Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Leaf tea shop & bar

DSC00888

DSC00889

DSC00887


DSC00892

I mentioned the other day that I visited Leaf for the first time at the weekend. Leaf is a tea shop and bar that has been established in Liverpool for a long time now but this was my first visit as since the move to Bold Street, it is easier to get to. (I know, it wasn't that far away, but it was out of my normal way so I never went although was sorely tempted by their pudding club lots of times.)

I always saw Leaf as a rival to Brew Tea bar, but since going I see that although their business model is the same (homegrown business, focusing on tea rather than coffee, using loose leaf tea) they are both very different and cater for different needs! Leaf is the kind of place I would go if I wanted a relaxing meal and a wide variety of dishes with a cuppa on the side, but Brew is the place that I would go for a proper good cup of tea (or smootea or steamer or earl grey latte) with maybe a slice of cake on the side. Brew is closer to the coffee shop model whilst Leaf is more of an up market cafe.

We went to Leaf on a Saturday lunch time so it was very busy but we managed to nab a seat downstairs. We ordered the english breakfast, homemade hummus, lady grey tea and assam breakfast tea. Scott is a bit of a tea connoisseur and wasn't that impressed with the tea blends. Most of them were just fruity teas and there wasn't much scope in the range of black or green loose leaf teas. Still, my cuppa lady grey was very nice. The hummus I had was amazing! I got SO much of it, I couldn't eat it all. It was flavoured with lemon & coriander too and tasted really fresh. I prefer homemade hummus over shop bought so loved this. Scott's English breakfast didn't look like anything too special really but he enjoyed it. The service wasn't amazing and we overheard the couple next to us moan that the service is always slow at the weekend and that they'd been told they'd have a half an hour wait for just some sandwiches!

I think I will go back to Leaf for a nice lunch but if I want a really nice cup of tea, I will always go to Brew. They have vintage fashion fairs at Leaf too and lots of other events and it's a really nice venue for it. You can see some more photos of the new Leaf on Bold Street here.

23 comments:

  1. I'd not heard of either Brew or Leaf but after reading this post I shall be paying Brew Tea Bar a visit sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always seem to find such lovely plaves to eat! The food always looks delish!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had particularly great customer service when I've been either. My picky sister-in-law-to-be did say that it was the best hot chocolate she'd ever had though.

    You should definitely try Bold St Coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this looks like my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a place like that, especially if they serve up giant plates of hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this definitely looks like my kinda place. even though i don't like tea. haha you sold me on the food though, mm! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. om nom nom! this place is adorable :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This definitely looks like the kind of place I would visit if I came to Liverpool - its a shame service is slow though, kind of puts a dampener on things :(

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks cute and cozy. I like those lamps. I love tea, but am no connoisseur, so I'd probably like either place:) And I guess service can be slow anywhere at lunchtime on a Saturday if it's busy; it can definitely be annoying when you're starving though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh it looks lovely! there is a great place in Cardiff called Waterloo Gardens Teahouse and they have a great selection of tea, they are the only stockists in the Uk of some varieties. The do a lovely afternoon tea for £11.50 too xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow these places sound amazing! I love the homey aspect and Brew sounds like perfection! Too bad about the slow service though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been to Liverpool for what feels like ages! Which shop has Leaf taken over?

    ReplyDelete
  13. LEAF on Bold Street17 March 2011 12:53

    Thanks for the review Helen :) We're sorry to hear the service was slow on Saturday, it's crazy how busy it gets! As of this Saturday we are opening up the bars on both floors to serve our lovely customers quicker.

    Love LEAF x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to Leaf but I LOVE Brew. Vanilla green tea latte. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. New to your blog, and love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The food looks good. It's a shame that the service leaves a lot to be desired!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was blown away by the decoration of the tea bar and the food, it looks so tasty! Also the text in that tote bag is great haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like Leaf, they have ace vintage fairs there once a month too. Their granola is ace! And the veggie breakfast is pretty tasty too. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that tote bag, though I don't think it's true. Tea is so much more than an indoor picnic!

    I'm hoping to make it to Liverpool at some point this year so I'll remember to pop into Brew (is that what a review of Leaf is supposed to make me want to do? It just sounds more up my street!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This place looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been to Brew before and really loved it Helen! I will definitely check out Leaf next time I'm in Liverpool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brew Tea Co.21 June 2011 18:10

    Hi Guys - thanks for all your lovely comments about Brew! Really great news that the blog spotted that Leaf and Brew are indeed very different.

    Keep p the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails