Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Off duty librarian

3rd May 2010
skirt - topshop, t-shirt - belle and sebastian, cardigan - zara.

This outfit is quite amusing because although I would say that this skirt is 'workwear' I can actually only wear it when I'm not in work. It is slightly tight and therefore very impractical for librarians - too much reaching or bending down for books and carrying things! Also, in the library where I work I have to go up and down lots of stairs from floor to floor (sure I could take the lift, but I like to think of it as a mini work out) and this skirt is too tight around my thighs to allow my legs to actually move properly. I have learnt since working in a library that it is difficult to wear pretty things and still be able to run around, kneel on the floor, get dusty, carry lots of books, bend down and still feel pretty and dignified. It's not as glamorous as you would think! (if you ever did...)

librarian

I got this badge for Christmas and I love it! It's red and states exactly what my profession is (although my official job title is 'Casual trainee librarian'). I don't wear this for work either, because, well, I would feel a bit silly. Kind of like a teacher wearing a teacher badge - I don't need a badge to tell people what my profession is when I'm in work. But when I'm not in work I like it in a kitsch way, plus people are like 'You're not really a librarian?' and I can be like 'yes, yes I am!'. Plus I'm very lucky and love my job so why not walk around with a badge saying it? Ugh yeah I know that makes me sound like a right geek but what can I say.

Also: how long is my hair getting?! Haven't had a hair cut since January and even that was a minuscule amount I'm not sure it can count. I'm unsure what to do with my hair. Grow it more? Get a trim and tidy it up? More layers? Bobbed? It's certainly getting a bit impractical because it takes so long to wash and dry and brush and then it also gets caught on pretty much everything and I moult everywhere. But, on the other hand, I love swishing it about and it's long enough to experiment with braids now.

24 comments:

  1. Cute cute cute :) I love the badge - wish they had one that says 'unemployed by "insert smart word here"' for myself :) hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't burst my bubble. I still think it is pretty glamorous to be a librarian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your outfits and your color palette! You always wear colors that look so beautiful on you!

    I'm also very jealous you are a librarian for being surrounded by books everyday sounds like heaven!
    And I was noticing how long your hair was getting only a few posts ago and think it looks so very pretty. Perhaps you should keep it long for Summer and then do a short cut for the Fall!
    xxx
    Saoirse

    ReplyDelete
  4. that librarian badge is cute! You should wear it to work one day just for fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe love the librarian pin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look so lovely, and I would be proud to wear the librarian badge, too! I used to want to be a librarian when I was little, but somehow got swayed in a different direction. Ah well! I'm so happy you love what you do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely outfit! I love it, especially the badge and the t-shirt! I would love that b&s t-shirt, is it from the website?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found ur blog. So cute!


    D e g a i n e

    http://www.fashiondegaine.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your librarian badge - it's fab. I spent 2 happy uni summers working as a temp library assistant at Central Library in Edinburgh, which is an absolutely beautiful building. Sometimes I regret not making librarianship my career - guess it's never to late to retrain though. x
    http://equatorlive.com/weshop/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The skirt is soooo cute anyways :) I thinks it's great that you are a librarian, I have a passion for books since I was a kid. I'm actually a journalist for Dow Jones Newswires and The Wall Street Journal Europe, but I'm studying a postgraduade degree to become a publisher, it's my dream :) I love the tag by the way! And you may know it but I recommend you "The Bookshop" by Penelope Fitzgerald, it suits you so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, your outfit is so lovely dear, i'm loving the badge too :) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that skirt! & I'm loving the red tights :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being a librarian (or a bookshop owner) is my dream job, though now I'm settling for being a lawyer (fingers crossed).

    My favourite fictional librarian? Evie from the Mummy: "Look, I -- I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell! But I am proud of what I am! . . . I . . . am a librarian!" ;P

    A from Manila, http://aplusbinthesea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a librarian as well! Love the pin :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore your little badge - I thought it was your actual librarian's pin! I really, really love your outfit posts & got a little sad because I thought you'd stopped doing them :( hehe. I couldn't imagine you with short hair! Remember the post you did where you had your hair cut a couple of inches & it was a big thing for you. Keep the long hair, girl! It's you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a cute badge. You sure have lots of polka dotted things, haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your pin badge !
    http://mamiecanem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. this outfit screams helen! :)
    you look so cute and your badge is adorable!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your outfit, so cute and the red tights makes it so much more fun.=)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the outfit, badge & the idea of being a librarian surrounded by books all day (though I'd probably get fired for sitting and reading them rather than working!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hello,
    i liked your blog.
    fallow me.
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can just imagine you with some dear little braids wrapped round your head! Your skirt is amazing, you may be one of the few people who would consider polka dots "work wear" even if you don't wear it to work! Very very cute indeed.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your badge, I want one even though I'm a library assistant :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, a Belleseb loving librarian? You're literally living my dream, jealous. Love the pin and the t-shirt (I own it, and the Panto one too!) - so adorable!

    Rosie xx
    Just Listen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails