Sunday, 2 May 2010

Picnics!

picnics

What better than a picnic on a May bank holiday weekend?! Well, maybe if the weather improved... I think I shall have to wait a bit longer to have a lovely picnic in the sunshine, but yesterday I bought the most perfect picnic box, at Dagfield's Crafts & Antiques in Cheshire. Yes, picnic baskets do have that 'classic' picnic feel about them, but these picnic boxes by Brexton are so retro that I couldn't resist them! Plus because they're a box, no nasty creepy crawlies can climb inside your picnic either. (I remember once a wasp climbed into my sister's can on a childhood picnic and then she drank from the can not knowing and much squealing commenced!). I suppose creepy crawlies are all a part of the picnic experience though, along with soggy sandwiches and being unable to find the perfect spot to put your blanket on (too high! too steep! too wet!).


picnic box



picnic box

121/365

picnic boxes

This is the second of my picnic boxes, as you can see. I've already got a nice blue one, although that came empty without any of the plates or cutlery, so I mostly just use it for storage. This new one though shall most definitely get used!

On our family picnics, we would ALWAYS have cheese and tomato sandwiches and the tomato would make the bread go soggy, but in a strangely nice way. Then when we got home, if there were ever any leftover sandwiches, my Nana would soak them in egg and fry them. The best were fried ham butties! Oh and Scotch Eggs are also a picnic must. What's your favourite picnic food? Hope you all have had a lovely weekend and are enjoying the bank holiday if you're off work! Mine sadly won't be spent picnicking but instead doing Uni work - full steam ahead now!

31 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! Where did you find this beauty?!

    My favourite picnic food is hummous and crusty bread and cakes for desert with pink lemonade to drink! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added it to the post, it's from a place called Dagfield's Crafts & Antiques in Cheshire, it's a little treasure trove of antiques & bric a brac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want a picnic box now! I didn't know they existed five minutes ago and now I'm quite desperate for one. So lovely.

    My favourite picnic food is guacamole and crunchy vegetables to dip in it. I could eat it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't gone for a picnic for a long time!
    anyway, I adore your boxes!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum cheese and tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of classic British picnics, but with beautiful picnic boxes like those, I'd never take them anywhere!
    I think my favourite picnic food is cold pasta - eaten using a tacky lime green plastic fork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old fashioned picnic boxes, yours are lovely! And I especially like how you use proper china instead of silly old plastic things.

    I don't know what my favourite picnic food would be, but I always remember my mum's potato salad as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow your tea sets are adorable!! i definitely wanna go on a picnic now. =)

    myblissisthisway

    ReplyDelete
  9. Picnics are the ultimate... there are no words to categorise them. They are just ultimate. Ultra ultimate. Take any day, a nice sunny day, where you're stuck for something to do & having a picnic is a viable option. Got a date? Picnic! Want to hang out with friends? Picnic! Want to read a book in the sun? Picnic! They're just one of my favourite things, haha. Not to mention I'm a total foodie which probably doesn't help! I love miniature anything so little cupcakes or eclairs, mmm. & a large array of sandwiches, all cut into the tiniest triangles with no crusts on. That's picnic food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. is that an antique? haha i am in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I want to buy a picnic box too!
    Hope you are be able to do your picnic sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty! I'm planning a big post exam picnic with some of my best girlfriends this summer... so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like we were thinking along the same lines re picnics! Fortunately the weather warmed up for us in New York. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh if only the weather were warm enough today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How utterly delightful! I can imagine you, nibbling cucumber sandwiches and glugging Pimms from a flask, laid out on a picnic blanket with this darling set. I just love it!

    My favourite picnic food would be the aforementioned cucumber sandwiches and a flask of Pimms along with hummus and carrot sticks and maybe a chocolate eclair for dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love these! i really started getting into picnics last year & hope we have some good weather this year to go on more of them. but i usually just call at m&s on the way. having this picnic kit would definitely make me more organised!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's gorgeous! I was just saying the other day that I really want a picnic hamper, I was looking at one today at a car boot in fact! But yours is a million times prettier.

    My favourite picnic food is probably crusty bread and butter, and dip! Oh and Pimms!! We went on a fantastic one in Cambridge a couple of years ago, we went to Sainsburys first and bought loads of nice nibbles, and then we went punting!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love your picnic boxes -- and picnics! beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, that's just a perfectly beautiful picnic set. Praying for a decent summer in Scotland for lazy picnic days in the countryside. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh it's wonderful! I must check out that shop at some point.

    Picnics must must must involve chicken paste and tomato sandwiches and crisps. Mmmmm.

    You were right about where I work by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my! I wish I had a picnic box like yours! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your sweet comment on the pinwheels. I too am just adoring picnics these days- Your boxes are so lovely & inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy May :) There's nothing lovelier than a weekend picnic and those first images make we want to picnic lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh, these picnic boxes make me feel so "retro touched", they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a lovely post! Your picnic hampers are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a °chic picnic°... typical british may be...???? and I check the address for the while i'll come just 1h far from here, just on the other side of the Channel.... see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my god! i have one of these! Got it in a charity shop!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are so cute !
    makes me want to picnic this weekend !!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails