Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Shortbread

Hmm I love shortbread. I used to bake it all the time when I worked in a cafe. I have to say, mine was pretty damn good. I couldn't remember the recipe for it though, so after a visit to the Good Food website, I found a vanilla shortbread dough recipe that looked perfect.

Shortbread

I love my shortbread sprinkled with lots of sugar, although some recipes say that they should be sprinkled with rice flour. Or even better, with some strawberries and a scoop of ice cream.

Strawberry Shortbread

Strawberry Shortbread

Vanilla Shortbread
Recipe adapted from here


325g plain flour
200g chilled butter
125g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract


1.  Preheat the oven to gas mark 5. In a food processor whizz together the flour & butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add the eggs, sugar & vanilla and whizz together until it comes together in a dough. 
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1cm thick and cut into circles. Place on a greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes. 
4. When the biscuits are cooked and slightly golden on the edges, remove from the oven. Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle with caster sugar while still hot. 

30 comments:

  1. Oh you're terrible for always making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... these look like they melt in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sooo hungry now! this looks so yummy!! gonna have to go rummage in the cupbards for something to munch on!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really feel like eating something sweet!

    http://stylecoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to give this a go for my friend's birthday on saturday! Looks so good! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious and are added to my list of things to bake to use as snacks for lunch :)

    I definately like mine with lots of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me hungry! Strawberries are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, they look so yummy! And I love the dish!

    *Ena*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love shortbread, too! This looks so yummy!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I'm going to have to try this, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really do hope you open up a tea shop someday because I will definitely visit every day!

    This recipe looks delicious . . . I'll have to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm. i'll definitely have to try this recipe out (:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, I was fine and resisting all temptation until the picture with the strawberry and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm, they look scrumptious! x

    kimparslow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmy, I am very jealous. Curse this summer diet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmmm, I adore shortbread! It looks absolutely delicious with the strawberries and icecream, I would never have thought to try it in a more 'dessert' way rather than as a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm shortbread! Looks so good with vanilla ice cream and strawberries! Ahh...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so tasty, I must try it with ice cream.

    I've been aching to bake some with rose since I bought the GBB book but then I had to make some gluten free shortbread at work (gross to say the least) and it put me right off. You've restored my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've got such amazing baking skills! These look delicious :) There are so many of your recipes I've been wanting to try for a long time, and I'm thinking that I might need to have a go at one one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't had shortbread in so long, this makes me want to make some (which I just might do tonight)

    xx
    MILK TEETHS

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE shortbread, but plain is best :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. How utterly YUM! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so good. I love shortbread.
    thanks for sharing.


    Christy of Dress Rehearsal

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mmm these look delicious, I love shortbread too!
    My mum makes the best shortbread ever, I've tried to replicate it but it's never the same!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh melt in the mouth deliciousness

    ReplyDelete
  26. oohh...you made me hungry, it looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay for food and fashion x your blog is fab too Hun x

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is going to be a silly question but do you use salted or unsalted butter? love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails