Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Fashion babylon

Monday morning

dress - h&m
shoes - clarks

This dress is a staple work dress for me now. It is easy to throw on in the morning when my hair is wrapped up in a towel turban, has big pockets handy for carrying around junk in and is so so comfy. I have had this dress a long time (since I was an undergraduate) and have wore it lots and lots and lots. In fact I've worn it so much that's now a bit baggy on me, but not worn out yet. I will be so upset when it does finally bite the dust. 

fashionbabylon

This week I've been reading this trashy fashion novel, Fashion Babylon, after being recommended it by a colleague. It's part fiction, part fact. It follows a designer across 6 months and is peppered with so many fashion anecdotes, but it's also an inside peek into the real world of fashion and how a collection is really produced, from the Polish seamstress copying m&s shirts at the last minute, to the mad buying appointments with shops from small fashion boutiques to the big names such as Harrods or Saks. It also discusses the intricate details of the mark ups designers put on their clothes, which are then further marked up by the shops. One really interesting bit was about 'seeding' which is when designer's PRs target celebrities to give freebies to and then hope and pray that they wear them. It kind of reminded me of how some high street stores are now 'seeding' bloggers to give freebies to! I'm taking the whole book with a pinch of salt but some of the facts & anecdotes are rather interesting. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has the slightest bit of interest in fashion. 

Have you read any good trashy books lately? At the moment I'm not reading much, but this was the perfect way to de-stress as it was so easy to read and entertaining. 


20 comments:

  1. I love that book, pure trash and such a guilty pleasure! I've just finished "meet me at the cupcake cafe"..that was pretty good and girly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all those "Babylon" books, but I think the plane one was actually my favourite. I just finished a really fab book called Into the Darkest Corner (by Elizabeth Haynes) which I'd recommend if you like psychological thriller type reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress, I think I have it as well, does it have a tulle underskirt? The book sounds really interesting too, if I didn't have such a big list of books to read I'd definitely give it a go


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I've read all of those books, I love a trashy read sometimes. I thought the bit about the pink mac lipstick was funny and I found the bit about plus size fashion interesting.
    I went to the Gregynog library conference yesterday, if you ever get the chance to visit you should, such a ncie place
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love items of clothing that you never get tired of! Great dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book - filled with gossip that may or may not be true! But enjoyable all the same.

    You look fab and that is a great dress. Totally love your polaroid wall too! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not trashy per se, but I just read the first of the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series - Death at Wentworth Court. So much fun and really quick and easy to read. Plus I can't resist a bit of fiction set in the 20's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need some new trashy books to read so this is perfect! I love the dress too :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. haven't read a "trashy" book in a while, maybe I should pick it up.

    and I absolutely love awesome dresses with pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore books. They provide such escapism... it's nice to leave the real world sometimes.

    You are beautiful, your hair, your shape, your clothes. It's all a dream!


    hope to hear from you*!
    www.amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book has been on my ‘must read’ list for ages! Sounds like an addictive read. Hopefully when I’m not busy with uni I’ll have time to pick it up! Gosh that dress is gorgeous. You look so cute in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been rubbish at reading any fiction recently, I just never seem to have the time! Love that dress, I have a denim one that is just so comfortable too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh it's heartbreaking when you have to finally admit to yourself that a favourite item of clothing has seen better days. It normally happens to my jeans... i wear them until they literally fall apart!
    I really like your dress, lets hope it lasts and lasts and lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wat zie je er leuk uit!
    Echt een mooi jurkje :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woops, forgot to write my comment in English, excuse me :D
    So here we go again:
    You're looking great!
    And that's a beautiful dress :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that dress, I used to have the same one in a different colour!
    I never really read "trashy" books (cannot stand chick-lit, BAH!), but it does sound interesting to hear about the fashion world from the inside. It sounds like it would be a crazy place to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been stalking this dress on ebay ut never purchased it haha, it is so nice!

    And I like your new haircut, you look fresher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looooove this dress. Many a'time I've spent on eBay trying to find one in my size but they're quite few & far between & when I do find them, I always forget about the listing. Bah!

    I enjoyed Air Babylon which is in the same series. Very entertaining, especially since I read it when I worked at the airport. People were saying it was so far-fetched but I was reading it & nodding along with every single cliche! It was all true! Hehe.

    On holiday I read a Kathy Reichs book which are quite easy to indulge in, I'm trying to ease myself back into reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm reading Postcards from the Edge at the moment! I love a bit of trash ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails