Friday, 13 August 2010

Business time

12th August 2010

Sometimes it can be dressing 'smart' for work. Some of my colleagues don't always dress smart, but more 'smart casual', since our dress code only says no trainers or jeans. However, I really enjoy dressing smart because I am, after all, a qualified professional librarian. Librarian's sometimes have a reputation for dressing drab or not being bothered if their clothes are holey (maybe this has something to do with our low wages!). Anyway, not THIS librarian. The only reputation I am gaining is for having a love of the colour combination red, blue, black & white. One of the assistants always comments on it whenever she sees me and I keep saying I will wear yellow or green one day to surprise her! But I do really love red, blue, black & white. It's simple yet colourful and obviously remember-able.

This first dress is from Next, who are very good for work wear, especially their petite section for shorties like me. I wore this dress to my interview and it obviously makes a good impression! Plus it has pockets!! Pockets on dresses, anyone who has been reading this blog for a while will know, I LOVE! I am always carrying things around with me like details of books to reorder, phone numbers, borrower numbers...anything really.

10th August 2010

This skirt ALSO has pockets! Double whammy! This was a fab sale bargain from Reiss, reduced to £29 from £95. Normally I don't shop in Reiss except to admire the clothes from afar, but I could actually afford this. Unfortunately, I tried it on after a big meal and have also since lost some weight so it's sliiiightly too big for me. Should be more high waisted really.

Aside from wearing cute outfits for work, I do actually DO works. Lots of work. Many people think 'oh Librarians, they just stamp books all day. I probably only stamp a handful of books a day if I'm on the desk but otherwise I spend most of my time working on different projects and doing stock management. I have started a blog to document my professional development which will be useful for when I start to apply for new jobs and apply for chartership. It's good to have a record of everything you do day to day, because otherwise you forget. Anyway, I hope it offers a bit of insight into my job, you can read all about it here at Library Helen.  I will also start updating it with book reviews and things to do with my current eBooks project soon so keep an eye on it! I'll still be blogging here though because it's good to keep work and play separate.

28 comments:

  1. Hello :)

    I love pockets too!! Dresses, skirts, pants - must have pockets so handy to carry things or keep your hands warm :)

    Check out my blog when you have time!

    Kc. :)

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those outfits are very cute! Best of luck with your librarian work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always smile when I see your outfit posts, your colour combinations are so bright and happy! Look forward to reading your 'worl' blog too! Angela xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea having a professional blog. I used to be a library assistant back when I was at 6th form and know how much work you do, some people are quite surprised by it all.

    Love your outfits, they are inspiring me with my clothes for the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea to start another blog for work, sounds like you're really enjoying the new job so far, glad to hear it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have a signature palette of colours! Also am slightly in love with that blue skirt now. I never look in Reiss as automatically assume I can't afford it. May have to give it a look at sale time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often seem to pair red with black & white outfits too, it's such a classic combination. I always love your work outfits, I can't wait until I have a 'proper' job so I have an excuse to dress smartly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you, helen, are definately the most pretty, stylish and lovely libarian i have ever seen :) i'm so glad you are enjoying your job. out of interest, do you want to continue to be one forever or would you like to own a little bookshop/libary in the future?

    love, jazzabelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your work outfits! And I agree, skirts and dresses with pockets are the BEST. It's nice that you've found a color combination that works for you :)

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that blue skirt! The color is incredible. Also, I think it's really cool that you're blogging about your library stuff. That'll be nice to have later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very smart, i especially like the blue reiss skirt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi

    I really love your style.Your blog is fast becoming one of my favourites.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. both outfits are great! i've been looking for something similar to that next dress for work...

    I'll definately be reading your library blog too :)

    Looby xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfits! I looove the blue skirt xx

    Don’t forget to enter my giveaway @ http://thriveonnovelty.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lvoe your work outfits! You manage to balance professional and colourful so well! I think when you're young and new to a job it's easy to not be taken seriously, so dessing 'smart' even if a lot of your colleagues don't is a good way to promote yourself as hard working and dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salut!!!My name is bogdan from Romania!!!
    We can be friends ???
    http://bogdanstelistul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just love the way you dress . . . smart or not!
    The colors you wear suit you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice dress... I also like to wear smart clothes when I go to work, they make me feel important haha

    http://stylecoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute Outfits!!

    I really love a splash of red with black or white too xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all the polaroids on your wall :) and the outfits are fab, smart but super cute! Congrats on becoming an auntie :) my new wee bro has made me very broody haha, but when my dad overheard me saying that to my step mum he went as white as a sheet :p lovely blog you have here miss xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. being a librarian is something i wish i could do! the library near my house isn't hiring, though. your outfits are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute outfits! I love the pop of red you added with that cardigan :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish the librarians at my school dressed half as well as you! I like the tucked in blouse and pops of color. Stylish and bookish at the same time :)

    Your job sounds really interesting and I am definitely checking out your other blog-I'm so curious to learn more about what you do! I'm sure I'm going to be surprised at all the work behind being a librarian.

    Bea from A plus B

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely outfits; I especially love the one with the blue skirt! You are a very chic librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love seeing your workwear, in September I'm going to start teaching a class of first year English undergraduates and this is the kind of look I'll be going for (though with my own colour palette as I don't wear black well). I find that how I dress makes a difference to how I see my job, so jobs where I could dress down (and did, being young and foolish) have seemed less important than jobs where I've gone in dressed up, when that wasn't the case at all.

    Have you heard that old piece of advice, don't dress for the job you have, dress for the job you want? I think it's true, if you look more professional then when the time does come you're more likely to be promoted.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That skirt is so lovely on you! I love all of the colors :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails