Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Apple, cider & sultana cake

This is my second version of this cake. That blogpost was over 2 years ago, gosh! I think my photos have come a long way since then.

018

I decided to make this cake because I had some apples and cider left from when I went apple picking the other week.  I wrapped the apples up in newspaper and put them in my shed and they have kept fine for nearly a month! Bramley apples are my favourite ever apples for baking with. I always sprinkle them with brown sugar and cinnamon before adding them to anything. The cider I used is pressed on the farm that I picked the apples from. So it's a rather locally sourced cake!


025

028

Hmm look at those plump sultanas! This cake involves soaking the sultanas overnight in the cider so that they plump up all nice and fat. The cider doesn't completely soak in so the rest of it is added to the cake to make it all lovely and appley and moist. Hmmm. 

Here is the recipe, you should all try it because it is so easy but so tasty and perfect for autumn. 

Ingredients
225g sultanas
150ml cider 
125g butter, softened
125g soft brown sugar (dark or light really)
2 large eggs, beaten
225g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
2 bramley apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced


Method
1. Put the sultanas in a non-metallic bowl with the cider. Cover and leave overnight.



2. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180c). Grease a 9 inch round cake tin. Put the butter in a bowl with the sugar and whisk with an electric whisk until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs until incorporated.



3. Sift in the flour, mixed spice and baking powder and fold in gently. Add the sultanas and any cider that hasn't been absorbed and mix.


4. Pour into the tin and level with the back of a spoon. Mix the apple slices with some cinnamon and dark sugar and then arrange the apple slices over the top of the batter and bake for about an hour. Leave to cool in the tin slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack before serving. Enjoy! (I like mine with custard nom)

032


26 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! I made a Christmas cake last year which required the raisins to be soaked in ginger wine. Boy was that tasty! I bet cider is just as yummy!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. That looks delicious! Especially with the custard... Think I might just have to give it a go x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! Think I might recreate this at the weekend! x
    http://chocolatexcupcakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum, my next baking mission sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious!! I prepare apple pie but without sultanas...next time be sure I will try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum this looks amazing!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so. good. i'm jealous of your baking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this looks toe curling!I Love the spiral of apples on top, so fancy! It always turns out crooked when I try to do that haha. I am totally going to make this this week. Now to see if I'm a seasoned enough baker to convert it from metric:P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, looks amazing as ever! I adore anything with apple in it to be honest. My work had an 'apple day' at the canteen the other week - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, this dessert looks amazing!

    Emma
    TheSidewalkIsMyRunway

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nom indeed!! I'll definitely be trying this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks absolutely delish! I'd like to try this, but unfortunately we don't get cider in stores here in Manila until around Christmas. SIgh, the slice dripping with custard looks so yummy I wish the TV magic from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was real and I could have Internet Apple, Cider & Sultana Cake. :))

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  14. you always makes me hungry! that cake looks so delicious! I must give it a go (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh that looks divine! thanks for sharing i'll put it on my to-bake list (: xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm. This is the perfect autumnal cake. I could just eat some now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm... Cider. Interesting. Don't normally like apple cakes but kind of tempted to give this a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This put me in such an autumn mood :) Looks absolutely delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delicious! Beautiful photos as well! I'm definitely gonna try to make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm I am drooling! hehe. Looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm!!! It looks delicious!!! I love the apple's pies!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails