Wednesday, 8 June 2011

June already?!

Blackcurrants

Blackcurrant and almond cake

Cafetiere cosy

I can't quite believe it's June already! Here is a quick recap of things I've been up to: 

  • Gardening and baking. My blackcurrant plants have produced a real bounty of blackcurrants, so I baked a lovely blackcurrant and almond cake. It was so moist & delicious. The recipe for it can be found here. My courgette plants are just starting to become established so hopefully I will have a glut of courgettes in a few weeks if the snails can keep off them, and my strawberry plants are currently going bananas. 
  • Crocheting again! I made this little cafetiere cosy over the weekend WITH NO PATTERN! Well, I found a pattern in this book from the library, but when I started looking at it I realised that it was too big and not suitable for my cafetiere as the handles are at different positions so I just made it up. It's a bit slapdash on the bit where it buttons together as you can see here, but I'm really pleased with it overall. I need to teach myself to stop missing stitches or adding extra ones in though when working in rows! I find crocheting in the round so much easier for some reason. 
  • Aaand.. buying a house! It is really scary and I've been trying to keep quiet about it because I'm paranoid like that, but things seem to be going smoothly at the moment and the survey's been done and the solicitors are starting to do their thing so it seems a bit more real now. It's been quite stressful at times because you want to do so much to help the process along but you can't; and then there's the money worries too. But I am so excited about our first house together and can't wait to get in and decorate. Here's hoping the rest of the process goes smoothly! (I am still oh so paranoid something will go terribly wrong and we'll be heartbroken...wish us luck!)
  • Running & shredding. Oh my gosh, I am SO achey today after doing the 30 Day Shred yesterday! I never used to ache like that after it but I'm thinking maybe this is a good sign that I'm actually putting more effort in now that I'm fitter? I also have a black toenail at the moment from running because my trainers are actually terrible now, but I'm getting new ones for my birthday next month hopefully. 
  • And looking forward to the Manchester Meet-up! This Saturday between 2-4 at Nexus, Dale Street, Manchester, a group of fashion bloggers are meeting up for tea & cake to discuss blogging and meet each other. I'm really looking forward to it and hope that afterwards some of the other bloggers enthusiasm will rub off on me and I can throw myself back into the blog, because although I have felt at times like deleting it, I have also missed it too. Please come along to the meet up if you're in the North West or invite any bloggers you know in the area!

28 comments:

  1. Love the crocheting! I always get utterly confused when crocheting in the round - forget where the start starts and the end ends. Get in a right confused state even with markers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cafetiere cosy!!

    Good luck with buying a house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love blackcurrants, so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, buying a house must be so exciting! I'm sure you'll decorate it in a beautiful way, you have such great taste :)

    And love the cafetiere, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh buying a house is scary stuff, good luck!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting buying a house!
    I'm really looking forward to the blogger meet up - see you on saturday.
    www.ablogfromblackpool.com
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh that cake looks rather lovely! the only thing i've ever grown is strawberries, i'd love to try growing some courgettes too. wow good luck with the house, hope everything goes well for you. can't wait to see how you decorate it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blackberries look completely delicious, and the cake sounds amazing! Must try that one.

    Huge congrats on the house - how exciting for you and Scott! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly... sure it will though! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos.

    Congratulations on the house. Wishing you both every happiness in your first home together.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting news about the house Helen! I'll ask you on Saturday about where it is - I don't want to make you reveal all online but you know I'm nosy!

    *adds that recipe to the folder*

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy:) Congrats on buying a house! It will be a long time before we can do that, unless we decide to move somewhere else (housing here is outrageously expensive). Anyway, I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the house! And YES everything is going by so quickly, but I'm glad about it because each day brings me closer to the semester break (funny because I haven't even started school yet)! Though sometimes I do want to scream STOP and hit the Pause Button of Life.

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the new house!! :D That sounds so exciting! I really hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good to hear from you again- sounds like you've been quite busy :) How exciting that you're buying your first house! I'm sure everything will fall into place in the end and you'll make your new home lovely. I wish I could crochet like you! I've always wanted to learn but I just don't have the patience. Good luck with the Manchester Meet-up, I'm sure it will be heaps of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with the house! We're moving from a flat into a house as well and I'm also rather excited about the decorating bit!

    Love your crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know how stressful house buying can be, it will all be worth it once you have your place :-) That cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Nexus; wish I was still in the North West so I could come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cake looks AMAZING.

    And fingers crossed for you about the house! I know how stressful and worrying it is. Mine took a long time to complete but now I've been there 6 months and it's just a distant memory! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so good to see a post from you again!

    I hope everything goes well for you in buying your first house:)

    Also, I hope you have fun at the Blogger meet up:D xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG House!Good luck, that sounds so exciting. My fingers are crossed it works out ok for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with the house buying! :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOh GOOD LUCK on finalising everything with the house!! I cant even imagine how excited you must feel ! :) I have been doing 30 shred too, actually just about to do today's bit! Eek, it's so much fun getting shreded like this :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, so exciting about the house! I suspect you are going to have the best (decorated) kitchen, EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh! that cake looks delicious! and buying a house sounds quite exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots of achievements there on your list, growing fruit n veg, crocheting, fitness and you're buying your own house, woo exciting times! :) how long does the house-buying process take? or is that a bit like saying 'how long is a piece of string?' :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. The cosy is the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  27. june already...exactly. oh good luck with the house. i know how stressful it can be. when i bought my flat, the seller pulled out a couple of weeks before and i was heartbroken. but it wasn't meant to be & i found another which was much better. i'm a big believer in fate with housebuying :-) i'm sure it will all go to plan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails