Sunday, 11 September 2011

Breaking the silence

I haven't blogged for over a month now and I have missed it so so much. However, since becoming a home owner every weekend and evening has been spent doing DIY and other little jobs that need doing. I have spent more money on paint in the last few weeks than I have on clothes in the whole year. We are still living between 2 houses, staying at our house 75% of the time but then spending the rest of the time at my parents when we need clothes cleaning and long baths. Progress has definitely been made though and I have some updates to share with you soon (but I have left my camera and SD at my parents this weekend so you will have to make do with some cliched instagram photos). Meanwhile, here is a round up of what I've been up to the past month:


  • Enjoying walks around Sefton Park, which is just a stones throw from our house. 

  • Visited Center Parcs with my family, where it rained. A lot. 
  • Had a paint trauma in the guest room which involved us peeling back about 27 layers of old paint back to the plaster. 



  • Snaffled this blanket from my Nana for our house. Score!

  • Enjoyed the Liverpool Food Festival, notably Jamaican Me Stormy cocktails from Santa Chupitos




  • Got our kitchen fitted, finally! I love it so much. (It is not blue, that is just the protective film. It's really high gloss white underneath.) We will be getting it tiled soon and then it will be completely finished. 

  • And last night was spent wallpapering in the dining room. We also painted our blackboard wall this week which is just underneath it. I love the contrast between the wallpaper and the blackboard wall. Cannot wait to get this room finished, we just need new flooring fitted. 
Our aim is to be properly moved in by the end of October, so about 6 more weeks to go. We probably underestimated how much would need doing on the house when we bought it, and there have been many set backs like finding damp patches, water leaks, gas leaks, bubbling & peeling paint and breaking radiators. However, it is so satisfying to see the progress we have made compared to the 'before' photos, and I will be sharing some more updated photos soon. I am also loving living in Liverpool. The location of our house is absolutely perfect. I just can't wait until we can spend less time DIY-ing and more time enjoying the area around us. Hope everyone is well, tell me what you've all been up to the last month! 




24 comments:

  1. I've been checking back every day to see if you had updated! Sorry to hear you've had a few problems with the house, but I love the dining room so far! That wallpaper is amazing! Can't wait to see the completely finished house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! So sorry to hear about the house traumas, but glad to hear you're making progress. Doing up a house is so much work, I only helped with the general painting of my brother's house but it was still hard work! I'm very excited about this wallpaper and blackboard wall. Can't wait to see the finished photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, welcome back too! So exciting to hear about the progress made in your new house! You've achieved so much so fast! We're on a tight budget, so it's taken us a year and a half to finish (almost) our living room, bathroom, fix our roof and put on a new front door, as we have to save up as we go. But our kitchen will be next! How do you find your Ikea kitchen? I've chosen an Ikea kitchen for our house (Adel), but our joiners keep telling us Ikea kitchens aren't very good quality. Not sure if I believe them - they look sturdy enough to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I've missed you, but having just moved into my new flat in Leeds I can fully understand the time it takes - and we're only renting! Good luck with what's still left but congrats on getting as far as you have. It looks great so far!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what pretty wallpaper! it's so exciting, even hearing and seeing snippets. I am living vicariously through every new home owner at the moment!

    hope the rest goes smoothly!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all come along very quickly :) I love that wallpaper xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel. it's the best feeling, owning your own property.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how exciting! Most of our DIY's were only putting up ikea furniture, not very exciting! haha!Can't wait to see pictures- you should do before/after shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have been very busy! Glad your back mind. Your dining room sounds amazing.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have just put a blackboard wall in our kitchen and it is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to have you back Helen! Good luck with completing the paint job, and with fixing up the other odds and ends. It'll all be worth it when you can cosy up over the autumn and winter in the house. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Sefton Park. One of the only things I miss about my relationship with my ex. We used to go to the Tavern for breakfast and then for a walk round Sefton Park pretty much every Sunday.

    I love that wallpaper. And am v jealous of your kitchen! I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to afford to do mine. The £1440 I just had to fork out for a new boiler has set me back somewhat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it's so nice to see you back again!

    The pictures you've shown of your house on twitter so far have looked amazing - I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to have a post from you, can not wait to see more of your new place, I think I'll be stealing a lot of interior design inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you're back! That wallpaper is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the progress you've made in your new nome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations for your new home!
    Here, in Spain, we´ll miss you this month!

    xxxxxx
    Luzía
    http://cositasbonitasparaseoritas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woohoo its looking awesome! :D Glad to see another blog post from you pop up in my feed. About to make an offer on a house I like here, the current owners have already done it up in a black and white colour scheme but I think that'll make a good base to add my own little touches to it with furnishings :)

    Kc

    http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's good to hear from you again :) I love your new kitchen- looking very sleek so far! It's amazing how topsy-turvy life can feel when in the process of renovating... I'm glad you're hanging in there and imagining the finished result, good luck with it all :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, I remember decorating a house for the first time and feeling horrified at the amount I spent on paint, and we thought paint would be the cheaper option... it probably still was like but wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck with the DIYing. I know how much work goes into a new home and it actually never really stops, LOL. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you're back! It looks like your house is really coming along! It might be a hassle getting through all the DIY-ing right now, but it'll be worth it in the end. I just know your place will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome back, excited to see that your house is coming along, it looks great :)

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails