Friday, 24 June 2011

Running for cake

Coffee & walnut father's day cake

Coffee & walnut cake

I love coffee and coffee flavoured things. I am so upset that both Quality Street and Roses no longer do their coffee chocolates anymore. They were the best out of the whole box. However coffee seems to divide opinions. Scott is a coffee hater, therefore I never usually make many coffee flavoured things. However for Father's Day I decided to make this delicious coffee & walnut cake as both my Dad & Grandad are coffee lovers too. I used a Nigella Lawson recipe as she likes her coffee flavour to be quite strong, using espresso powder. The walnuts are also ground finely with the sugar, meaning that the cake is smooth with no chunks but with a slight nutty flavour. The buttercream was also AMAZING! And the best thing about this cake was that it was literally just 'throw everything into your food processor, mix, cook, DONE'. The recipe is available here. About half of the cake was leftover so I took it into work and it went down so well. Some people even said that they don't like coffee cakes usually but enjoyed this one immensely.


Since doing my run in Manchester in May, I have been a bit lazy with my running. I need the motivation of the race to keep me going. So, I have entered another race in September! It is the Southport 10k  and on the 4th September I'll be running along that promenade in the photograph above. 500m of the race is on the actual sand, which I think may be quite hard. However I am aiming for a sub 55 10k, which considering I have 11 weeks until the race and my current PB is 59.55, should be doable with lots of training and effort. I've devised a training plan to keep me motivated and committed. I think that if I KNOW I have to go for a run on a certain day and do a certain time or a certain speed, then I will stick to it. I really want to get that sub 55 10k! Then my next aim is for the Liverpool half marathon in March. I love running and how it helps me destress and I can feel my body getting stronger with every run. You honestly cannot beat the feeling of getting a personal best or finding each run easier as you train. Now a 5k is my easy, short run but I remember when even running 2k was a challenge. Plus, running regularly means I never have to feel guilty for having a slice of cake again...

Tomorrow I am off to a wedding in Wales, which I am quite looking forward to! I have made the wedding cake and cupcakes for the wedding too, I'll share photos when I return. Wish me luck getting them all there in one piece. What is everyone else doing this weekend?

36 comments:

  1. Wow, I must admit I'm not a massive fan of coffee but that cake looks amazing and might just convert me!
    I'm sure your wedding baking will go down a treat and I can't wait to see the photos, good luck!

    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks like thee most delicious thing I have ever seen. I wish you could e-mail me a slice. Love your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coffee! That cake looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you for sticking at the running, I wish I could! Also, its great that people are noticing your talents and using your fab cooking skills for their wedding - if I ever somehow find a man and get married, will give you a call haha :) think I might try and make this cake when I go home, the whole food processor plan sounds like a good 'un!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness. you just made me drool! i love coffee and i love cake.. so that's a pretty good combination for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks amazing, I also love coffee flavoured things too! great news on entering another run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As coffee addicted as I am, I cannot abide coffee flavour things. That makes me sad, as that cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks so accomplished! I'm sure you're being modest about your baking skills :D
    I like reading about your running, I'm having real trouble getting beyond 2k at the moment (a bit pathetic!), so it's really encouraging to hear about the progress I can make with a bit of hard work. Running alongside the coast sounds really nice but I'm sure the sand will be tough. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake looks amazing.

    I'm not a coffee hater nor a coffee fan but I don't mind it in cake form.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks amazing (I'm typing this while drinking my mid-morning coffee at the office) I may need to bake a version of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been jogging, as well, but I don't have any races in mind. I suppose the only thing I'm training for is a 17 day camping trip that involves lots of hiking and carrying 60+lbs on my back the entire trip! I've barely started, but I'd love to be able to run that far! On another note, that cake sounds a-mazing. I love coffee. I wish I had a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cake looks AMAZING! *om nom*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a recent convert to coffee and so I LOVE coffee cake. Nom! I use a trusty Mary Berry recipe for mine and it turns out beautifully, even if I do say so myself. Awesome when made in muffin tins for nicely sized individual mini cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you made a wedding cake! Can't wait to see. The coffee cake looks delicious btw. Good for you on keeping with the running schedule. I need to get back on the wagon. Have been very lazy the past couple of months. It's so hard to get started again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love coffee flavoured things too. I have just bought a coffee cake from Morrisons, but it's nothing compared to yours. Yum. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake looks delicious! I really need to get a food processor!
    I'm buying my first pair of running shoes on Tuesday. I cant wait to start getting fit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum! I'm not a coffee drinker at all, but that cake makes my mouth water! Be sure to enter my £100 ASOS giveaway!

    x
    www.lostinthehaze.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I read your post about running and just wanted to tell you the shock absorber sports bras were 30% off in debenhams last week x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh that looks so amazing! I'm now super hungry and going in search of cake! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. a wedding in wales...wow i wished i lived in the uk! Have fun! also, not much of a coffee fan myself! Dont get caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't get over how insanely perfect your cake looks! You must have a very steady hand. Though I'm a coffee drinker, I'm not mad on coffee flavoured cakes or chocolates but this does look very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmm, i love coffee cake. this looks so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking forward to getting back into running now I've got the Three Peaks out of the way, I think it's good to keep entering yourself into races as it keeps up the momentum of the training. Can't wait to see the wedding cake! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh good god I want that cake. Can you post me a slice? Am crap at baking! :)
    I must get my act together and start running to justify my cake and sweet loving ways...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish I liked coffee cake because that cake looks amazing !

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. That cake looks like really good and I would eat it in a second. You are really talented at baking! I wish I was attending a wedding in Wales too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That cake looks quite frankly uh-MAZE-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love coffee cake (though I'm not much of a coffee person, more of cappuccino!). And yours looks amazing, so well made an mouth watering! Like every food you post fyi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The cake looks absolutely delicious! I hope you had a great time in Wales.

    My husband & I spent our weekend in London, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  30. yum yum yum your cake looks amazing!

    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really don't like coffee but that cake is such an eye treat! can you please e-mail me some of it (if there's still any left^^)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, it sounds like you've become quite accomplished with running! I can barely run a mile (which is, what, 2/3 of 1k?)... You go girl!!! I also love coffee and my boyfriend hates it... haha, more for me! That cake looks amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. this cake looks so delicious and beautiful! i adore coffee and coffee flavoured things too, i keep persuading my mum to make a gluten free (she has coeliac disease) coffee cake, hopefully she will soon :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. YUM! That cake looks so delicious! I want cake now lol. Thanks for sharing! I’m new to blogging and I just love how supportive and creative everyone is! If you have time, could you please check out my blog? http://shecooksandheeats.wordpress.com/ I would love some advice and feedback, and how to get more exposure :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails