Saturday, 18 September 2010

Frosted chocolate brownies

By the time you read this I will be in Center Parcs! Probably splashing about in the mud in my wellies or curled up reading my book relaxing. Hooray for scheduled posts though. I wanted to share these brownies with you and they just couldn't wait until I got back.


015


These aren't just any old brownies. These are lovely gooey brownies with chunks of dark chocolate and walnut nestled inside them, topped with a delicious cream cheese chocolate frosting. Yes, frosting on a brown! So indulgent. Brownies are rich and delicious enough by themselves but with a frosting on them they become delicious x a million.


017

The recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (my favourite, in case you couldn't tell!) but it was one of the few recipes I hadn't tried yet. I will definitely be making these again, they are so so delicious!

Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 5 eggs
  • 500g caster sugar
  • 120g plain flour
  • 100g cocoa powder
  • 250g unsalted butter, melted
  • 30g shelled walnuts, chopped
  • 30g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
For the frosting:
  • 200g icing sugar, sifted
  • 75g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 30g cocoa powder, sifted
  • 150g cream cheese, cold
  • a 33 x 23 x 5-cm baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper
For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.

Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a handheld electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add the flour and cocoa powder and beat until all the ingredients are well mixed. Pour in the melted butter and mix through. Stir the walnuts and chocolate in by hand until evenly dispersed.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for about 30–35 minutes, or until the top is firm but the centre is still soft. Leave to cool completely.

For the frosting: 
Beat together the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.

Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny.

When the brownie is cold, spread the frosting over the top.

26 comments:

  1. yummy yummy yummy! perfect for an afternoon snack! :)
    hope your enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so so so yummy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!

    hope your having a fanstic time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness this looks DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try out my new Hummingbird book, I'm going to be baking every day! :D

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm!!! So yummy! I LOVE brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum these look soooo good!! :) I've recently posted some pics of some gumpaste flowers I have made for a cake decorating class if you wanna check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hummingbird Bakery book is my favourite too! My only problem is when it comes to the frosting. Icing sugar and a handheld electric whisk results in a huge mess for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. here is so many inspirations!

    have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious!

    What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are always great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look dangerous... in the best possible way! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.my.goodness I think I need to make these! I have never tried brownies with icing but these look soo good.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried this one yet, but you've just inspired me! Have a lovely holiday - made me sick reading that on a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious!

    I just gave you a blog award! :)
    You can check it out here

    ReplyDelete
  14. they look heavenly! Would it affect it much if I took the nuts out? I've tried substituting things in before and failed spectacularly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I'm gonna try this one for sure :) Hope you had lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. these really look just too good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those brownies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. holy yum! bet they go well with vanilla ice cream..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cream cheese chocolate frosting!!!!!!!! NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really enjoying your blog - pretty pictures and sweet recipes are always a winner in my book!

    Sally x
    Louder Than Silence

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yummi!!
    you have made me have a serious craving!! I am off to the kitchen to master this dish!!!
    Come check me out


    thedelightfulexperience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails