Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Gill's chocolate cake

Gill's chocolate cake

I made this chocolate cake after trying some that my colleague Gill had made and loving it. It was an amazing chocolate cake, not too rich, not too dry, just right. So I asked her for her recipe and she printed it off for me in work. She always makes cakes to bring into work and gets asked for the recipes so often that she has them all on her computer in work! Libraries and librarians really love cake. It's true.

122/365 Gill's chocolate cake

So this is my attempt at her cake! It was really easy. I made it in 2 cake tins instead of 1, which is what she does, because I am lazy and thought it was too much effort to cut the cake in half. Plus, it cooked a lot quicker this way. And I am always impatient for cake!

Gill's chocolate cake

Wow, look at that close up. The icing is an amazing fudgey icing and it was wonderful if you popped the cake in the microwave for 30 seconds because it created a lovely fudgey sauce for the cake.

Recipe

Ingredients

75g cocoa powder
350ml boiling water
175g butter
275g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
275g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Grease 2 8 inch cake tins.

Dissolve the cocoa powder in the boiling water and allow to cool.

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Then gradually beat in the eggs.

Sift the flour, bicarb & baking powder. Fold the flour and cocoa mixture alternately into the creamed mixture.

Pour this into the cake tins and bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes, or until firm to touch.

Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool completely.

Icing

150g plain chocolate, broken up into small chunks
75g butter, cubed
3 tablespoons milk
225g icing sugar, sifted

Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Gradually beat the melted mixture into the icing sugar until the mixture is smooth. Beat in the milk & mix well. Sandwich the cake with about 1/3 of the icing and spread the rest on the top & sides of cake.

27 comments:

  1. I particularly like the pale blue flowers on the chocolate icing. Looks so good. Beginner bakers unite! I'm making choco chip cookies tomorrow, and I've crossed off scones.

    A from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - will be trying this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, that looks delicious! I wish I had time to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, that looks scrumptious! Thanks to you and Gill for sharing the recipe.

    I did my work experience in a library - you're so right about librarians and cake (and biscuits, and sweets!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your cake looks oh so yummy! and rather perfect to be honest. ohh, i think i may have to bake a cake this weekend!

    love, jazzabelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That. Looks. INCREDIBLE!!! I want some! I must bake it after my exams...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this! It's my friend's birthday at the weekend and she's a massive chocaholic (like me!) so this cake is perfect. Will report back on how I get on! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks 4 sharing!!! this looks so yummy!! will give it a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh there is a GP at my Mum's work who's just found out he's going to be a dad again, and he's such a chocoholic, I might make him this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am never sure about chocolate cake - it is always too dry or bitter but that looks absolutely delicious and you've iced it to perfection!

    I am going to try and make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh, this cake looks delicious, I will definitely bake it by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum! that looks thick, moist and delicious! thanks for posting the recipe, i can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. woWw..
    i'M huNGRy LooKiNg aT uR caKeS!
    (^.^)v

    deLiciOuS..
    u aRE GOoD iN COoKiNg..
    NiCe..

    www.aldoakira.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow I just found your blog and you have really amazing style and so many lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it looks and sounds so delicious! I've got to save this recipe & try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love cake and i MUST try that recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks simply PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. saved it to my desktop to try next week :) is that a lovely John Lewis plate I see?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet cake,
    hey I have a fashion blog and would love to have you as one of my followers, I can follow you back if you want

    http://miabbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is the most perfect slice of cake! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been looking at this cake recipe every time i look at your blog and i finally got around to making it yesterday. My family really liked it and said i should make it again! Thanks for a great recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made this at the weekend and it was yummy - and the 30 seconds in the microwave tip was a good one, too! My boyfriend said it was the best chocolate cake he'd ever had, although my icing skills leave something to be desired so it didn't look anywhere near as lovely as yours! Thanks so much to you (and Gill!) for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails