Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Keep on running

So, I have mentioned in passing about my running and have had a few questions about how it's all going so I thought I ought to do a wee post about it.

I bought my first pair of running shoes about 3 years ago now. I could run about 1 mile but then gave up and went back to swimming because that's what I was good at. (I was quite a good swimmer when I was younger, swam in galas for my school and had quite a few badges). I got bored of running and always just said 'I'm a swimmer, not a runner!'. But why couldn't I be both?

Scott always enjoyed running and has ran in 2 half marathons. When he and his brother were thinking about signing up for the Manchester great north run 10k I thought, why not! The goal will motivate me. And it really has! I think I am the kind of person who always needs a deadline to motivate me otherwise I lose track easily. I also like setting myself targets so this run seemed like a good way to ease myself into running.

pre-run
(Completely unflattering photo of me in my running gear... 
I have nike trainers, karimor runnings leggings and an asics t-shirt. Basically Sports Direct's best bargain finds for running)

And so, on the 15th May 2011 I shall be running 10k through the streets of Manchester. At the moment my training is going rather well! I have good runs and I have bad runs, but I think everyone does. Today I ran 6km in 35 minutes and I am really hoping that I can get my 10km in under 1 hour. I started just by running/jogging a short route around the block and getting faster and faster at that. Then when I felt more comfortable I extended the route. I think this is the way to go about building up to further distances.

All running clothes are ugly. It is impossible to look stylish when running but I don't care. I am not one of those girls you see at the gym with loads of make up on and barely break into a sweat. To get to run 10k I need to push my body to it's boundaries!

I'm a novice runner and don't claim to be an expert but here are some tips for people who may want to begin:

  • Buy a sports bra and decent running shoes! I see so many girls in the gym wearing strappy tops and strappy bras with their boobs on show jiggling about and I think 'yeah, that might look nice to all the men now but in 30 years time when your boobs are down to your knees you'll regret it!'. Also a surprising number of people think it's okay to run in converse? That will do so much damage to your knees and feet if you start to run long distances in them!
  • Do a bit of research. I got lots of books out of the library, read blogs and bought magazines. It's definitely helped me understand how I can reach my target of 10k and how not to try to push myself. 
  • Remember everyone was a beginner once! You might think 'oh I don't wanna go for a run, other runners might see me and laugh'. I do still feel a slight bit embarrassed/competitive when I see another runner on my runs, but they were all beginners once so understand what it's like. Plus, humans were practically made to run so they're not gonna tell you you're doing it wrong!
  • Don't go for a run with your fitter other half. Haha! I went for a run once with Scott and by the 2nd kilometre I had such a bad stitch and felt fit to die because I had pushed myself a bit too far! He was running behind me so I felt that I had to run faster than usual. He had reassured me that I didn't have to and he would overtake if he wanted to go faster but it still felt weird. I like running because it's something I get to do alone and at my own pace. It's me time. Some people like running with others, I guess it's all personal choice. 
And finally, here are some lovely bloggers who keep inspiring me to run!

Kate from Earth Vs. 
Muirrean from Bangs and a bun (She also has a really good post dispelling the many excuses we use to not run here)
Laura from Keeping Healthy
Becky from BeckyBlog

And also a honourable mention goes to my dear friend Emma, who doesn't have a blog but I know she sometimes reads this. She has ran in numerous half marathons and has just entered herself for the Liverpool marathon in October! What a girl. To think back to those days in high school PE where we were always the lazy ones at the back of the class...

Do any of you run? If you're thinking about it, definitely read some of the blogs above and hopefully be inspired. 

33 comments:

  1. Running is just not something that appeals to me. I swim or play on the Wii for my exercise - I can guarantee you won't ever find me out for a jog!

    ps - I am a member of the library - couldn't do without the place! It just doesn't stock a lot of the stuff I like to read and I prefer to own copies of books I love, hence me spending so flipping much on books and imposing the ban!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was as motivated as you! I went for a run before my holiday last year, someone laughed and made a train noise so I never did it again. Oh the shame!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out and congrats on entering the race! Running clothing isn't the most stylish of gear but you look fab in what your wearing. I think Sweaty Betty probably have the most stylish stuff available but it costs a bomb, and lets face it when your running your little heart out you don't care that much if you look a state, well at least I don't! Well done for your great progression!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you, it sounds like you are getting on really well!! I did the relay part of the Belfast Marathon (which was 6 miles) about 5 years ago... I actually really enjoyed it but haven't ran since :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run! I did a similar thing to you and entered a 10k last year to sort of force myself into it and this year I'll be running my first half marathon! It's so much more fun than I thought it would be :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My housemate runs but I'm too shy to, esp. in a city, its annoying have to dive out of the way of pedestrians . But i guess its cheaper and more beneficial than a gym membership! go you! i'd be so proud if i was you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 10k seems so far! I wish I could run but I am not motivated enough.
    Good luck with your run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i started running in september and nowrun about 5 km 3 times a week.
    i used this: <a href="http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html</a> podcast to train my body to running more than one minute :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate running, I'm not going to lie my motto is 'only run if you're being chased' but I do love aerobics and going on the cross trainer.

    Do you have a sports bra reccomendation? Mine is the WORST ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this! I always *want* to be a runner but can never be motivated enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post- I managed to get a place on the Great North Run this year and have never run before at all. A man I work with is one of those mental people who run the coast to coast though and he's taken me under his wing with a training regime. I've entered into the Race for Life 5k in May too as a smaller target to aim for, just so I don't get to September having not done any training at all!

    Going to check out those blogs you mention - I need all the inspiration I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just can't run or jog. I bike to work every day so it's not that I hate exercising, running just leaves me gasping for breath before I'm even halfway down the street. It really doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'm thinking of joining a gym again, but definitely no treadmill for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen you are making me feel guilty as I have not been running in ages, haha! Well done for properly starting!

    Will definitely check out those blogs - been wanting some fitness/health blogs to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to run, a couple of years ago. I had to give up but have not long ago got the okay to start again..I just need to get my confidence back and go for itn ow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post - I am totally inspired by reading about bloggers who run, but I am still not very good at sticking to it... my current excuse is 'when the weather gets better...'

    ReplyDelete
  16. 6 km in 35 minutes is really really good! Well done on doing so well. I started running recently as you know and I just love it - I used to hate exercise but beating goals is so much fun and I get a 'runner's high' which lasts all day. This was a really interesting post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done on the running. I am trying to run as part of my three peaks training. We are lucky enough to have a treadmill so I never have to worry about people see in me. good job as I look like a demented elephant when I run!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such an inspiration helen, this is fantastic account of your experiences! I know you'll do fantastically xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am impressed with your motivation! I've always thought about running but I've never managed it. I'd quite like to do couch to 10k though. I have a dodgy hip though so high impact stuff isn't the best. I still want to try though! Good luck in May, I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't sometimes read this, I ALWAYS read this! And you just made my day! I don't think anyone's ever said "what a girl" when describing me before. :D
    We should write to Miss Falding and tell her about our newfound hobby, probably give her a heart attack!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man, I'm the laziest person ever so there is no way I could go running but I do enjoy taking my dog for a walk and managed to waddle my way through a 10k powerwalk in the summer.
    I'm so impressed with your motivation!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanjs for this post. I always have had the same feeling as you. Running is not to me.....I went o the gym but not running just spinning. :S but maybe I should get sad...just try to focus and go slowly improving my wya to do it.....

    and puma and nike have some nice running clothes!!! beliave me !!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm definitely one of those "I'm a swimmer, not a runner" types! I can swim for quite a bit but when it comes to running, I'm basically useless. Hopefully one day I'll be able to muster up the motivation to do it like you. Good luck with that run!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you completely about running clothes being ugly, but it's important to have the right shoes, bra, regardless. I also can't run with my boyfriend. He used to be a long-distance runner and ran something like 8 marathons (finishing in around 3 hours). I have absolutely NO desire to run marathons and will never be that ambitious. I just want to be fit and healthy, so it's better if I go at my own pace. I have slacked off a bit this winter though, I need to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I seriously don't know how people can exercise without a good sports bra, I 'treated' myself to one at christmas and its seriously amazing!

    Good luck with your 10k, is it a sponsored thing or just a run?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Helen, I'm a swimmer :P I know you can be both, but I can't. My heart belongs to swimming, and hates running :P haha, but I never knew there were people who liked both... weeeird :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow good luck with the running! I have never gone on a run in my life...I'm still yet to find a way of keeping fit that is right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so chuffed that I got a little running-shaped mention. Similarly, you inspire me to get faster! I really want to write more about running so it's quite relieving to see that there's possibly girls out there who'd like to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I started to run in september but I gave up.. I'm too lazy... :X I wish I was as motivated as you!
    Good luck :D

    p.s. you look really nice on your running gear :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I find that running with other people can be really off putting if you don't like running at the same speeds. I used to run with a friend who would jog SO slowly (like, almost walking speed) whereas I like to go at quite a brisk pace, and like short sprints too. Running alone is the way to go if you want to get any work done!
    Do you have any good sports bra recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I used to run in the early morning when I was at University - I wasn't particularly good or fast but I enjoyed it, as you said it was nice me time :) I haven't done it since leaving University but I have been contemplating starting up again - it's just trying to get the courage to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why exactly is it so bad to run in converse? The best running shoes EVER are Vibrams which offer pretty much no support, only protection, promoting *your own* muscles and ligaments to do the work, as nature intended. Call me a Physio nazi, I'm just intrigued. Though I guess if they're hi-top converse then movement is a bit restricted? I dunno!!

    I definitely agree about not running with your fitter other half - worst mistake i ever made haha

    New follower, recognise you from the high street on LJ - HELLO!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails