Sunday, 13 February 2011

Moroccan meatballs

This is one of my favourite midweek meals. Lamb meatballs with a spicy Moroccan kick, yum! The original recipe comes from the BBC Good Food website, which is such an ace resource for the midweek munchies. Here are step by step instruction for how to make them:

Ingredients

500g minced lamb
1 red onion, grated or finely sliced in a food processor
2 cloves garlic
Chunk of root ginger
2tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of chilli flakes
Olive oil
200ml chicken stock
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
Handful of coriander, chopped

200g cous cous
50g butter
330ml chicken stock
Handful each of chopped coriander & parsley

1. First, mix together the meat, half the onion, half the garlic and half the spices. (I just chuck everything in the food processor until it comes together in one big lump, if not knead it with your (clean!) hands a lot). Form them into smallish meatballs (should get about 30).

2. Heat some oil up in a large frying pan and brown the meatballs off. Remove from the pan once browned.

meatballs

meatballs

3. Fry off the remaining onion, garlic & spices until the onions have sweated and the spices are releasing their aroma. Should start to smell really yummy now! 

meatballs

4. Add the 2 tins of tomatoes and chicken stock to the frying pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. 

meatballs

meatballs

5. Add the meatballs back into the frying pan and simmer for 20 minutes, so that the sauce thickens and the meatballs cook thoroughly. 

6. Now, start on the cous cous. Put the cous cous and butter in a bowl then pour over the hot chicken stock, stir slightly and cover with cling film. The cling film keeps all of the heat & steam in the bowl which will cook the cous cous. Leave for 10 minutes.

meatballs

7. Chop the herbs and add a handful of coriander to the meatballs and a handful of coriander and parsley to the cous cous. Fluff the cous cous up with a fork. Serve!

meatballs

meatballs

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, my. That looks just too delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to get to the grocery store soon and try this out. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so tasty. Actually salivating here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try it!
    Hayley
    http://strangeness-charm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant stomach lamb, but might give these a try with another meat, they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! I am printing it out and giving it a go soon!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum. They look fantastic! BBC Good Food is SO good for all kinds of recipes — If I ever want to make anything they're my first stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum I live moroccan spiced food! :) those look so good! Love the step by step :)

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious!! I may just cook this for friends on Tuesday night:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got real hungry reading this post! Never a good thing at half eleven at night! Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy! I love GoodFood sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum - will definitely be trying this out Helen! Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so good, I love meatballs :) ive not tried them with Moroccan spice before so I'll give them a go sometime xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm sounds lovely! I'm always looking for new meal ideas! BBC goodfood is a really good source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought vegetarian meatballs today! Will be trying this x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is delicious, I used to make it a lot before I became a vegetarian.
    Maybe I'll try it with vegetarian meatballs?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so tasty! Moroccan food is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUM! That looks gorgeous, might have to make it! I was taking photos of how to cook my favourite dinner the other day, great minds I guess! (Mine is less impressive than yours though!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely bookmarking this! May change to beef though, dya reckon it'd make a difference?

    :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails