Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Lunch time

Lunch

Lately I've been trying to come up some more interesting lunch ideas, as I was getting a bit bored of the homemade soup & a roll rut I had got stuck in before Christmas. I mean, soup is nice and warming but when you make a batch of a soup that goes slightly wrong but still have to eat it all week, it isn't too good. For example, I made some carrot & lentil soup from a BBC Good Food recipe but it included NO onions or garlic at all! I thought this was pretty weird but followed it anyway. It was horrible! Just tasted like what I imagine baby purée tastes like. I still had to eat it all week in work though. 

I am a follower of Laura's fab blog, Keeping Slim & Getting Stylish, and she always posts great ideas for lunches. I saw her post of nori wraps and was inspired instantly! I tried some on the first day with humus, prawns and a variety of vegetables. Then I tried them with homemade peanut butter humus from Nigella's Kitchen cookbook, tuna and various vegetables which is what is photographed above. On Saturday I had ran out of tuna & prawns but still wanted some kind of protein in the wraps otherwise they wouldn't be filling at all, so I whipped up a 'tamagoyaki' which is basically a folded omelette, to use as my main filling. My wraps are slightly inspired by Japanese cooking, but obviously a westernised version. 

I've been reading up about Japanese cookery and have been quite inspired by it. I want to try making some sushi rice (sushi is NOT raw fish, but the rice that they use! I don't think I would ever eat raw fish bought from a fish mongers in England. It has to be really really fresh) to add to my rolls too for a bit of carbohydrate. I love the Japanese bento boxes. The idea behind them is a healthy balanced lunch that also is cheap. They often use leftovers or whatever odds & ends of vegetables are hanging around in the fridge. I've been reading 'Just Bento' for some inspiration. 

Mixed-noodle pasta with pepper confit and wiener flowers





It all looks so much more tasty & healthy than a boring sandwich doesn't it?! 


31 comments:

  1. i've been into sushi lately too :p just to "cleanse" my stomach with all the other food i eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sushi.. I like it, but sometimes I've this enough! Anyway... looks nice :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must stop reading food posts mid-morning. Gah, I'm starving now!!

    I've never tried sushi because I'm not a fish fan and I always assumed it was fishy (silly me) but those bento boxes look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wraps look delicious! I'm stuck in a bit of a rut too, with sandwiches & snacks. I did start making noodles and things to take, but sometimes I don't have time if I'm in a rush. Plus, it can be a waste if I've made a delicious lunch & then don't even get time to eat it. Grr, work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make sushi fairly regularly, but I can never get the nori wraps to look pretty like yours! Still tasty though!

    I'm still making soup for lunch. when it gets warmer, I'll make more slads and humous dip things again. and now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. why isn't it lunchtime yet?! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was as hand for cooking as you!

    All these pictures made me hungry and its only 11am!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out! So glad you've been enjoying the nori wraps, I think I'll be back on them again next week! I love japanese inspired cooking and ingredients - sweet white miso is my favorite at the moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love looking at people's Bento creations! It's easy to get stuck in a rut with food isn't it?! Those wraps look real good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love eating leftover chinese for lunch - sooo good. I used to have curry and rice sometimes, but it can be a bit spicy.
    I made a really nice salad the other day with chickpeas, tomato, basil, potato and fresh mushrooms - so delicious! And would prob keep better in the fridge without the lettuce... Oh, and red wine vinegar too haha.

    But are your bento boxes this cute?
    linky: http://www.amazon.com/Yum-Yum-Bento-Box-Recipes-Adorable/dp/1594744475/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295352445&sr=1-1

    p.s. I make sushi all the time, so delicious. And no... I would eat raw fish anywhere outside japan... generally. I have had it, and it just tastes flavourless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like sushi, and those wraps seem like a good way of doing something sushi like without having to deal with the fish! And I think I may have to try that peanut butter humous now you've mentioned it, it sounds amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm absolutely obsessed with Japanese and Asian flavours at the moment and those nori rolls look lovely. Ive always wanted to have a go at making sushi but i doubt ill ever get round to it, so nori rolls might be the perfect stepping stone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh they look yummi I too am bored and fed up of the same old same old dull dry sandwiches for work every day.

    sushi is becoming a weakness of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, great post! I've been trying to make my lunch every day at the moment but I'm really getting stuck for good, tasty ideas that don't take too long to make!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have so much respect for you if you're willing to prepare anything like this for a lunch! my sister moved out last year, but my mum always cooks for 4 and i take leftovers the next day :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha Ha! How funny, I really like the carrot and lentil soup from the bbc website! It's good to be adventurous with new lunch ideas though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i absolutely love japanese cooking, please post some pictures if you make a bento box! i find if you want fish for sashimi, then it's useful to tell the fishmonger that's what you want, they normally go in the back and get you the fresher stuff ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. I honestly think if I could only eat one food for all time it would be sushi. I love the special sushi packed lunch boxes you can get in China town!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how arty bento boxes can be, the blog http://notabrownbag.wordpress.com/ has some gorgeous lunches on there. Too pretty to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just got back from a trip to Japan and the food was astounding. Even the cheap little "fast food" outlets had wonderful noodles and miso soup! And every time we were at the train station we would pick up a bento box for lunch for a quick and cheap meal - but they were practically works of art. I love the Japanese respect for food, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to Japan in March and the food is the one area I'm lacking education in. I need to pick up the book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm those nori wraps look delicious, must try those out myself! Ross and I made sushi one Valentine's day and it went so wrong we had to order out - think we overcooked the rice thus ending up with a rice pudding like consistency - not good as I'm sure you can imagine! Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  23. sushi <3 yummmiieee!!!

    xx.

    http://www.whoop-itup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can be the same, I get fed up with soup too. But these are inspiring ideas. Healthy too :) I love sushi, I should def eat that more for lunch xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I quite want a bento box, i have been looking at them in Paperchase for ages, but they are quite expensive when you could just use tupperware, so cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely!! I HATE sandwitches, as well as cereal for breakfast, so I'm the hardest person to please for these 'easy meals'.. I always have to be coming up with somehting new for the food to keep it healthy but also fun, because when I get bored, I just eat chocolate. ugh. SO , thanks for the tip for an awesome lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummyyyy! I love sushi so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. First blog I've came across that has physically made my mouth water & made me feel immensely hungry ha x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally agree with the fish from fishmongers. It has to be sushi grade- we buy our salmon straight from the wholesale market (as my parents frequent it a lot) so we get pretty decent salmon sashimi at times!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails