Monday, 16 August 2010

Whoopie!


205/365

Apparently whoopie pies are the next cupcakes! I remember seeing them a lot on Tastespotting in the last 2 years so I tried making some for valentine's day. They were loooovely, but for some reason I expected them to be like cookies, not cakey! How misled I was! They are like discs of cake with lovely icing sandwiches inbetween. Whether they are 'the next cupcakes', I dunno... Anyway, I was lured in by this cute book and decided to try the chocolate ones out. My verdict - lovely cake but icing isn't as good as cupcake icing. You were supposed to be able to pipe it on but mine was so thick I could barely spread it on with a palette knife! Maybe I did something wrong... I think they would be nice iced with just some whipped cream though. 


This book is adorable though, I want to try a few more recipes out. There are even savoury whoopie pies! The book is divided into 2 halves, one with the cake recipes and the other half with frosting recipes so you can mix and match. I will share with you the cake recipe but suggest just icing them with some whipped cream. The cake is definitely work trying!

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups plain flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tablespoons butter at room temp. 
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk

Method

1. Preheat oven to gas mark 5. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. 

2. In a stand mixer, beat tgether the butter, shortening and sugar on low until combined. Then increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the egg & vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes. 

3. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining flour and milk and beat until well combined. 

4. Using a spoon, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto a prepared baking sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes, until they are light and spongy and spring back when pressed gently. 

5. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet slightly, then transfer to a cooling rack. When they are cool, ice them with a frosting of your choice or whipped cream. Enjoy!


29 comments:

  1. they look yummy, i'll definitely be following your recipe soon!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look nice I think I shall give them a try next time I bake :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes I live in one park west it's awesome =) I didn't know about the kurt geiger shop in the metquater, but I never really go in there it's way too expensive and too much temptation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're nice but i've only had one from Marks and spencers so not really properly tried them yet, i love macaroons though i really want to try and make some but they look quite tricky!
    Jaymie
    http://jaymieocallaghan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive had this book added to my wish list for ages, it does look amazing!
    Maybe soon I shall summon up the courage to give it a go!

    ciderwithsophie.blogspot.com
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh they look scrummy! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh, your whoopie pie looks delicous. plus snaps with the cath kidston saucer!

    love, jazzabelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look soo great!
    I'll try to cook them though I am no a really good cooker

    http://stylecoffee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look delicious and i love your cath kidston plate!

    i've been wanting to try out whoopie pies for a while, so maybe this will be the recipe i use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I'll have to try that recipe! By the way, don't know for sure if you know some Spanish, but just in case you should have a look at the blog www.mylittlethings.com about baking, it's really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious! I'm thinking about trying to make them! You made me hungry :)
    xoxo
    www.thefashionmoodboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to try to make some whoopies!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spotted that book at the bookstore, the other day, and thought it was so adorable!
    Your whoopie pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum yum. I bought all the ingredients to make these but chickened out and went for brownies instead... must give them a go! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious!
    I remember seeing that book on bakerella and really wanting to try making them, but my oven is broken! :(
    I will definitely give a try when it's fixed though!
    Kyrie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just sent this recipe to my momma with the hopes that tomorrow when I come home from school, they will be waiting for me. Haha! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks simple enough for me. I am definitely trying it out one day. Maybe after I start exercising again...Haha!

    Bea from A plus B

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think i shall be adding that book to my wish list!! Yours look delicious too...could you fill them with cake frosting??

    Looby xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. ohh looks yummy! come follow me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look yummy!

    I bought the book about the same time as you I think and have only tried the chocolate ones but did my own buttercream recipe.

    I did mine in batches and after the first ones being uneven I piped them and they looked much neater:
    http://twitgoo.com/1ikcip

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness these look delicious! And cute too, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. these look sooooo good !! keen to try them !!

    xx

    http://jessica-hannam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried the recipe for your valentines ones and made a flat sheet of overly-moist cake. Ooops. I *did* make them very hurriedly, using a saucepan as a mixing bowl, in my studenty bedroom. Anyway I think I'll leave that particular recipe to you...
    I'm also wondering if just using a normal cake recipe would work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so tasty! They remind me of my favourite ice cream from years ago - A Feastwich. It was ice cream sandwiched between two soft chocolate chip cookies ... mmm!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails