Monday, 24 May 2010

Summer is here! (for a bit, anyway)

This weekend has been so glorious in England, I'm really sad that it's going to go back to it's cool, cloudy ways for the rest of the week. The hot weather gets me dreaming of summer holidays in Italy or Paris and I adore being ever so slightly sunkissed. I guess it would become a bit tiresome if it was constantly in the mid 20s from May until September... Actually, no. I would love that, but I know most people in England wouldn't! Whilst I was declaring my love for the warm weather and wishing it could be this hot all summer, Scott said that he would hate it because he'd end up spending so much money on sun block! Haha.

24th May 2010

But yeah, bare legs! And sandals! It's hard work having to shave your legs and paint your toe nails though, I could see it becoming slightly tiresome after a while. But for now, I'm loving it. I have a slight line on the tops of my legs from sitting outside in my dress yesterday. If it was this hot for one week solid, I would be positively bronze. Today is slightly cooler here, but still sunny. This little dress is perfect for spring/summer days. The belt that came with it always get so tangled up, so I decided to use this cute bow belt from ASOS last year. I think it makes a cute dress even cuter. My sandals are old Primark. Not worn much because of the wonderful climate in the UK, so I am getting the most out of them now. I have spent all weekend reading this book:

143/365

and I finished it this afternoon. I noticed how it matched my dress slightly so thought it would make for a good photo for fashionable bookworms. This is also nominated for the Orange Prize and I think I enjoyed this much more than The White Woman on The Green Bicycle (although the last 100 or so pages of that were really, really good!). I started reading it on Saturday night and whizzed through all 322 pages of it by Monday afternoon. I love it when I'm that engrossed in a book that I finish it so so quickly, but in other ways I sometimes wish I could read it slower and enjoy it more. I guess it's kind of like when you have a big bowl of ice cream: sometimes you want to savour it and enjoy every mouthful, but other times you just have to gobble it up as quickly as possible.

Oh I also wanted to share with you this lovely blog, I know what you wore this Summer, that Gem created and people can submit their summery outfits too. I've already submitted today's outfit.

Have you been enjoying the sunshine this weekend? Are you fed up of it already or sad to see it go? I am very sad to see it go! But maybe I will be more productive indoors instead of just reading outside all the time haha.

42 comments:

  1. For me, the heat is most unbearable at night! But I will be sad to see it go , and I probably wont be able to get away with wearing my sandals through puddles if it starts raining ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about 20 pages left in Lorrie Moore's new book. Have you read Anagrams or Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? I think I preferred them, but a lot can happen in 20 pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress and I am happy that I just found your blog today! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dress! I've been absolutely loving the sunshine. Work today was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so weird, I just finished the same book and totally got obsessed with it at the end. but the book is full of so many fantastic witticisms and observations I also wish I took it slower. I may write a post on it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been lovely these past few days, although I have been working for all of it! It sounds like you have been enjoying the weather..... your dress is so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving the warm weather atm, too bad I'm supposed to be revising! I love your dress, and matching book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these pictures!! and ur dress
    your blog is awesome

    I am going to follow it--please follow mine too!!!


    sunnypeaches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress, and you're right, it looks even pretier with the bow belt :) also I really like those sandals!
    I am really used to the heat, but when it goes over the 30ºC in the summer, that is what is the worst! but if I had weather bellow the 20´s from May to September, that would be even more unbearable ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you are so lovely. Have you read Lorrie Moore's other work? She is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love that dress so much. And I wish I could tan like you, but I'll have to be happy to be extremely pale!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your dress! the bow belt looks lovely with it. Oh, i thought i'm going to melt in this heat and my skin is now 2 shades darker than it was during winter. But i still prefer this to snow though.. i'm a tropical girl at heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dress! I've been enjoying the sunshine but I have to be so careful with it or I just burn horribly. Definitely couldn't cope with weather like this for months on end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Helen! I wish I tanned like you, but I am either pasty or red.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love your dress and your blog! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. your sandals are so cute. I'm enjoying bare legged weather right now too! I love books that totally absorb me, the last i read that did that was Jellicoe Road.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's nearly the end of summer here in the Philippines. My sister woke me up two hours early today to scream "It's raining!". And it was. I never was so happy. The sun's back out though, across both hemispheres. :P

    A from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  18. you are SO CUTE! i'm loving your dress, very summery.

    i love hot summer days with popsicles and freckles, but i also love rainy days to counter-balance them every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are adorable !
    I love your dress !

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's just a bit over 20 degrees here right now and being so close to June, I dare say rather abnormal for us (I live spot on in the middle of the Mediterranean XD) and temperatures go well above 30 degrees possibly reaching 40 on those terribly unkind August days but there's always the sea all round to look forward to. :)

    Love your dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look so beautiful as ever! Love the dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the dress! im sad the sun has gone too even thou i get sun burnt!! Im currently readng the host by stephannie meyers..im totally hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute dress! I've always loved the heat and sun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are you and Scott married? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, Impressive post!

    Check out my new shoe designing blog, the link is,

    http://louboutininthemaking.blogspot.com

    All designs are Hand-Drawn,

    Comment and tell a friend if you like what you see.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous - No we are not married! Haha. We don't even live together at the moment, although we are planning on doing so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the book recommendation - will definitely check this one out!

    I'm exactly the same with books - if I love them, I fly through them then get sad when they're over! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank-you for your comment, helen. i replied on the post you commented on :)

    your dress is so pretty, i love the shape of it and your bow belt is very cute indeed!

    i've been meaning to say this for a while, i think your polaroid wall is just lovely!

    love, jazzabelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm loving the weather at the moment - I'm wishing for a summer spent at the beach with ice cream cones and bbqs!

    And your dress is so cute, it looks great with the bow belt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. that dress is so darling! So charming. I may have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aw, you look lovely!! :D That dress is beyond cute!

    And I agree, I get annoyed having to shave my legs all the time in the summer too! Ha! Cold weather and tights make things so much easier!

    http://playingdressupwithkellie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. you and your blog are too precious! so glad i stumbled upon your little world over here!

    silver song bird necklace giveaway www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your dress is absolutely darling!

    http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com
    http://closetfullofgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. that dress is so elegant it looks wonderful on you!
    I love the floral design :)
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  35. First that dress is gorgeus. And second yay for nice weather. Here in madrid has been one of the most rainy winters that I remember and now temperatures are rising all I want to do is sun bathing and going out. Too bad it geets to hot in mid july & august! temperatures rise till 40ºC! no joke!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really like those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can hardly believe those sandals are from Primark, they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh what happened to the weather? tempted us in & then turned to winter! i love this outfit, so pretty for summer. & you would recommend this book? i haven't read a thoroughly engrossing book for so long

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails