Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Blackberry crumb bars

Did everyone have a nice long weekend? I did LOTS of baking over the weekend, it was so nice. My Mum had been blackberry picking and since we still had jam left over from last year, I decided to make some blackberry crumb bars. I first had the inspiration for these about 2 years ago when I saw the blueberry crumb bars on Smitten Kitchen. As blueberries aren't quite as cheap and easily available here as they are in America, I decided to put a British twist on it by using blackberries.

Blackberry crumb bars

This recipe is so quick and easy. It looks complicated, because of the two layers, but the bottom layer and crumbly layer are actually the same mixture. The filling is simply fruit, lemon juice, sugar and corn flour. As Deb on Smitten Kitchen says, you could easily swap the filling for anything else. These could be pretty nice with apples and cinnamon in the autumn and maybe peaches next summer.

I also love that these bars are so versatile. You can serve it straight from the pan with custard for a lovely dessert or chill it and slice it for a tasty snack.

Blackberry crumb bars

Blackberry crumb bars

Do you like my new tea cups too? I've always wanted a glass tea cup and I saw these originally on Pink Bow. They are from BHS Home and every single time I go into my local BHS Home I would eye them up and never buy them. I finally caved in though because if you lust that long over something, you really need to give in eventually.

I urge everyone to try these though, especially if you have a blackberry bush that is currently going wild nearby. I love going blackberry picking, free food! The recipe is available here, simple use 4 cups of blackberries instead of 4 cups of blueberries.

32 comments:

  1. Wow! These look delicious. I love smitten kitchen, I don't know if I'll bother buying recipe books again, I used her scrambled eggs tutorial today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm they look wonderful. I think blackberries work better than blueberries anyway :) and they give it that Autumny feel. Perfect!

    Would go lovely along side a berry tea.

    Love your cups too, I really want some clear ones, they're great for flavoured/colourful teas. x


    kimparslow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard of smitten kitchen! these look so so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I knew you'd be baking! My baking didn't turn out so well over the weekend lol...! Will def have to try these & I love the 2 blogs you linked to - love finding new recipes & great new blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm,they look delish! I've made those before but with cherry jam, yum. I love Smitten Kitchen!

    Those cups are ace, think I might need those too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm!! I'm going blackberrying on Sunday so I'm definitely going to try this out. A few tweaks to make it gluten and dairy free and everyone will be happy.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe :) Is there an equivalent weight for cups or do I literally have to measure out a cupfull? And which size cup? Argh, the complications of using American recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum yum yum!! i don't like fruit but i would eat these for sure!

    oh my oh my those cups are adorable - how much were they? i'm moving to scotland next week so i'll be able to go into all these british chains now! ee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, baking! These look soo good. Maybe I'll get some time for baking this weekend? I have been lusting after specialty breads, for example the braided lemon bread (from smitten kitchen as well!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing. Am going to bake them this weekend, using some of the blackberries sitting in my fridge! Thanks for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm yumm. and yes the teacup is lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum these look amazing. Loving those glass tea cups too, they're dainty and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh|! they look lovely. I'm definitely going to make those. Blueberries freeze really well if you plan to bake with them so I usually buy lots when they are on offer.

    I've not heard of Smitten Kitchen, thank you for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your photos always look so professional! I think you should write your own baking book!

    I'll have to try this! It looks DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh gosh they look so scrummy! And so proffesionally made too! May have to try these sometime, perhaps the next rainy day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm down for anything involving black berries. This summer when I was in BC I picked blackberries and made blackberry crumble with my friend and it was to die for.

    Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look so delicious! And the glass tea cup is so pretty! I think I need one too.

    *Ena*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. That crumbly wonder looks wonderful and crumbly, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum!! there are loads of blackberry bushs growing in the hedge rows of my little country road! ill have to get a picking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You honestly never fail to impress me with your little baked goodies Helen! I dont even feel like I need to taste them to enjoy them haha, they're always aesthetically so perfectly executed. Hope you're having a good week lovely girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy as always! And those cups of tea are a dream, *me want* lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmm, these look so good. what is it about autumn that makes me want to eat some kind of fruit pie?
    (thanks for the link)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmh, looks so good!

    xx
    http://lafilledejoujouelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. dreamy and delicious. i will have to try these out soon. I had a busy day in the kitchen. I made cheese scones, bread and butter pudding and sweet potato rosti. mmmm yum. I love your glass teacups too btw xXx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made Smitten Kitchen's blueberry peach cobbler and it was also really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look delicious... Love the colours. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails