Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Tarta de Santiago

My Nana has been asking me for a while to bake this cake. First, she saw a recipe for it in one of her Spanish magazines so she gave it to me. However, the directions were really vague like 'one glass of water' and didn't tell you what size cake tin to use! So I was scared. Then my Nana & Grandad got me the 1080 recipe book by Simone Ortega that is famous throughout Spain and I noticed there was a recipe in it for the Tarta de Santiago!

1080 recipes

The cake itself originates from the Galicia region of Spain in the North. Although the name of it is 'tarta', it is not a pie or tart! It's called this because 'torta' is Galician for cake. The cake is the cake of St. James and usually a cross is stencilled on top of the cake with icing sugar. The cake contains lots of ground almonds which give it a slight nutty taste and dense texture and some lemon rind too which gives it a summery taste.

tarta de santiago

The recipe itself made a HUGE amount! It included 8 eggs, 500g almonds and 400g plain flour. However, once I made the mix up I realised it was way too much and it made 2 8-inch cakes. The recipe said it served 4-6 people so they must be a pretty greedy 4-6 people if they could eat two 8-inch cakes! Anyhow, next time I will halve the recipe and this is the recipe I've included below:

Ingredients
125g butter
4 eggs
250g caster sugar
200g plain flour
125ml water
250g ground almonds
Zest of one lemon

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180c and grease an 8-inch cake tin. 
2. Mix together the caster sugar & eggs until pale and fluffy. 
3. Add in the butter (at room temperature), water and flour and mix until the mixture is all incorporated. 
4. Finally add the ground almonds and zest and mix together. 
5. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for approx 40-50 mins or until the top is just turning golden and a skewer comes out clean. 
6. Leave cake to cool and then dust with icing sugar. 


19 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm going to have to make one of these! My flatmate and I went to Santiago de Compostela for a weekend when I lived in Spain and we ate so much of this cake. Possibly the best weekend of my life ;)

    ¡Muchas gracias por la receta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book and the Greek one - they're just fantastic!!
    I just love Spanish food <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. This looks delicious. Might have to make this at some point soon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m a Spanish girl and also Galician and you´ve made a wonderful cake!
    I´m sure it will taste fantastic!

    Luzía xoxo
    http://cositasbonitasparaseoritas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum yum! some years ago my dad went to santiago de compostela and brought home two of these, i would like some now.
    must try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. heheeheh I am also from Galicia ( the place where the cake cames from) it is very difficult to cook it but your looks amazing and the book it so nice I use to cook with it and there is a funny thing on it because one receipe of fish included by mistake to use a whole chocolate bar and during too many years this wrong receipe continued like this....:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that sounds yum and looks great! :)

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, this sounds amazing! Now I have a new recipe to try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks like a seriously nice book!!

    Would absolutely love you to enter my GIVEAWAY:

    http://thoroughlymodernmilly5.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-be-my-february-girl.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Om nom nom - looks like a tasty cake, and a great recipe book. I have a habit of ticking recipes I've made and annotating them - I like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister has that book, but I don't think she's made that cake. I may have to though! It sounds really lovely with the lemon and the almonds. Will make me think of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it sounds utterly divine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks lush. I'm always happy to find a new cake recipe, so thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh it looks delicious! I'd totally manage two eight inch cakes, just let me at it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good lord that looks soooo good! Gotta love Spain and all it has to offer (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, I'm really inspired to bake something delicious now! This looks amazing, I'm craving lemon cake now. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, this looks so yummy! I really need to bake more, this books look great!
    Love the blog dear xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. this made me laugh! it looks delicious though! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails