Sunday, 22 May 2011

Pesto roasted chicken

DSC01093

Today I made my first roast dinner all by myself! I often volunteer on Mother's Day or birthdays to do the Sunday dinner but inevitably my Mum ends up interferring because she likes things done her way whereas I like to do things a bit differently. However, today for some reason I managed to do it all alone. I roasted a chicken with a pesto butter rub under the skin and jamon serrano on top of the breast. Oh my, it was delicious! I'll share the recipe below: 

125g butter, softened
Juice of one lemon
Large handful of basil
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic

Whizz all of the above ingredients together in a food processor then rub in in between the chicken skin and meat. (This gets your hands very dirty and it feels almost gross but good in a weird way.) Stuff the chicken cavity with 2 garlic cloves and a whole peeled onion. Roast in the oven at gas mark 6 for about an hour and a half. Halfway through the roasting time, cover the breast with about 4 slices of jamon serrano or parma ham. 

This was SO delicious! Sometimes roast chicken can be so boring and dry, but this was oozing with flavour and the chicken was so tender and delicious. I really recommend using butter rubs in future. I think I'll play around with these and maybe do some Moroccan inspired chicken rubs. There are endless possibilities. 




By the way, thank you for all the comments on my last post. I think my blog will change quite a bit over the next few months, more recipes, more house stuff, more laid back. I think then I'll be able to find my blogging groove again. Oh and in a bid to raise some money to buy things when we move I am selling some things on eBay including the above items; a River Island skirt, Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop skirt and New Look red blazer. Nothing is listed above £5 so get bidding today! We will probably be putting the money towards a dining room table...or a big American style fridge that Scott is obsessed with. Hmm.

Have you got any favourite Sunday dinner recipes to share with me? 



23 comments:

  1. Looks good! Want to give this a try next week! Tank you for posting x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had roast chicken today as well. I normally rub some olive oil over the chicken then put crushed garlic all over then sprinkle on some rosemary, its lovely :) Oh and if I have a lemon handy I put that in the cavity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh looks nice, I made a lemon, honey and garlic chicken thingy today (good name isn't it?)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh your roast sounds amazing Helen! We never have roasts at home, being a pretty traditional Chinese family, I always get so jealous reading about everyone's Sunday feasts haha (: xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. daw, I wish they were in my size, that skirt is so cute!

    that chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks like my dream chicken :] I will have to try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive stuff! I've got a recipe for chicken giouvetsi that I'm dying to try out, and on a much less classy note I made my first ever scouse today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I love to make roast rib of beef with roast potatoes and roasted veggies... a pretty much bung in the oven and it tastes great kinda meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious, and simple too! Will definitely have to surprise my parents and give it a try! I posted one of my favourite recipes last week too: http://whatoliviadid.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-olivia-cooked-vegetable-lasagne.html

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.desdeabajo-gircuri.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! I'm pretty helpless when it comes to cooking actual meals. Sweets and desserts I can handle, but I need to work on everything else! I can't wait to see more recipes on here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE rubs with chicken, the seriously make ALL the difference!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks good. I always add butter when I make roasted chicken, it just elevates the flavor and moistens really well. I always add rosemary and thyme to my chicken. Good luck with the new direction of your blog. I'm a new blogger and I blog on whatever inspires me instead of what will make people read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your roast looks and sounds totally delicious. I haven't done one in yonks because mum is so obsessed with cooking in our house haha


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking forward to the change of blog focus. I love your blog posts but I can understand how we need to spice things up as we get older and our interests change. I for one am going to keep a special folder for your recipes!

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to attempt to bake my best friend a birthday cake next week - should get you on Skype call to help me out haha :) but seriously, I'm probably going to use one of your recipes so fingers crossed i won't mess it up! Congrats on finishing your MA and everything lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum, that recipe sounds delicious. I like Jamie Oliver's lemon roast chicken on a Sunday. Will definitely try this next week, though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm the chicken looks so tasty I almost could smell it!
    Hope you got enough money for your American style fridge, I would love to get one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Taking the laidback approach is the way to go. Reduce the pressure, there's too much of it in the rest of life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohmygodthislooksamazing! Definitely going to try it. Ross takes his roast dinners very seriously so think this recipe will go down a treat :) Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  21. ooh I'd never have thought to put pesto with roast chicken. Sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yum this looks amazing! I need to try this!
    claire x

    http://moncheri2311.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails