Sunday, 13 June 2010

White chocolate baking extravaganza

On one of my days off last week I took the opportunity to bake. I felt like I hadn't baked anything in a while (a week with no baking is a long time for me!) so I made TWO lovely baked goods! I was having a browse through my most favourite cookbook ever, The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, and I couldn't decide between the blondies and the white chocolate and pecan cookies. Since they both used a lot of the same ingredients (butter, flour, sugars, white chocolate & nuts), I decided to try them both. I'm normally more of a darker chocolate girl and I love love love brownies and double chocolate cookies, but for some reason I was in the mood for terribly sweet white chocolate treats.

153/365

First up, white chocolate & pecan cookies. These involve making up the dough, stirring in chopped up white chocolate and pecans, then moulding the dough into log shapes in clingfilm and freezing for an hour or so. Then you slice the cookies and put them straight onto a baking tray into the oven. I really liked this method because it meant that all of the cookies were the same shape and size (okay, except for the odd one...). They were really delicious and easy to make, I might try using the same dough recipe but adding dark chocolate and hazelnuts. Yum.

Blondies

Then, I made the blondies. These are made in the same way as brownies, in that you melt the chocolate & butter together then add the other ingredients to the wet mix. The thing with white chocolate though is that it doesn't melt in the same way as milk or dark chocolate, because it doesn't contain any cocoa solids, just cocoa butter. Because of this it can split easily and look really oily with the melted butter. I mixed it in with the eggs anyway and it turned out okay. I'm a bit unsure about these really. The white chocolate didn't add too much to the taste of the blondie other than make it super sweet. I think that Rachel Allen's peanut butter & white chocolate blondies were nicer (perhaps because I love peanut butter so much!).

I would love to share these recipes with you, but I think I've shared enough recipes from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and I don't want to get done for copyright or anything! Plus I would like to encourage you all to buy it because it such a GREAT cookbook, I really don't think I could live without it now (and no, I'm not being paid by them or anything hah).

So, I'm not sure I would make the blondies again but definitely the cookies, because the dough is a good base for any other mixtures. I think I'll stick with my dark chocolate brownies thanks. Do you prefer dark or white chocolate? I do like white chocolate, don't get me wrong, but it seemed a bit flavourless and oversweet in these recipes. And it's not real chocolate is it?

29 comments:

  1. I hear so many great things about this cookbook! i NEED to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baked goods always look so neat! I am the messiest baker ever. I made those blondies too - they were nice, but not amazing. The next time I made them, I stirred in chunks of white chocolate too (which went gooey - a good addition) and fresh raspberries. Was pretty good! They were amazing warm.

    It's the best cookbook in the world, isn't it? I can't wait for the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm these look delicious! Especially the cookies! I've never tried making blondies before but maybe I will look up a recipe that includes peanut butter. Now I feel like baking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan o white chocolate, but these look so delicious i could devour them! anyway, your baked goodies look always so delicious!
    Oh and I'm a peanut butter lover too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those cookies look so delicious! I'm a major fan of chocolate but prefer dark if I have a choice. I would certainly add some dark chocolate to the blondies and call them fake blondes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so odd that you mentioned Rachel Allen's blondies because I really wanted to try making them the other day, but then found unfortunately we had no white chocolate. I really like white chocolate myself, but I think you have to be in the right mood for it, and the cheap stuff sometimes is just so sweet it's horrible. But Green and Blacks white chocolate for instance... yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. every time I visit your blog I get this huge urge to bake!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you so much for the comment!
    I may need to try those blondies, they look delicious. I've never been very good at baking, but I think you just inspired me to get better :)
    xoxo
    -Sam

    http://fearisadirtyword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, yummilicious! I just made some lemon cupcakes, though not from hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooohhh... i love white chocolate!!!! those look yummy.. gosh, i haven't bake in awhile..

    sybil
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the Hummingbird cookbook! I made the marshmallow cupcakes recently and they were divine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the hummingbird bakery cookbook - probably my favourite cookbook I've ever owned!
    You can't beat the carrot cake! I always think that they use a LOT of the ingredients but it always turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your baking always look yummy, mine never look as appetising or tidy lol.

    I prefer dark chocolate, but white chocolate is nice in small amounts as otherwise it's a bit too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ach this is a difficult one for me; i think my order of chocolate would go Dark, White, Milk. But hey, chocolate is chocolate :D

    Danni
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! i really need to use my cookbooks more! I tend to just look at the pictures, which is silly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your blog. just found it browsing around...must follow you now. those blondies look so good..i'm going to have to make something sweet now.

    xoxo


    sockmonkeyandgee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum these look so good! Putting the dough in the freezer and slicing it up to get even sized cookies is such a good idea - I always make mine too big and half the time my cookies melt into each other and end up as one big giant one!

    Milk chocolate is my favourite kind, but I do have a soft spot for Milky Bars haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this looks amazing!!! I wanna try one of those!!! I'm planning making some cookies this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. yumi.. can I take 1 cookie please? :D
    Your baked goods always look so good!

    Have a great week
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yummy yum!! The ribbon is so cute. These would be great little gifts I reckon.

    Love your Blog

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not too much of a white chocolate person, but those cookies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah! rachel allen! she's an irish chef :D but in fact, i actually don't like her tv programme, she seems quite sickly sweet and i bet she eats like a bird, even though she ooohs and aaahs over everything she makes!

    i sometimes wonder if i would be suited to being a librarian, all those books!! i bet your reading list is substantial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum, yum, yum! The cookies look delish! I've never attempted a cookie before, maybe I'll start here. Love my Hummingbird Bakery book! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look delish!

    And as for your comment, I don't know what it is, but I just love taking jumping pictures lately. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  25. i've blogged both of these too, they are both so good. mmm, i have such a sweet tooth, could just eat them now

    ReplyDelete
  26. 7gunsaglik.com 7günsağlık rüya tabirleri medya rüya tabirleri sözlüğü rüya tabirleri yorumları islami rüya tabirleri sitene ekle rüya yorumları haber fıkralar fıkra oku Your baked goods always look so neat! I am the messiest baker ever. I made those blondies too - they were nice, but not amazing. The next time I made them, I stirred in chunks of white chocolate too (which went gooey - a good addition) and fresh raspberries. Was pretty good! They were amazing warm.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow they look great! xo

    http://www.pearlslaceandruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails