Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Teacup, Manchester

teacup

teacup


On Sunday myself & Scott hopped on the train to Manchester to pick up my engagement ring and to get a bite to eat for lunch. We don't often go into Manchester and I wanted to try somewhere different to the usual chains we would frequent when there so I tweeted for some recommendations. One of the recommendations was Teacup & Cakes and the name instantly intrigued me. I searched for their website and found it was a lovely cafe owned by Mr Scruff in the Northern Quarter. They serve loose leaf teas and homemade cakes which was instantly a win for both of us.

teacup

teacup

For lunch I had the haloumi salad and Scott had the sandwich & soup combo. I loved the teapots too. They brought us a teapot each packed with leaves, a timer for each of our teas and an empty teapot for us to pour the brewed tea into it. This was a genius idea as the amount of times I've had overbrewed, bitter tea is countless!The haloumi salad was lovely - I love haloumi and the way it squeaks against your teeth. There was a sweet chilli sauce to go with it too which was a combo I've never had before but really enjoyed. Scott had pea & mint soup which he enjoyed but I tried a bit and felt it needed more seasoning and oomph.

teacup

teacup

teacup

All through our meal the cakes were staring right back at me from the counter! They looked amazing! Scott had the obligatory scone and it was delicious (I managed to wangle myself a bite or two of it too). What is it about clotted cream, jam & scone that makes it so tasty & quintessentially English? I love clotted cream. I had the miniature victoria sponge which was enjoyable but slightly dense for me. Victoria sponges need to be light as a feather I always think. Still, it was an enjoyable cake. Aren't they plates pretty too? They're Burleigh pottery (the last working Victorian pottery in England!) and Scott is now on the lookout for some to add to our every growing tea set & crockery collection.

Scott is always anti-Manchester and pro-Liverpool but I think that teacup may have just won him over and it might make me able to drag him to Manchester a bit more often with the promise of tea & cake there.

teacup & cakes
55 Thomas Street
Manchester
M4 1NA

40 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks like a lovely place to go. I wish I lived a bit closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that place looks amazing. The food looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm looks lush! Will definitely be keeping this mind if I ever happen to be popping to Manc land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, everyhing looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks so nice! I think it's my dream to own somewhere like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scones, can eat them all day long! I love little places like this, makes such a change from all the chains!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a lovely place! I love halloumi cheese, now that stuff could turn me back from veganism! The scone looks fab too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a lovely place! That salad looks amazing, haloumi is such a great cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks lovely, esp the delicious scone! Disappointing about the sponge though - I find that's the easiest type of cake to get right so it's never a good sign when somewhere serves you a heavy version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh lovely, looks like a place that I would love! The tea timer is a great idea, not seen that before x

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhh I was up north this weekend and walked right past and thought to myself how lovely it looked! Will have to make sure i try it next time i'm in manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this place looks lovely! will have to pop in next time i'm up seeing the folks in Manc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, I love Teacup! I work around the corner so it's hard to keep out of there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the look of this place, will check out next time I'm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like my IDEAL hang out! See through tea dispensers, hallumi, lovely design and lovely crockery....win!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww what a charming little cafe, that salad looks delish!! I'm so in need of a Manchester visit soon x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This place looks so pretty, I love reading posts like this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The food looks amazing! It looks liek a really nice idea for a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable little shop- I love the decor. And the food looks so delicious :) I hope you find yourself some Burleigh pottery- there's something about indigo and white crockery that's so appealing :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing this it is now on the top of my places to visit list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds lovely, I have never been to Manchester but tea and cakes wins me over every time!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh this looks amazing!! I wish it had been there when I was at uni. Sadly, tea and cakes weren't 'in' in those days!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a fab place isn't it? Much better than going to Starbucks, Nero or Costa that are on every corner.

    I'm the opposite to your fiance I'm afraid. Stereotypical Manc that I am. I can count the times I've been to Liverpool on one hand in all my 25 years!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like that place, I've been a few times.

    I may live in Manchester but I'm also a anti Manchester pro Liverpool. I miss it so much, so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. we're a little anti manchester, just because we love leeds so much not really for any other reason, but I bet this place could change my mind too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum yum tea & cake is always good I agree! I have heard about this place before but never been. I am very rarely in Manchester, it's one place I want to start going to more!

    ReplyDelete
  27. owww i really like mr scruff!! the food looks amazing, wish I went there when i went to manchester =/

    ReplyDelete
  28. hello :) i've read your blog for 2 years now and i thought now would be the time to finally comment :D

    i live in manchester and the teacup is awesome, though next time i would recommend oklahoma, its only down the road from tea cup, still in northern 1/4- and its a treat and a half!

    planning on (finally) going to liverpool soon, so might take a few recommendations that you have posted on the blog as hotspots! as for leeds? everyone loves leeds- i've had one of the best weekends of my life there.

    yay for the north!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Despite living in Manchester, and walking past Teacup about twice a week (my best friend lives round the corner), I've never been. Must rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. yummy and now im hungry x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh that looks lovely! I love halloumi too - but I like your reasoning the best. It is uber squeaky. Amazing when grilled. Yum. If I'm ever in Manchester, I'm totally seeking out this place!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I went to Teacup yesterday! I loved it. Tried the jasmine pearls tea and it was incredible. Such cute interior design too. Love your pictures! :)

    www.saysingrid.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love the look of this place, i haven't been to manchester for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  34. omg clotted cream and scones are the BEST. this place looks nommy and love how the wall matches your outfit :P

    ReplyDelete
  35. omg can't believe i used the word 'nommy'. SHAME.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks fab! I love tea, halloumi and cake :D I think a trip to Manchester is due :)

    http://pinklittlebean.blogspot.com/ x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ohh next time you're in Manchester you should visit North Tea Power on Tib Street, it's the best tea shop ever!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I LOVE Teacup! I took my boyfriend here this time last year to give him his birthday presents! I love how the tea comes with lots of little flowers in the big pots!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails