Sunday, 30 October 2011

Our living room

Phew, what a few weeks! In the last 3 weeks or so our house has gone from a shell with very little furniture or character to a cosy home.

Today I'm going to share with you our living room. It is so lovely to come home from work and have a nice room to relax in. Here are some before photos:

  Living room

Living room

As you can see, it was pretty boring with cheap laminate, brown chimney breast, single glazed windows and magnolia everywhere (much like the rest of the house...). There wasn't even a radiator in the living room! It is much warmer and cosier now with carpet, double glazing and a radiator. 

And now, after:


Living room


Living room

Living room 


Living room

Living room

Living room

The settee is from Ikea, as is the matching footstool. The arm chair is a hand me down which was once my great-grandmothers. The curtains are from John Lewis (although not our first choice, we did want Sanderson dandelion clocks in red but the widths weren't right and made to measure ones too expensive, maybe one day!) and the telephone box cushion is from b&q. The coffee table is a second hand find and the bookshelves are hand built by Scott. 

Now that we are settled in the house, it is so nice having free time in the evenings and weekends. Hopefully this will mean I can get back to blogging, because I have missed it so! I will soon share the dining room & kitchen too. Tonight we're off to the Liverpool halloween lantern parade at Sefton Park, we went last year and it is so good! Hopefully I will be able to snap some half decent photos although it was quite hard to last year. Hope everyone else has been enjoying the halloween weekend!

36 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous Helen! I love the red theme, very patriotic :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, love the cushion and the dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the telephone and the red feature walls, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, such a warm, cozy, comfortable space! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a transformation!! And I am so gutted I have only just heard about the lantern parade!1 I just moved into this area so still learning what there is to do around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks gorgeous love the bright red. Great job! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the vintage feel, with the old telephone and telephone box cushion!!
    http://oliviadollydaydream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love it! What a transformation!

    I'm in love with the John Lewis fabric you mention too, I've been lusting after the lampshades for our hallway forever. They're going on the wedding list and crossing my fingers very, very tightly! I also adore the Hemingway poster. I re-read Farewell to Arms recently, it's such a wonderful book.

    I can't wait to see more of your decor, I just know it will be fabulous.

    Loveaudrey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, it's absolutely gorgeous. All your hard work has paid off so well! Can't wait to see the rest of the house :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home looks absolutely lovely!

    You have such a natural talent for decorating. I know it took such a lot of effort and hard work, but these photos look *so* worth it - it really is a beautiful cosy home!

    I hope you're finally getting the chance to relax and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely and retro. Well done on all your hard work.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Hemmingway poster!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it looks fantastic! I love the sofa, such a great colour x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like how you furnished and decorated the room.. it looks very warm and cosy and it has character as well.
    the armchair is my favourite piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helen... your house looks absolutley GORGEOUS! You've done such a great reno job. I love everything about it :) I think I might have to buy myself one of those telephone cushions now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love the hand-me-down chair! I'm on the hunt for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The place looks amazing, so cosy and bright! Can't wait to see the other rooms. And I want that telephone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! It's lovely. When I get my own place can you please come decorate for me? ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely room. It is nice to finally see the coffe table in place (you bought it from my little unit at Lady Heyes).
    Good luck with the rest of the makeover and thanks for lovely blog about my unit all those months ago. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm all smiles for you. I know how hard you've worked to have that house. You've made it look really special and homely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your living room is so cute! I love the red, white, and grey color palette, and the secondhand furniture mixed with the new. Can't wait to see the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks wonderful, you must be over the moon with it. I love the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So gorgeous, loads of character :) Jealous! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love what you've done with your living room. Looks so cozy!!! Wow, you guys did a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah congrats Helen! It looks great!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the colour on your wall. What make and colour is it please. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been a fan of this blog for just a few days now ... I really am enjoying myself here.
    Thank you so much!
    Living Room Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous - the red is b&q feature wall paint in rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That telephone box pillow is the cutest thing ever! I wish it was available online.

    Oh, and the house is looking wonderful and so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for response on the paint. How about the cream is it b&q too

    ReplyDelete
  32. it looks great, I love the shelves, we have so many in our living room too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks amazing, Helen! I love the curtains, that fab telephone cushion and all the pops of red. Can't wait to see the rest of your place!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails