Sunday, 13 March 2011

Sweet potato pancakes

sweet potato pancakes


sweet potato pancakes


sweet potato pancakes

For Shrove Tuesday I had these sweet potato pancakes for breakfast. They were so yummy! They used mashed sweet potato to give them most of their body so you can almost convince yourself they're one of your five a day. They are flavoured with my favourite spices, ginger & nutmeg (although I added my ultimate favourite, cinnamon, to them too). I suppose they are almost pumpkin pie flavoured pancakes. The recipe is courtesy of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall in The Guardian.

180g plain flour 
3 tsp baking powder 
½ tsp grated nutmeg 
½ tsp ground ginger 
¼ tsp salt 
300g cooked sweet potato, mashed 
2 eggs, lightly beaten 
60g butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus a little more for frying
Butter, honey and toasted walnuts (optional; bake a handful or two of shelled nuts at 180C/350F/gas mark 4 for six to eight minutes), for serving
Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger and salt into a bowl. Beat together the sweet potato, eggs and butter in a separate bowl, then fold in the flour mixture, stirring just until combined – the batter will be quite stiff. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat and add a small knob of butter. Rub off any excess with a wad of kitchen paper. Drop the mixture into the pan in large tablespoonfuls, pressing them down gently with the back of the spoon to form a nice round. Fry for about four minutes a side, until browned on both sides. Serve spread with butter, trickled with honey and with the toasted walnuts scattered on top, if you're using them.

23 comments:

  1. I believe cinnamon should be added to everything :)

    These look fab, definitely count as one of your 5 a day :p

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I read about these in The Guardian and thought they looked yum! Corr, jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum! I wish I'd seen these before... We wanted a savoury-ish pancake idea. Bookmarked and Will be trying these very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looks absolutely amazing - I've bookmarked this to try next time I'm back in my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pancakes! Looks delicious, I'm going to try :D

    xxx
    Rita
    http://valium-and-cherrywine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look absolutely fantastic, I'm definitely going to have to give them a go! I've become such a sweet potato fanatic over the past year. Thanks for sharing the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look so yum! i need to try this recipe out x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forsee these in my breakfast future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm they look delicious <3
    I still haven't had my pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh these look amazing Helen! I love sweet potato, so I can only imagine how good these would taste! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm I love sweet potato! Not sure how I feel about it in a pancake but I love ginger and cinnamon too so surely must be a good combo! Will definitely have to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious, I wonder if they would work as a side dish?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these look delicious, I'll have to try and veganise them. Sweet ptato is one of my faves! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. sweet potato pancakes sound like the most amazing thing ever


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love sweet potato, but I never thought to use them in pancakes! This looks like a great recipe, very simple yet oh so delicious :) and I agree with Katie- cinnamon definitely should be added to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gosh this looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks amazing !!! Mine would never look that good if I made it :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. how inventive. will have to try these out, im a massive fan of sweet potatoes.

    Helen, X
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never seen these before, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my god these look amazing! I love sweet potatoes so I'm definitely going to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! These look so delicious. I don't think I've ever had sweet potato pancakes, and now I really want to try them:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow they look absolutely delicious. I'm going to have to give these a try, bookmarking this one for sure!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog the other day. Actually the coffee crumb cake is only named so because it goes so well and is traditionally served along with coffee, so it actually doesn't have a coffee flavour.

    However, it does have cinnamon in, which is always good and I see it's your favourite too! I'm going to make some when I get home from holiday soon and I'll post up a recipe!

    Hollie

    lipstick and balloons

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails