented on my perfect icing and demanded I do a tutorial, so here goes! These are my best tips for pretty icing. I use this recipe for chocolate icing and this recipe for vanilla icing.

piping bags and piping tip
I use lakeland 'get a grip' icing bags, but I think any disposable icing bags are good. I did have a nylon one that I re-used, but it got a bit grubby and was so hard to clean, I thought it was quite unhygienic, so I always recommend disposable ones now. I use this icing tip, which came with this professional icing kit .

After making the icing, I use a silicon spatula from Ikea to scrape my icing into one big lump and then spoon it onto my icing bag. I couldn't get any photos of this, but what I do is: I put the tip in the bag, cut off about 4cm of the bag, push the tip through and then scoop the icing into the bag. It is best to try and get the icing in the bag in one go, to avoid pockets of air. Then I push it towards the bottom of the bag and twist the excess bag around.
Icing bag prepped

For my glitter sprinkles, I bought a small paintbrush especially for sprinkling it. I just dab the brush in the glitter then lightly shake it over the cupcakes. It's important to do this as you go along icing them, so that the glitter sticks to the damp icing. If you try and put the glitter on later it just won't stick.

glitter for cupcakes



And this is how I ice! It takes quite a bit of practice and it was quite hard to gauge exactly how much to put on each cake, but I've masted it now. I control the icing bag from the top and do it in one smooth movement. It's also important to keep the angle the same at which you hold it at. Also don't try to rush and apply too much pressure, otherwise the icing pops out of the bag!

iced cupcakes
I hope this helps! I want to see all your pretty iced cupcakes now!

28 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! THESE LOOK SCRUMDIDLYUMPTIOUS! They really are 'edible art'. I love the glitter.

    xx Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you SO much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant! the vlog was a good idea :)

    Danni
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this looks pretty icing is the thing i cant do so im gonna try it againxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU!
    your icing is always so perfect!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, the video was really helpful! I need to get to Lakeland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious looking cupcakes! I listened to Debussy's Claire de Lune while watching your video, it made it even more magical :P
    I never bother with pretty icing, but I will definitely start now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really appreciate you posting this, especially the recipe for your icing too! mmmm.... can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah! I may have to bake some cakes this weekend. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh they look fantastic! My first attempt at using a piping bag looked pretty shonky - I shall have to give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh pretty yum yum cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! I was hypnotised watching you make those perfect circles! Will definitely give your technique a go. Thanks for sharing! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any kind of cooking/baking scares the bejesus out of me, but you make it sound easy and the end result is gorgeous. Might be enough to tempt me out of kitchen-phobia! x
    http://equatorlive.com/weshop/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, lovely!!! And I love the video. Disposable icing bags are a fab idea, I can't believe I never thought of that before. And I'm getting a tip like yours - I'm always so jealous of your frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh, lovely! and edible glitter? my you are talented. i just smothered my petits gateaux in dollops of frosting and tried to sort of swirl them around into a pretty shape. but it's high time i get a little more professional. anywho, here they are!

    http://byaccidentsandsagacity.blogspot.com/2010/04/strawberry-shortcakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, thanks so much for the tutorial! The video is great. I'd love to use icing on cupcakes, but I am quite concerned about using artificial coloring and such, so I'll have to see if I can find a replacement for that. You don't know any way to make pretty icing with natural colors and preservatives?

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmmmmm, lovin' the glitter!

    Darling L, from Spain (I'm new in this blog world, but I'm pretty excited with the adventure! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  18. the most beautiful cupcakes I've seen! thank you for sharing Helen!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! those look simply heavenly! and i love that we get a video of how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, those look adorable! Love your blog =)

    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, now i'm craving for some cupcakes.. but it's 3 in the morning here :(. Great tutorial, the glitter touch is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I really must buy some edible glitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you so much for putting this up. i use a cylinder thingy but it's quite messy. i like the idea of the disposable bags. yours are quite perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for your words of advice:) I do shave me legs, but for the rash it's a complicated process. I've had it since elementary school, and I'm in highschool now. I've learned to manage though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Helen! I use a reusable bag too but I think I might replace it with the disposable ones. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I LOVE your cupcakes! xoxo from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant, just made some cup cakes with this style icing. Not as perfect as urs, but i'm happy.

    Check it out at:
    http://surfjewels.blogspot.com

    Hannah.
    Handmade Jewellery
    http://surfjewels.000space.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails