Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Vote!


Tomorrow is the first UK general election that I have been able to vote in and I am so excited to go and use my vote. I always think of the suffragettes who fought for the female vote and it makes me feel privileged to be able to vote and have a say in the future of our country. People may be cynical about politics and say things like 'Oh it doesn't effect me' or 'they're all the same aren't they?', but they are wrong! Politics affects everyone. Every time you fill up your tank with petrol, have a pint of beer, go to the Dr's, have your bin collected, claim benefits, pay taxes, try to get a mortgage or go to Uni, you are affected by politics.

I have been reading up on all of the parties and what their policies are, and then looking at my local candidates and seeing what they are saying they'll do in my local area. I think I've decided who to vote for now and will be running to the polling station tomorrow morning to put my X on the ballot. Then I shall await eagerly the results. All that I am hoping for is that the Tories do not get in, the thought of it scares me. I'm not going to go on a big rant, because this isn't a political blog nor do I wish to influence anyone the wrong way. If you're unsure of who to vote for, visit the BBC website here to compare party policies on different topics, and then visit the Sky News website here for a little quiz which will help you decide. An uneducated vote is a wasted vote I believe!

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with your elections tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited for tomorrow! I hate tactical voting though, I wish people would just vote for the party they want to instead of voting for a certain party to stop the torys getting in!
    (I'm voting Lib Dem btw, go Clegg!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must check what time the polling station opens. Need to go on the way to work. Always find it all quite exciting. xx
    http://equatorlive.com/weshop/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't WAIT to vote, I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thoroughly looking forward to tomorrow and in my utter geekdom, have even booked Friday off work so I can stay up all night watching the results roll in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's my first time voting too, and I've gotta admit, I'm pretty excited. Think I've finally decided on who I'm voting for (and don't worry, it's not for Cameron!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So which of the lego men is Nick Clegg?

    Our elections are on Monday (I hope) and I'm envious that you are all excited about voting. We have 76,000 defective memory cards for poll machines...

    A from Manila, http://aplusbinthesea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still don't know who i'm going to vote for. they're all very uninspiring

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am dreading the fact that David Cameron might be Prime Minister within the next couple of days. I agree it is SO important that we vote - we owe it to the women who fought so hard for our right to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im so excited about voting - im just eligible this year - it's so important!

    Merci beaucoup for your wonderful comment darling, it means the absolute world that you like the blog and I hope you become a regular visitor =]

    I absolutely love your blog too - would you like to exchange links?

    Sorry it took so long to reply, I took a week's break from blogging - so good to be back!

    Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
    English Rose x
    http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go Cleggy! So who'd you vote for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. Even though I'm American, I do believe every vote counts. I know for awhile my generation was very apathetic to politics until Obama came along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree, it's so important! I found it quite hard to decide who to vote for, but as long as it's not the Tories who get in I think I'll be satisfied with the result!! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails