Monday, 7 March 2011

Gluten free brownies

Last week I made some gluten free brownies and they were very yummy! I haven't really experimented with much gluten free baking because I haven't had the need to, but a colleague of mine is gluten intolerant so I sometimes feel bad taking in all my baked goods that she cannot eat. So, I decided to try substituting plain flour with rice flour in the hummingbird bakery brownies to see how it goes. And, it actually went rather well! 


 Gluten free brownies


Ingredients

200g dark chocolate, chopped
175g butter
325g caster sugar
130g rice flour or plain flour
3 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 170c, Gas Mark 3. Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir occassionally until thoroughly melted.



Gluten free brownies
Hmm delicious melted butter & chocolate mix!

2. Remove from the heat. Pour into a larger bowl with the sugar in, and beat together. Add the sifted flour in and stir together. 


Gluten free brownies
This is what the rice flour looks like, I bought it from Tesco in the world food section. 


3. Finally, beat in the eggs until thick and smooth. (I added in 100g white chocolate chopped up at this stage, you can add nuts as well if you like or keep them completely plain)


Gluten free brownies


4. Pour into a greased and lined baking tray (33cmx23cm preferably, if you have a smaller one just adjust the cooking time and you'll end up with a thicker brownie). 


Gluten free brownies


5. Bake for about 30-40 minutes (this depends on the size of the tray you're using like I said, just play it by ear). They should be flaky ontop but still soft in the centre. Leave to cool totally before attempting to turn them out, otherwise they will crack and fall apart! 



Gluten free brownies

27 comments:

  1. Oh my, those look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look sooooo nice *drool*

    Must have a go of making them!!

    http://whimsicallyrandom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaww these look so delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe out! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the same predicament! one of my co-workers is allergic to gluten and i'm always bringing in flour-filled treats. i'm going to try this recipe soon! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Droooooooooooooooooooool

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummm, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious. I need to make them for a friend!! <3

    Tara

    www.thestylerawr.com

    XoX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh they look amazing <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look scrummy! This is so not fair when I am trying to be good!

    No where did I hide that chocolate!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am actually drooling. Not attractive at all, but those brownies look SO good...I love brownies:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. they look gorgeous! I have some of that brown rice flour too, might have to give the recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is interesting, i bake for work and I might try branching out into gluten free stuff. mmmm x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! A girl at my work was gluten AND dairy intolerant. I never had any idea what to bake for her and always felt terrible bringing in my treats!
    Did the rice flour alter the taste and texture much?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nom! Don't they look lovely! We sell both regular & gluten-free brownies at work & I find I prefer the taste of the GF ones, really!

    ReplyDelete
  15. man im hungry now! i must get baking more often you put me to shame my dear!! lol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you've seen it :) And those brownies look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! They look delish. How thoughtful of you to make gluten free ones for your workmate :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yumm! I know a few people who are gluten intolerant. I will have to share <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious! My brother follows a wheat & dairy free diet so I've had to learn to bake free from treats.

    Do you have Harry Eastwood's Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache? It's a bit twee but the recipe work wonderfully. Courgette and chocolate cake is one of my favourites, you can't taste the courgette at all!

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look yum...and relatively simple to make? x

    ReplyDelete
  21. *gluten and dairy free baker here!*

    Honestly, most recipes are dead easily adapted. I use mostly Dove's Farm g/free flour and the only thing to bear in mind is that it absorbs more moisture, so you may need more liquid than the recipe calls for. The odd thing just doesn't work due to structure but most recipes are fine. As for d/free - just use Vitalite - it tastes perfect.

    I've made quite a few of the recipes you've posted on here and tweaked them to suit all the allergies in my house and they've been fab :) Looking forward to trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhh! I was looking for rice flour for a shortbread recipe but couldn't find it anywhere - good to know Tesco have it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oooh these look amazing. I have the recipe for this on some Hummingbird Bakery gift cards I bought recently so I will have to give it a go :)
    You're so thoughtful, I might make a vegan flapjacks for work soon, you have inspired me! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. now I'm hungry, lovely blog!

    ~ x♥x♥ :)
    ~ x♥x♥ :)
    ~ x♥x♥ :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails