Saturday, 5 November 2011

Jazzing up drawers

Old chest of drawers

I did this DIY a few weeks ago. Scott had this plain old boring set of drawers that we were going to put in the bedroom but they seemed so bland to me. I toyed with the idea of just jazzing them up with new handles, but then I saw this chest of drawers on Apartment Therapy and decided that turquoise drawers would look fabulous in our bedroom. 

Lush, no? 

However, finding the right turquoise furniture paint was a problem! We had been spending a lot of time in b&q (oh how I hate b&q...) so I looked there but there weren't any right shades. So, I decided to look on eBay and found this japlac paint, which is a high gloss lacquer that comes in some really great colours. However, the tin is really tiny and I was worried I wouldn't have enough paint. 

Japlac paint

I sanded down and prepped all of the drawer then got to painting straight away. I made the mistake of painting all of the frame all in one go and then ended up with some dodgy runs of paint down the side as the gloss dried slowly but also dripped because it's so thick. The perils of gloss. If I did this again, I would do it in turns and do the top first, let it dry, then turn it on it's side and do one side and so on, so that everything could dry horizontally. 

Painted chest of drawers
Frame nearly finished. 

Then I painted the fronts of the drawers (after taking the handles off) and let it all dry. Luckily one small tin was enough for this DIY. Then I decided to paint the handles yellow with some leftover emulsion and then varnished over it with some gloss varnish so that it would have the same high gloss finish as the drawers.

And ta-da!

Drawers

Finished drawers! I really love them and think that they add a great zing of colour to our bedroom which has a lot of grey in it. It was really easy to do and I do recommend the Japlac paint because it gives such a nice finish, but I would be careful with it to avoid runs. Have you tried any DIYs lately?  


31 comments:

  1. They look fab. Such a striking colour too.

    I have got a few project to do, My youngest's wardrobe and draws but she still hasn't decided quite what to do, so it might not be for a while yet!

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this! Such an easy way to brighten up a room!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh lovely! I bought a bedside table for £1 in a chaoirty shop, sanded it and painted it cream. Got some lovely pink glass handles for it. Looks amazing and still cheaper then anything I could have bought
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh these look so good, I love the colour you chose!
    I'm itching to decorate my flat, but because it's rented I can't really do anything. Buying a cheap set of drawers and doing something like this would be perfect to add a bit of colour to my room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look amazing! The colours are so vibrant. Great job lady :)

    I think I'll be following in your footsteps and painting a set of drawers and a wardrobe. Not looking forward to it, I must admit :p

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so pretty! I love the colours' contrast with each other. ♥

    Saraah ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fab, such a good idea! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I love the colours you chose :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i love them! the colours will look really striking in your room. you've inspired me to thrift some furniture and do it up now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO cute !!! Such a perfect color and I love the touch of yellow x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love this transformation. I am quite a fan of turquoise, it's such a beautiful colour for interiors.
    Your house is fast becoming a beautiful home x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how pretty- it's amazing what a coat of paint can do! My bedside table desperately needs a makeover too but DIY is really not my forte... I wish I had your skills and patience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look amazing! Love the yelow handles.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I always love the look of DIYs but I'm always too lazy to do it. Maybe I should start though… these look so good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really bad at DIY but willing to give it ago as I love redecorating and styling rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow these look great, such a gorgeous colour! I'm tempted to paint my bookcase to add a bit more colour in my room! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. These drawers look amazing! Seriously professional, and I love the colours you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a wonderful job and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. DIY projects like these are so much fun. I love the zingy colours you chose. I went on a major furniture painting spree last year and painted the chests of drawers in my room blue and green. I've also inherited a dresser which I want to paint but can't decide on colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. aw they look brilliant! i really wish i had my own home to decorate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought the second picture was the 'after' for a moment - I thought you'd made them look like a whole new set of drawers! :s Love the high gloss finish on them, they look like something from a really high end expensive interiors shop - well done!

    I don't do a lot of furniture makeovers but I was pleased with my decoupage table effort: http://teteenlair-headintheclouds.blogspot.com/2011/07/project-restyle-july.html

    (Yes I ripped up a book, and yes it was a very hard thing to do. I see it as giving the story more exposure...!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this gorgeous DIY, I can't wait to do this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delightful pair of drawers! I'm just about to paint a coffee table white. My colour scheme for walls and furniture is white because I have so many colourful books, records and artworks that I don't want to use too many colours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so, so gorgeous! Such a pretty colour combination, I love them! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so much better than they originally did! Every piece of furniture in my bedroom is also painted, it makes such a huge difference :)

    Jazz xo
    cupcakesnsweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE this so much! especially the pop of yellow on the handles! X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails